PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Card -- Geforce 3 Ti 200 -- Fan stopped working.

Midnight
November 1st 03, 09:31 PM
Hi,
The other day I started my windows session to find that the display
options had lowered to 640x480 res, 16 colours (not 16-bit).

I have an Inno3d Graphics Card (Geforce 3 Ti 200) which is ten months
old and has been working fine until recently.

The display settings refused to be changed. This suggested a graphics
card problem.

Upon closer inspection of the graphics card, I found that the cooling
fan wasn't starting with the PC as it always had in the past. The fan
seems to have seized-up though there is nothing obstructing it from
moving. I tried moving it with my finger and it is extremely stiff.

I don't know if the broken fan has already caused damage to the
graphics card (nothing visible) but I know that without a fan I
shouldn't risk using it again.

I was wondering if the display problems are the result of the fan
simply not working (overheating in the time it takes to load Windows
preventing higher screen resolutions etc.) or a result of the graphics
card being damaged already as a result of overheating?

The fan is a A-Pack DC 12V.

Has anybody else experienced problems with the same graphics card?

I have sent an e-mail to Inno3D and they have offered to send me a
replacement fan that I could fit.

I'm awaiting a reply from dabs to see what they can offer me. Seeing
as the card is under a year old maybe I can get the whole thing
replaced.

Please share your views.
Please reply only to the Newsgroup because the e-mail address I'm
using is outdated.

Andrew
November 1st 03, 09:34 PM
On 1 Nov 2003 12:31:50 -0800, (Midnight)
wrote:

>I have sent an e-mail to Inno3D and they have offered to send me a
>replacement fan that I could fit.
>
>I'm awaiting a reply from dabs to see what they can offer me. Seeing
>as the card is under a year old maybe I can get the whole thing
>replaced.

From reading the Dabs help pages the other day, I am pretty sure they
will tell you to liase with Inno3D.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.

phobos
November 1st 03, 09:57 PM
Midnight wrote:

> Hi,
> The other day I started my windows session to find that the display
> options had lowered to 640x480 res, 16 colours (not 16-bit).
>
> I have an Inno3d Graphics Card (Geforce 3 Ti 200) which is ten months
> old and has been working fine until recently.
>
> The display settings refused to be changed. This suggested a graphics
> card problem.
>
> Upon closer inspection of the graphics card, I found that the cooling
> fan wasn't starting with the PC as it always had in the past. The fan
> seems to have seized-up though there is nothing obstructing it from
> moving. I tried moving it with my finger and it is extremely stiff.
>
> I don't know if the broken fan has already caused damage to the
> graphics card (nothing visible) but I know that without a fan I
> shouldn't risk using it again.
>
> I was wondering if the display problems are the result of the fan
> simply not working (overheating in the time it takes to load Windows
> preventing higher screen resolutions etc.) or a result of the graphics
> card being damaged already as a result of overheating?
>
> The fan is a A-Pack DC 12V.
>
> Has anybody else experienced problems with the same graphics card?
>
> I have sent an e-mail to Inno3D and they have offered to send me a
> replacement fan that I could fit.
>
> I'm awaiting a reply from dabs to see what they can offer me. Seeing
> as the card is under a year old maybe I can get the whole thing
> replaced.
>
> Please share your views.
> Please reply only to the Newsgroup because the e-mail address I'm
> using is outdated.

First check the fan -- is there a sticker on top you can pull back?

Yes? - Good! Probably a ball bearing fan. Get some 10-in-1 oil from
the hardware store and just put a couple drops in, spin the fan for a
minute and roll the sticker back. Should work good as new with a
refresher every 6 months or so.

No? - Bad... likely a sleeved fan or brushed. Not much you can do.
Keep it for parts as you may be able to salvage the power lead and use
it for another fan without resorting to using a Molex connector.

For replacemnt fans, find a small 486 or slimline Pentium 1 fan you can
just screw into the existing heatsink. Splice the two wire into the old
lead if it only has a molex connector or pigtail adapter (using a
crimping tool and small gauge crimping sleeves).

Failing that, get a new HSF unit. Thermaltake sells a blue orb video
cooler. So do a lot of other companies. Just pry off the old HSF
gently with the flat of a knife after it's warmed up slightly (don't pry
or it'll bust).

Clean the surface first, then use thermal paste (not compound) and bond
it on. If you're lucky you can use zip ties and go though any available
heatsink clip holes or just re-use the old tabs and punch them in the
same holes.

Midnight
November 2nd 03, 01:23 PM
> Yes? - Good! Probably a ball bearing fan. Get some 10-in-1 oil from
> the hardware store and just put a couple drops in, spin the fan for a
> minute and roll the sticker back. Should work good as new with a
> refresher every 6 months or so.

Thanks for the advice Phobos. The oil worked a treat. Just a little
DIY, that's all was needed.

So the fan is now working great, the only problem now is not being
able to change the screen resoulution. I'll try reintalling the
graphics card drivers. That should do it.

Will let you know how I get along.

Aki Peltola
November 2nd 03, 02:47 PM
"Midnight" > wrote
> I don't know if the broken fan has already caused damage to the
> graphics card (nothing visible) but I know that without a fan I
> shouldn't risk using it again.

Even if the card has fan originally installed, it doesn't
mean it really requires it.

My GF3 Ti200 works just fine without the fan which I
disabled myself quite a WHILE ago because of the
disturbing noise it made. Was even able to overclock
from 175/400 to 185/450 - without fan. So I really
don't think your card is damaged because of overheating,
at least if you haven't overclocked it. I don't even have a
chassis fan so don't come tell me I have such a well
ventilated PC ;-)

What if you try to re-install the drivers, sometimes they
can get magically screwed up by Windows... As I see
nobody has considered simply that causing the problem.