PDA

View Full Version : M$oft didn't choose either nVidia nor ATI for X-Box

i'm_tired
November 5th 03, 01:38 AM
http://news.com.com/2100-1043-5102081.html

an exerpt

[...]" "We're integrating SIS' cutting-edge, media I/O technologies into
future products to create innovative Xbox products and services that serve
the digital entertainment lifestyle." Todd Holmdahl, general manager of Xbox
hardware, said in a statement.

Changing partners comes with advantages and risks, said Kevin Krewell,
senior editor of The Microprocessor Report. On one hand, Microsoft will get
access to a broad new portfolio of intellectual property it can use to
fashion customized chips for its console.

Switching partners can also clear away some of the bad feelings that arose
in regard to the first Xbox. For Intel, supplying 733-MHz Pentium IIIs to
Microsoft had become a low-margin business, Krewell said. Nvidia and
Microsoft, meanwhile, went to arbitration over their contract. At the time,
Nvidia was afraid that it would get stuck with unusable chips or have to
sell parts at a loss. " [...]

i'm_tired
November 5th 03, 01:39 AM

Darthy
November 5th 03, 03:13 AM
Simply proves that going into the bedroom with M$ means getting it the
ass... the only true unknown, is if KY Jelly is used or not.

Perhaps... Nvidia refused to work on the XBox2?

Xbox2 sales are still weak, I would never buy one. Unlike SONY and
Nintendo - M$ hasn't made a dime on the XBOX.

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 00:38:04 GMT, "i'm_tired"
> wrote:

>http://news.com.com/2100-1043-5102081.html
>
>an exerpt
>
>[...]" "We're integrating SIS' cutting-edge, media I/O technologies into
>future products to create innovative Xbox products and services that serve
>the digital entertainment lifestyle." Todd Holmdahl, general manager of Xbox
>hardware, said in a statement.
>
>Changing partners comes with advantages and risks, said Kevin Krewell,
>senior editor of The Microprocessor Report. On one hand, Microsoft will get
>access to a broad new portfolio of intellectual property it can use to
>fashion customized chips for its console.
>
>Switching partners can also clear away some of the bad feelings that arose
>in regard to the first Xbox. For Intel, supplying 733-MHz Pentium IIIs to
>Microsoft had become a low-margin business, Krewell said. Nvidia and
>Microsoft, meanwhile, went to arbitration over their contract. At the time,
>Nvidia was afraid that it would get stuck with unusable chips or have to
>sell parts at a loss. " [...]

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

zlo
November 5th 03, 03:39 AM
yeah you are right.. Xbox2 sales are pretty weak right now. however, the
xbox is doing great, and much better than the gamecube is doing. it is also
catching up to PS2 now, because we all know that the xbox is more future
proof than the other two, and the gamecube/ps2 technology is just old and
weak. people are getting tired of them now, and it is showing in increased
xbox sales. it will only continue upward until the xbox2 is released.

--
"Darthy" > wrote in message
> Simply proves that going into the bedroom with M$ means getting it the
> ass... the only true unknown, is if KY Jelly is used or not.
>
> Perhaps... Nvidia refused to work on the XBox2?
>
> Xbox2 sales are still weak, I would never buy one. Unlike SONY and
> Nintendo - M$ hasn't made a dime on the XBOX.
>

> On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 00:38:04 GMT, "i'm_tired"
> > wrote:
>
> >http://news.com.com/2100-1043-5102081.html
> >
> >an exerpt
> >
> >[...]" "We're integrating SIS' cutting-edge, media I/O technologies into
> >future products to create innovative Xbox products and services that
serve
> >the digital entertainment lifestyle." Todd Holmdahl, general manager of
Xbox
> >hardware, said in a statement.
> >
> >Changing partners comes with advantages and risks, said Kevin Krewell,
> >senior editor of The Microprocessor Report. On one hand, Microsoft will
get
> >access to a broad new portfolio of intellectual property it can use to
> >fashion customized chips for its console.
> >
> >Switching partners can also clear away some of the bad feelings that
arose
> >in regard to the first Xbox. For Intel, supplying 733-MHz Pentium IIIs to
> >Microsoft had become a low-margin business, Krewell said. Nvidia and
> >Microsoft, meanwhile, went to arbitration over their contract. At the
time,
> >Nvidia was afraid that it would get stuck with unusable chips or have to
> >sell parts at a loss. " [...]
> >

> --
> Remember when real men used Real computers!?
> When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
>
> Death to Palladium & WPA!!

ec
November 5th 03, 03:39 AM
"Darthy" > wrote in message
> Simply proves that going into the bedroom with M$ means getting it the
> ass... the only true unknown, is if KY Jelly is used or not.
>
> Perhaps... Nvidia refused to work on the XBox2?
>
> Xbox2 sales are still weak, I would never buy one. Unlike SONY and
> Nintendo - M$ hasn't made a dime on the XBOX.
>

> On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 00:38:04 GMT, "i'm_tired"
> > wrote:
>
> >http://news.com.com/2100-1043-5102081.html
> >
> >an exerpt
> >
> >[...]" "We're integrating SIS' cutting-edge, media I/O technologies into
> >future products to create innovative Xbox products and services that
serve
> >the digital entertainment lifestyle." Todd Holmdahl, general manager of
Xbox
> >hardware, said in a statement.
> >
> >Changing partners comes with advantages and risks, said Kevin Krewell,
> >senior editor of The Microprocessor Report. On one hand, Microsoft will
get
> >access to a broad new portfolio of intellectual property it can use to
> >fashion customized chips for its console.
> >
> >Switching partners can also clear away some of the bad feelings that
arose
> >in regard to the first Xbox. For Intel, supplying 733-MHz Pentium IIIs to
> >Microsoft had become a low-margin business, Krewell said. Nvidia and
> >Microsoft, meanwhile, went to arbitration over their contract. At the
time,
> >Nvidia was afraid that it would get stuck with unusable chips or have to
> >sell parts at a loss. " [...]
> >

> --
> Remember when real men used Real computers!?
> When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
>
> Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Xbox2 doesn't even exist so how the **** are its "sales weak"? Moron.

Lenny
November 5th 03, 06:34 AM
> however, the
> xbox is doing great, and much better than the gamecube is doing

And you got concrete numbers backing that up of course, right?

Anyway, what does sales matter? Get the system with the games you like, why
do you care which system SELLS the most? Do you buy cars too simply because
one model sells more than the others?

>. it is also catching up to PS2 now, because we all know that the xbox is
more future
> proof than the other two, and the gamecube/ps2 technology is just old and
> weak. people are getting tired of them now, and it is showing in increased
> xbox sales.

Haha, you fanboys are so amusing. Catching up to PS2? When do you expect XB
to catch up, really? Sometime before 2006, or after? ;) Sony only has a 30+
million unit head-start after all.

When your market penetration has reached the level Sony has, naturally sales
will start to slow since most people who want a PS2 will already have one.
Expect Sony to start lowering their prices more.

> it will only continue upward until the xbox2 is released.

No, it won't, XB sales will start to slow too, especially as the next
generation of consoles approaches. That's only natural, except to die-hard
fanboy nutcases that let their self-image be controlled by the market
performance of their hardware of choice...

TheHasselhoff
November 5th 03, 07:18 AM
> And you got concrete numbers backing that up of course, right?

Um... it's pretty common knowledge that Xbox is the clear winner of the #2
console position. It has been for over 6 months. I recommend checking out
just about ANY console gaming website, you'll get your numbers there.

> Anyway, what does sales matter? Get the system with the games you like,
why
> do you care which system SELLS the most?

Because people don't want to buy a system that doesn't have longevity. Why
spend all that money on a console that won't have any new games made in six
months? Its why the Dreamcast was commanding a $100 price tag - right up
until the moment Sega announced support was ending.

> Do you buy cars too simply because
> one model sells more than the others?

Well, that's a really bad analogy - but, then again, I would think that
replacement parts for a well-selling car would be cheaper than others.
(Yes, this has nothing to do with consoles, but like I said - your analogy
is really bad.)

> Haha, you fanboys are so amusing. Catching up to PS2? When do you expect
XB
> to catch up, really? Sometime before 2006, or after? ;) Sony only has a
30+
> million unit head-start after all.

MS won't catch up to the PS2 - but the next generation of consoles (Xbox2,
PS3) will be a different story. While I think Sony will still have an edge,
MS will be much closer in that battle.

TheHasselhoff
November 5th 03, 07:19 AM
> Xbox2 sales are still weak, I would never buy one.

Gee, Mr. McFly, I guess you spent all of your money on a new DeLorean or
something?

TheForce
November 5th 03, 09:02 AM
All of the money you made on sports bets???
"TheHasselhoff" > wrote in message
. com...
> > Xbox2 sales are still weak, I would never buy one.
>
> Gee, Mr. McFly, I guess you spent all of your money on a new DeLorean or
> something?

zlo
November 5th 03, 09:54 AM
dude, from my perception, xbox is the clear choice. i'm an artist, and i
like pretty games that run smooth. i can't even watch the ugliness of ps2
games. you however must be able to withstand it. so whatever your opinion
is, you can have your ps2. i'm happy for ya

--
www.geocities.com/mtb2k -my site
"Lenny" > wrote in message

> > however, the
> > xbox is doing great, and much better than the gamecube is doing
>
> And you got concrete numbers backing that up of course, right?
>
> Anyway, what does sales matter? Get the system with the games you like,
why
> do you care which system SELLS the most? Do you buy cars too simply
because
> one model sells more than the others?
>
> >. it is also catching up to PS2 now, because we all know that the xbox is
> more future
> > proof than the other two, and the gamecube/ps2 technology is just old
and
> > weak. people are getting tired of them now, and it is showing in
increased
> > xbox sales.
>
> Haha, you fanboys are so amusing. Catching up to PS2? When do you expect
XB
> to catch up, really? Sometime before 2006, or after? ;) Sony only has a
30+
> million unit head-start after all.
>
> When your market penetration has reached the level Sony has, naturally
sales
> will start to slow since most people who want a PS2 will already have one.
> Expect Sony to start lowering their prices more.
>
> > it will only continue upward until the xbox2 is released.
>
> No, it won't, XB sales will start to slow too, especially as the next
> generation of consoles approaches. That's only natural, except to die-hard
> fanboy nutcases that let their self-image be controlled by the market
> performance of their hardware of choice...

jeffc
November 5th 03, 09:17 PM
"Lenny" > wrote in message

> Anyway, what does sales matter? Get the system with the games you like,
why
> do you care which system SELLS the most? Do you buy cars too simply
because
> one model sells more than the others?

Simply? No, but that's a major factor. You will usually get better deals,
better service, better choice of dealers, better choice of servicers, better
resale market, better choice of accessories that fit (stereo speakers,
tires, etc.), better availability of replacement parts, etc. In addition, a
large sales volume is also a hint that the product is good.

> Haha, you fanboys are so amusing.

Your entire position seems to be nothing more than "anti-fanboy", which is
also pretty weak.

John Lewis
November 5th 03, 11:02 PM
On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 02:39:23 GMT, "zlo" > wrote:

>yeah you are right.. Xbox2 sales are pretty weak right now. however, the
>xbox is doing great, and much better than the gamecube is doing. it is also
>catching up to PS2 now, because we all know that the xbox is more future
>proof than the other two,

Nope.

Your Xbox (1) games are highly unlikely to run on Xbox2 given the
changes in the processor and video/audio chip-set in Xbox2 to totally
different architectures and manufacturers. Let's see Ati/SIS emulate
the Nvidia A/V processor. Ha, ha, ha, ha ............Halo should run
at 2 frames/second. However, M$$$ with $40billion in the bank
might offer FREE replacement of all your Xbox1 titles with Xbox2
versions when Xbox2 comes out...... yeah, right !!

John Lewis

>and the gamecube/ps2 technology is just old and
>weak. people are getting tired of them now, and it is showing in increased
>xbox sales. it will only continue upward until the xbox2 is released.

TheHasselhoff
November 6th 03, 08:01 AM
> Your Xbox (1) games are highly unlikely to run on Xbox2 given the
> changes in the processor and video/audio chip-set in Xbox2 to totally
> different architectures and manufacturers.

Since the system is no where NEAR production yet, all you're spouting is
speculation.

> Let's see Ati/SIS emulate
> the Nvidia A/V processor.

Well, fans on their own time got Nvidia processors to emulate 3dfx cards -
so it is definitely possible.

Lenny
November 6th 03, 02:29 PM
> Let's see Ati/SIS emulate
> the Nvidia A/V processor.

With video it will be a bit tricky since programmers are allowed direct
access to the hardware, but it can probably be done if the XB2 is fast
enough and emulator programmers are clever. Sound however is probably
controlled exclusively through the DX API, and thus easy to handle. We get
sound - usually anyway LOL - out of literally a hundred different sound
configs in todays' PCs after all.

One has to remember that M$ hasn't said XB2 will be compatible with the
previous version. Also, it's not really in their interest to have the two
compatible, they want people to buy XB2 software for their XB2 units. If
customers want to play old games, they should keep their old XBs and play on
those instead.

flamebot
November 7th 03, 02:18 AM
"TheHasselhoff" > wrote in message
. com...
> > And you got concrete numbers backing that up of course, right?
>
> Um... it's pretty common knowledge that Xbox is the clear winner of the #2
> console position. It has been for over 6 months. I recommend checking
out
> just about ANY console gaming website, you'll get your numbers there.
>

> > Anyway, what does sales matter? Get the system with the games you like,
> why
> > do you care which system SELLS the most?
>
> Because people don't want to buy a system that doesn't have longevity.
Why
> spend all that money on a console that won't have any new games made in
six
> months? Its why the Dreamcast was commanding a $100 price tag - right up
> until the moment Sega announced support was ending.
>

> > Do you buy cars too simply because
> > one model sells more than the others?
>
> Well, that's a really bad analogy - but, then again, I would think that
> replacement parts for a well-selling car would be cheaper than others.
> (Yes, this has nothing to do with consoles, but like I said - your analogy
> is really bad.)

Yes it is a bad analogy due to a well selling car most likely will have a
higher resell price where a game console is worth nothing the day you buy
it. As for as parts being cheaper... no.. the car manufacturers make all
their money on parts.

> > Haha, you fanboys are so amusing. Catching up to PS2? When do you expect
> XB
> > to catch up, really? Sometime before 2006, or after? ;) Sony only has a
> 30+
> > million unit head-start after all.
>
> MS won't catch up to the PS2 - but the next generation of consoles (Xbox2,
> PS3) will be a different story. While I think Sony will still have an
edge,
> MS will be much closer in that battle.

Darthy
November 7th 03, 09:01 AM
On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 02:39:23 GMT, "zlo" > wrote:

>yeah you are right.. Xbox2 sales are pretty weak right now. however, the
>xbox is doing great, and much better than the gamecube is doing. it is also
>catching up to PS2 now, because we all know that the xbox is more future
>proof than the other two, and the gamecube/ps2 technology is just old and
>weak. people are getting tired of them now, and it is showing in increased
>xbox sales. it will only continue upward until the xbox2 is released.

Smartass!! ;) okay ya got me. But no, PS2 sales are STILL much
higher than XBOX sales. Other than the bouncing tities games on the
XBOX - there isn't any "AWSOME" games on the Xbox that really makes
people drool. The Xbox cost a lot more money to make as well, so M$
takes a bigger hit per unit than SONY.

As of today, M$ has not made a profit with the XBOX.

Xbox is OLD too... its nothing compared to a modern DX9 card.

Future proof? Xbox2 is not going to be compatible with XBOX1. PS3 is
supposed to be backwards compatible with PS2 & PS1.

The only TRUE future proof system is called the PC. You can play DOOM
on todays computers without a problem.

Typo **** face.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
November 7th 03, 09:08 AM
On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 06:19:38 GMT, "TheHasselhoff" >
wrote:

>> Xbox2 sales are still weak, I would never buy one.
>
>Gee, Mr. McFly, I guess you spent all of your money on a new DeLorean or
>something?

****, my time machine is a Ferrai... Not some silver calculator
looking POS.

You posted to another person:
>> And you got concrete numbers backing that up of course, right?
>
>Um... it's pretty common knowledge that Xbox is the clear winner of the #2
>console position. It has been for over 6 months. I recommend checking out
>just about ANY console gaming website, you'll get your numbers there.

In Europe for the past month or so, GameCube sales were higher than
XBox... but it was also $100. A friend of mine is buying a GC for
his son.

#2 doesn't mean anything if its a Waaaaaaaaaay back there. XB & GC
are pretty much neck and neck, Xbox has its edge. Both are still
being dusted by PS2.

Sony is still making money of the original PSOne... go figure.

I'm surprised that SONY hasn't made the PS2 half its current size by
now, more cost cutting and more modern look.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
November 7th 03, 09:10 AM
wrote:

>> Xbox2 sales are still weak, I would never buy one.
>
>Gee, Mr. McFly, I guess you spent all of your money on a new DeLorean or
>something?

Crap... I forgot to add on my last post to you:

Xbox sales in the USA are good, Europe = weaker, Japan - almost dead.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Walter Mitty
November 13th 03, 07:01 PM
"jeffc" > brightened my day with his incisive wit
when in he conjectured that:

> "Lenny" > wrote in message
>>
>> Anyway, what does sales matter? Get the system with the games you
>> like,
> why
>> do you care which system SELLS the most? Do you buy cars too simply
> because
>> one model sells more than the others?
>
> Simply? No, but that's a major factor. You will usually get better
> deals, better service, better choice of dealers, better choice of
> servicers, better resale market, better choice of accessories that fit
> (stereo speakers, tires, etc.), better availability of replacement
> parts, etc. In addition, a large sales volume is also a hint that the
> product is good.

And so what? The Xbox is #2 selling. This means that the PS2 install base
is increasing over that of the XBOX.

jeffc
November 13th 03, 11:40 PM
"Walter Mitty" > wrote in message
> > "Lenny" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> Anyway, what does sales matter? Get the system with the games you
> >> like,
> > why
> >> do you care which system SELLS the most? Do you buy cars too simply
> > because
> >> one model sells more than the others?
> >
> > Simply? No, but that's a major factor. You will usually get better
> > deals, better service, better choice of dealers, better choice of
> > servicers, better resale market, better choice of accessories that fit
> > (stereo speakers, tires, etc.), better availability of replacement
> > parts, etc. In addition, a large sales volume is also a hint that the
> > product is good.
>
> And so what?

So.... some people care which system sells the most, and often with good
reason.

ntl: Victim
November 14th 03, 12:30 AM
I must be the only one wondering but when exactly did the damn XBOX2 come
out, unless it's a typo

Answer not yet!!! So how the hell can sales be other than nonexistent .....
dumb ass

"Darthy" > wrote in message
> Simply proves that going into the bedroom with M$ means getting it the
> ass... the only true unknown, is if KY Jelly is used or not.
>
> Perhaps... Nvidia refused to work on the XBox2?
>
> Xbox2 sales are still weak, I would never buy one. Unlike SONY and
> Nintendo - M$ hasn't made a dime on the XBOX.
>

> On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 00:38:04 GMT, "i'm_tired"
> > wrote:
>
> >http://news.com.com/2100-1043-5102081.html
> >
> >an exerpt
> >
> >[...]" "We're integrating SIS' cutting-edge, media I/O technologies into
> >future products to create innovative Xbox products and services that
serve
> >the digital entertainment lifestyle." Todd Holmdahl, general manager of
Xbox
> >hardware, said in a statement.
> >
> >Changing partners comes with advantages and risks, said Kevin Krewell,
> >senior editor of The Microprocessor Report. On one hand, Microsoft will
get
> >access to a broad new portfolio of intellectual property it can use to
> >fashion customized chips for its console.
> >
> >Switching partners can also clear away some of the bad feelings that
arose
> >in regard to the first Xbox. For Intel, supplying 733-MHz Pentium IIIs to
> >Microsoft had become a low-margin business, Krewell said. Nvidia and
> >Microsoft, meanwhile, went to arbitration over their contract. At the
time,
> >Nvidia was afraid that it would get stuck with unusable chips or have to
> >sell parts at a loss. " [...]
> >

> --
> Remember when real men used Real computers!?
> When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
>
> Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
November 14th 03, 09:22 AM
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:30:25 -0000, "ntl: Victim"
> wrote:

>I must be the only one wondering but when exactly did the damn XBOX2 come
>out, unless it's a typo

Its a typo, partially caused by this topic is about the XBOX2.

>Answer not yet!!! So how the hell can sales be other than nonexistent .....
>dumb ass

Its a typo **** face. There are no sales, anyone with more brains
than a bush would have figured it out.

>"Darthy" > wrote in message
>> Simply proves that going into the bedroom with M$ means getting it the
>> ass... the only true unknown, is if KY Jelly is used or not.
>>
>> Perhaps... Nvidia refused to work on the XBox2?
>>
>> Xbox2 sales are still weak, I would never buy one. Unlike SONY and
>> Nintendo - M$ hasn't made a dime on the XBOX.

Darthy
November 14th 03, 09:22 AM
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:01:54 +0100, Walter Mitty >
wrote:

>"jeffc" > brightened my day with his incisive wit
>when in he conjectured that:
>

>> "Lenny" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Anyway, what does sales matter? Get the system with the games you
>>> like,
>> why
>>> do you care which system SELLS the most? Do you buy cars too simply
>> because
>>> one model sells more than the others?
>>
>> Simply? No, but that's a major factor. You will usually get better
>> deals, better service, better choice of dealers, better choice of
>> servicers, better resale market, better choice of accessories that fit
>> (stereo speakers, tires, etc.), better availability of replacement
>> parts, etc. In addition, a large sales volume is also a hint that the
>> product is good.
>>

>And so what? The Xbox is #2 selling. This means that the PS2 install base
>is increasing over that of the XBOX.

As of today, world wide sales of the BIG 3....

Saying XBOX is Kickins Nintendo's ass is stupid, since the difference
between the two is hard to guage - but its less than a million units.

SONY has more units than both XBOX and Game Cube put together.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Walter Mitty
November 14th 03, 02:46 PM
"jeffc" > brightened my day with his incisive wit when
in he conjectured that:

>> > why
>> > because
>> >
>> > Simply? No, but that's a major factor. You will usually get better
>> > deals, better service, better choice of dealers, better choice of
>> > servicers, better resale market, better choice of accessories that
fit
>> > (stereo speakers, tires, etc.), better availability of replacement
>> > parts, etc. In addition, a large sales volume is also a hint that
the
>> > product is good.
>>
>> And so what?
>
> So.... some people care which system sells the most, and often with
good
> reason.

I think we must be getting mixed up here. I'm just saying that despite
increasing xbox sales, the PS2 is still *selling* more and thus its user
base is increasing over that of the xbox.