PDA

View Full Version : Riva TNT drivers

Andrey Tarasevich
November 2nd 03, 06:26 AM
Hello

Driver download area on nVidia's Web site has drivers for 'GeForce and
TNT2' cards and for 'RIVA 128' cards. What about Riva TNT cards? Are
they no longer supported? Where's the logic in dropping driver support
for TNT while still supporting the ancient Riva 128?

--
Best regards,
Andrey Tarasevich

J.Clarke
November 2nd 03, 09:38 AM
On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 21:26:36 -0800
Andrey Tarasevich > wrote:

> Hello
>
> Driver download area on nVidia's Web site has drivers for 'GeForce and
> TNT2' cards and for 'RIVA 128' cards. What about Riva TNT cards? Are
> they no longer supported? Where's the logic in dropping driver support
> for TNT while still supporting the ancient Riva 128?

If you investigate you will find that the most recent drivers reached
via the Riva 128 path are the ones for Windows 98 and the files dated
March, 1999.

> --
> Best regards,
> Andrey Tarasevich

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Alan
November 2nd 03, 02:51 PM
riva tnt cards are included in the geforce and tnt2 card drivers

"Andrey Tarasevich" > wrote in message
> Hello
>
> Driver download area on nVidia's Web site has drivers for 'GeForce and
> TNT2' cards and for 'RIVA 128' cards. What about Riva TNT cards? Are
> they no longer supported? Where's the logic in dropping driver support
> for TNT while still supporting the ancient Riva 128?
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Andrey Tarasevich

Andrey Tarasevich
November 2nd 03, 07:11 PM
J.Clarke wrote:

>> Driver download area on nVidia's Web site has drivers for 'GeForce and
>> TNT2' cards and for 'RIVA 128' cards. What about Riva TNT cards? Are
>> they no longer supported? Where's the logic in dropping driver support
>> for TNT while still supporting the ancient Riva 128?
>
> If you investigate you will find that the most recent drivers reached
> via the Riva 128 path are the ones for Windows 98 and the files dated
> March, 1999.

Great. Now why don't they provide teh same type of link for TNT drivers,
no matter how old?

--
Best regards,
Andrey Tarasevich

Andrey Tarasevich
November 2nd 03, 07:15 PM
> riva tnt cards are included in the geforce and tnt2 card drivers

Interesting. They went as far as providing an extensive list of
supported hardware. But there isn't a single TNT card mentioned in the list.

Anyway, thanks for your reply. I'll try using 'GeForce and TNT2' drivers.

> "Andrey Tarasevich" > wrote in message
>>
>> Driver download area on nVidia's Web site has drivers for 'GeForce and
>> TNT2' cards and for 'RIVA 128' cards. What about Riva TNT cards? Are
>> they no longer supported? Where's the logic in dropping driver support
>> for TNT while still supporting the ancient Riva 128?

--
Best regards,
Andrey Tarasevich

default
November 2nd 03, 09:38 PM
The WHQL versions of the drivers don't have the TNT1 cards in the .inf file.
You can easily add the missing bits to support these cards and then install
the driver. The 52.16 driver works great on the TNT cards that I have here,
both PCI and AGP versions. The non WHQL drivers all had TNT support as do
most of the beta and oem versions you see referenced here. Still it is easy
to fix for any of the drivers. nVidia has said that their unified
architecture means that new drivers work with old cards and vice versa. It
is just a matter of whether the appropriate entries are in the inf file. If
they are missing, just add them back in.

You can also use the quadro certified drivers which usually have TNT
support.

"Andrey Tarasevich" > wrote in message
> Hello
>
> Driver download area on nVidia's Web site has drivers for 'GeForce and
> TNT2' cards and for 'RIVA 128' cards. What about Riva TNT cards? Are
> they no longer supported? Where's the logic in dropping driver support
> for TNT while still supporting the ancient Riva 128?
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Andrey Tarasevich

Falkentyne
November 4th 03, 05:32 AM
On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 20:38:40 GMT, "default" >
enlightened us by scribbling this gem of wisdom:

>The WHQL versions of the drivers don't have the TNT1 cards in the .inf file.
>You can easily add the missing bits to support these cards and then install
>the driver. The 52.16 driver works great on the TNT cards that I have here,
>both PCI and AGP versions. The non WHQL drivers all had TNT support as do
>most of the beta and oem versions you see referenced here. Still it is easy
>to fix for any of the drivers. nVidia has said that their unified
>architecture means that new drivers work with old cards and vice versa. It
>is just a matter of whether the appropriate entries are in the inf file. If
>they are missing, just add them back in.
>
>You can also use the quadro certified drivers which usually have TNT
>support.

But doing that causes you to deal with all the broken games, usually
older ones. (many people have said that UT is corrupted in the
52.16).

When you're card doesn't support T&L, and you're playing older non T&L
games, why not use a known good driver, such as the 21 series drivers,
or the 30.82's, etc ?

of course it may be hard to find an older driver set these days.
I used to have -every- driver released from 5.13 to the 43's on my HD,
until my D: drive failed and I didn't bother to copy the drivers away
when I could (not like I had a use for them...)

<Gibs> When you kill 6 people in Unreal Tournament
it is "MonsterKill", In Quake3 it is "Excellent",
in Counter-Strike it is "Kicked by console"

default
November 4th 03, 07:21 AM
"Falkentyne" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 20:38:40 GMT, "default" >
> enlightened us by scribbling this gem of wisdom:
>
> >The WHQL versions of the drivers don't have the TNT1 cards in the .inf
file.
> >You can easily add the missing bits to support these cards and then
install
> >the driver. The 52.16 driver works great on the TNT cards that I have
here,
> >both PCI and AGP versions. The non WHQL drivers all had TNT support as
do
> >most of the beta and oem versions you see referenced here. Still it is
easy
> >to fix for any of the drivers. nVidia has said that their unified
> >architecture means that new drivers work with old cards and vice versa.
It
> >is just a matter of whether the appropriate entries are in the inf file.
If
> >they are missing, just add them back in.
> >
> >You can also use the quadro certified drivers which usually have TNT
> >support.
>
> But doing that causes you to deal with all the broken games, usually
> older ones. (many people have said that UT is corrupted in the
> 52.16).
>
> When you're card doesn't support T&L, and you're playing older non T&L
> games, why not use a known good driver, such as the 21 series drivers,
> or the 30.82's, etc ?
>
> of course it may be hard to find an older driver set these days.
> I used to have -every- driver released from 5.13 to the 43's on my HD,
> until my D: drive failed and I didn't bother to copy the drivers away
> when I could (not like I had a use for them...)

So far it hasn't been a problem. I still have all the detonator drivers for
the card going all the way back to driver 0.36 and 0.48 and then the first
detonator 1.09 etc. I bought the TNT cards (diamond viper v550 16mb pci and
agp) when they first came out. I have upgraded the nVidia drivers as they
came out along the way. With the 52.16 drivers, it still seems to work well
and many new features have been added to the drivers that make the card
nicer to use. Nothing appears to have been lost and the better D3D and
openGL support have allowed the card to continue to be able to run recent
software even if it is too slow to be able to really use on current games,
at least it works. Also for CAD applications, the performance of these old
cards has still improved as the openGL support has improved.

I bought the TNT cards in late 1998. How many other 5 year old graphic
cards are still getting driver updates? I have no complaints with regard to
the TNT1 cards.

Patrick Vervoorn
November 10th 03, 05:02 PM
In article <[email protected]>,
default > wrote:
>The WHQL versions of the drivers don't have the TNT1 cards in the .inf file.
>You can easily add the missing bits to support these cards and then install
>the driver. The 52.16 driver works great on the TNT cards that I have here,
>both PCI and AGP versions. The non WHQL drivers all had TNT support as do
>most of the beta and oem versions you see referenced here. Still it is easy
>to fix for any of the drivers. nVidia has said that their unified
>architecture means that new drivers work with old cards and vice versa. It
>is just a matter of whether the appropriate entries are in the inf file. If
>they are missing, just add them back in.
>
>You can also use the quadro certified drivers which usually have TNT
>support.

I also have an old Riva TNT card (Viper 550 ;), for which I would like
to install more up-to-date drivers than what WinXP has out of the box.

How do I add the info you mention here to the 52.16 (or other versions)
drivers of the NVIDIA drivers?

Best regards, Patrick.

default
November 14th 03, 03:22 AM
Very simple. Only two lines are missing from the .inf file.

Start the driver installer for 52.16, let it install as far as the license
agreement. Say no to the licence agreement and cancel before the driver
install starts. The drivers will be unpacked to C:\NVIDIA\Win2KXP\52.16

Now edit nv4_disp.inf. If you use notepad, then turn off word wrap in the
format pulldown. Scroll down to the section:

[NVIDIA.Mfg]

and add the following line:

%NVIDIA_NV04.DEV_0020.1% = nv4_TNTxClass, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0020

Ideally insert it just above the one for dev_0028 card.
This adds the support for the NV4 cards (TNT1) like viper v550.

Now scroll down the the section labeled:

[Strings]

and a bit further to
; Localizable Strings

insert the line:
NVIDIA_NV04.DEV_0020.1 = "NVIDIA RIVA TNT"

put it between the Aladdin and TNT2 cards.

This sets the string for the driver name in device manager.

Now save the file and run setup.exe from the 52.16 folder. Now it should
recognize your TNT card without trouble.

Works great here on both PCI and AGP Viper V550 16mb cards.

Good luck.

"Patrick Vervoorn" > wrote in message
> I also have an old Riva TNT card (Viper 550 ;), for which I would like
> to install more up-to-date drivers than what WinXP has out of the box.
>
> How do I add the info you mention here to the 52.16 (or other versions)
> drivers of the NVIDIA drivers?
>
> Best regards, Patrick.

Bx. C
January 18th 04, 07:43 PM
"default" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Falkentyne" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 20:38:40 GMT, "default" >
> > enlightened us by scribbling this gem of wisdom:
> >
> > >The WHQL versions of the drivers don't have the TNT1 cards in the .inf
> file.
> > >You can easily add the missing bits to support these cards and then
> install
> > >the driver. The 52.16 driver works great on the TNT cards that I have
> here,
> > >both PCI and AGP versions. The non WHQL drivers all had TNT support as
> do
> > >most of the beta and oem versions you see referenced here. Still it is
> easy
> > >to fix for any of the drivers. nVidia has said that their unified
> > >architecture means that new drivers work with old cards and vice versa.
> It
> > >is just a matter of whether the appropriate entries are in the inf
file.
> If
> > >they are missing, just add them back in.
> > >
> > >You can also use the quadro certified drivers which usually have TNT
> > >support.
> >
> > But doing that causes you to deal with all the broken games, usually
> > older ones. (many people have said that UT is corrupted in the
> > 52.16).
> >
> > When you're card doesn't support T&L, and you're playing older non T&L
> > games, why not use a known good driver, such as the 21 series drivers,
> > or the 30.82's, etc ?
> >
> > of course it may be hard to find an older driver set these days.
> > I used to have -every- driver released from 5.13 to the 43's on my HD,
> > until my D: drive failed and I didn't bother to copy the drivers away
> > when I could (not like I had a use for them...)
> >

> So far it hasn't been a problem. I still have all the detonator drivers
for
> the card going all the way back to driver 0.36 and 0.48 and then the first
> detonator 1.09 etc. I bought the TNT cards (diamond viper v550 16mb pci
and
> agp) when they first came out. I have upgraded the nVidia drivers as they
> came out along the way. With the 52.16 drivers, it still seems to work
well
> and many new features have been added to the drivers that make the card
> nicer to use. Nothing appears to have been lost and the better D3D and
> openGL support have allowed the card to continue to be able to run recent
> software even if it is too slow to be able to really use on current games,
> at least it works. Also for CAD applications, the performance of these
old
> cards has still improved as the openGL support has improved.
>
> I bought the TNT cards in late 1998. How many other 5 year old graphic
> cards are still getting driver updates? I have no complaints with regard
> the TNT1 cards.

that's the exact card that i have... diamond viper v550 16 mb agp...

and you mentioned in another post that the "missing bits can be added in"
into the inf file...

how would i go about doing that??