PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia FX5600 - Reboot Problems on XP Home

Doccy
November 2nd 03, 10:32 PM
I recently upgraded from a Gforce 4 MX to a the FX5600. It is a Leadtek A310
TD. I also upgraded from a P4 1.7 CPU to 2.6 (800FSB) with mainboard and
Kingston 512MB (400Mhz) DDR RAM.

My problem is since installing the Winfast drivers (and even after
downloading the updated drivers from Nvidia) my system reboots at will. The
guy who installed it all - I don't think uninstalled the original card
first. Since those first problems, I completely reinstalled XP from the
ground-up, but I'm still having the exact same problems.

Would the detonator drivers still be present and require removal somehow, or
is there another fix for this problem?. Or is this a completely different
cause (bearing in mind it only started when I installed the drivers)?

Any help will be appreciated!
Many thanks,
Doccy

phobos
November 3rd 03, 10:07 AM
Doccy wrote:
> I recently upgraded from a Gforce 4 MX to a the FX5600. It is a Leadtek A310
> TD. I also upgraded from a P4 1.7 CPU to 2.6 (800FSB) with mainboard and
> Kingston 512MB (400Mhz) DDR RAM.
>
> My problem is since installing the Winfast drivers (and even after
> downloading the updated drivers from Nvidia) my system reboots at will. The
> guy who installed it all - I don't think uninstalled the original card
> first. Since those first problems, I completely reinstalled XP from the
> ground-up, but I'm still having the exact same problems.
>
> Would the detonator drivers still be present and require removal somehow, or
> is there another fix for this problem?. Or is this a completely different
> cause (bearing in mind it only started when I installed the drivers)?
>
> Any help will be appreciated!
> Many thanks,
> Doccy

You likely have your system set to automatically reboot instead of
blue-screen when it encounters a hardware error. To change this:

Right-Click My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Startup
and Recovery

and uncheck "Automatically Restart".

Now you can see what device driver is causing the problem and where it
occurs. Take note of the Stop Code and device name (something.dll).

There are some outstanding chipset issues with the newest drivers and
some particular P4 mobo configurations.

Doccy
November 3rd 03, 12:13 PM
I prefer not doing that. Thanks, but last time, all that came up before
reinstalling XP was "BAD_POOL_CALLER".
I don't really want to go through having to wait through tens of blue
screens - waiting for the memory dump.There has to be a better way.

Any ideas on the original blue screen message?
Cheers.