PDA

View Full Version : nvcpl / nvdaemon necessary ?

IDAssociates Inc.
November 1st 03, 03:49 PM
Reposting a prior question for some new responses. NVCPL is loaded at every
new boot despite it being removed from the RUN section of the registry. In
prior versions like 45.23 it could be permanently removed. Does anyone have
any idea how to remove it or where it is loading from ?

phobos
November 1st 03, 09:38 PM
IDAssociates Inc. wrote:

> Reposting a prior question for some new responses. NVCPL is loaded at every
> new boot despite it being removed from the RUN section of the registry. In
> prior versions like 45.23 it could be permanently removed. Does anyone have
> any idea how to remove it or where it is loading from ?

NVCPL is the display properties control panel and also loads the systray
icon (NView and settings).

The daemon is related to the driver helper service from what I can tell,
but I wouldn't disable it if you're overclocking or using any settings
that take effect on startup - I think those go through that now to
prevent crashes, etc.

And then there's also a "bootstrap" of sorts in there to communicate
with the mobo chipset driver for stuff like AGP rate and junk. I think
that's where a lot of tweaking goes on nowadays and is probably where
and how the infinite loops and bsod's were fixed.

Dark Avenger
November 2nd 03, 12:10 AM
"IDAssociates Inc." > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Reposting a prior question for some new responses. NVCPL is loaded at every
> new boot despite it being removed from the RUN section of the registry. In
> prior versions like 45.23 it could be permanently removed. Does anyone have
> any idea how to remove it or where it is loading from ?

CPL is the Configuration Screen Applet, so it's rather usefull it's
loaded ( else you have no controlls )

nvdaemon can be switched of though, but has to be done in the settings
of the driver.

IDAssociates Inc.
November 2nd 03, 12:28 AM
Novice here - When you refer to settings of the driver I am presuming
this is not from the display driver control panel ?

Seems there is no option but to have this added to the startup no matter
what we do for this new driver.

"Dark Avenger" > wrote in message
om...
> "IDAssociates Inc." > wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Reposting a prior question for some new responses. NVCPL is loaded at
every
> > new boot despite it being removed from the RUN section of the registry.
In
> > prior versions like 45.23 it could be permanently removed. Does anyone
have
> > any idea how to remove it or where it is loading from ?
>
> CPL is the Configuration Screen Applet, so it's rather usefull it's
> loaded ( else you have no controlls )
>
> nvdaemon can be switched of though, but has to be done in the settings
> of the driver.

Dark Avenger
November 2nd 03, 04:08 AM
"IDAssociates Inc." > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Novice here - When you refer to settings of the driver I am presuming
> this is not from the display driver control panel ?
>
> Seems there is no option but to have this added to the startup no matter
> what we do for this new driver.
>

> "Dark Avenger" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "IDAssociates Inc." > wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Reposting a prior question for some new responses. NVCPL is loaded at
> every
> > > new boot despite it being removed from the RUN section of the registry.
> In
> > > prior versions like 45.23 it could be permanently removed. Does anyone
> have
> > > any idea how to remove it or where it is loading from ?
> >
> > CPL is the Configuration Screen Applet, so it's rather usefull it's
> > loaded ( else you have no controlls )
> >
> > nvdaemon can be switched of though, but has to be done in the settings
> > of the driver.

The new drivers tend to be different..indeed...they load more things
but..definitly have more functions. To bad they consume more memory
but I guess that's the price of progress.

The CPL is coupled with the icon you see in your Configuration Screen,
it opens the Driver Settings. Actually all those icons there are CPL
files in your c:\windows\system32\ or c:\windows\ map.

Quite simple in that, nvdeamon probably is linked to a number of
functions and shutting it off causes some functions that are normally
on to be not loaded. Very probably you can't shut it down..for such
reasons.

If you have a really old card, like an GF 256 or an GF 2 MX then you
might use 30.82 :-)

IDAssociates Inc.
November 2nd 03, 04:14 AM
Appreciate the explanation.

I am running a classic GF3 and largely almost always in 2D. No 3D games but
I do use CAD and opengl seems to be OK. The 52.16 driver is seemingly
faster overall. I havent had any stability issues with any driver.

I am running the system with NVDAEMON deleted out of the registry as is
NVCPL without any issues. I typically use standby so it is infrequent that
I haev to delete the driver anyway from the registry. Perhpas I should go
from 512 PC2100 up to 1024 ?

"Dark Avenger" > wrote in message
om...
> "IDAssociates Inc." > wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Novice here - When you refer to settings of the driver I am presuming
> > this is not from the display driver control panel ?
> >
> > Seems there is no option but to have this added to the startup no matter
> > what we do for this new driver.
> >

> > "Dark Avenger" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > "IDAssociates Inc." > wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > every
> > In
> > have
> > >
> > > CPL is the Configuration Screen Applet, so it's rather usefull it's
> > > loaded ( else you have no controlls )
> > >
> > > nvdaemon can be switched of though, but has to be done in the settings
> > > of the driver.
>
> The new drivers tend to be different..indeed...they load more things
> but..definitly have more functions. To bad they consume more memory
> but I guess that's the price of progress.
>
> The CPL is coupled with the icon you see in your Configuration Screen,
> it opens the Driver Settings. Actually all those icons there are CPL
> files in your c:\windows\system32\ or c:\windows\ map.
>
> Quite simple in that, nvdeamon probably is linked to a number of
> functions and shutting it off causes some functions that are normally
> on to be not loaded. Very probably you can't shut it down..for such
> reasons.
>
> If you have a really old card, like an GF 256 or an GF 2 MX then you
> might use 30.82 :-)

Dark Avenger
November 2nd 03, 12:15 PM
"IDAssociates Inc." > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Appreciate the explanation.
>
> I am running a classic GF3 and largely almost always in 2D. No 3D games but
> I do use CAD and opengl seems to be OK. The 52.16 driver is seemingly
> faster overall. I havent had any stability issues with any driver.
>
> I am running the system with NVDAEMON deleted out of the registry as is
> NVCPL without any issues. I typically use standby so it is infrequent that
> I haev to delete the driver anyway from the registry. Perhpas I should go
> from 512 PC2100 up to 1024 ?
>

> "Dark Avenger" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "IDAssociates Inc." > wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Novice here - When you refer to settings of the driver I am presuming
> > > this is not from the display driver control panel ?
> > >
> > > Seems there is no option but to have this added to the startup no matter
> > > what we do for this new driver.
> > >

> > > "Dark Avenger" > wrote in message
> > > om...
> news:<[email protected]>...
> at
> every
> registry.
> In
> anyone
> have

> > The new drivers tend to be different..indeed...they load more things
> > but..definitly have more functions. To bad they consume more memory
> > but I guess that's the price of progress.
> >
> > The CPL is coupled with the icon you see in your Configuration Screen,
> > it opens the Driver Settings. Actually all those icons there are CPL
> > files in your c:\windows\system32\ or c:\windows\ map.
> >
> > Quite simple in that, nvdeamon probably is linked to a number of
> > functions and shutting it off causes some functions that are normally
> > on to be not loaded. Very probably you can't shut it down..for such
> > reasons.
> >
> > If you have a really old card, like an GF 256 or an GF 2 MX then you
> > might use 30.82 :-)

2d ...mmm... you might wish to use the SoftQuadro Mod, I don't know
what kind of work you do on your pc but if it's CAD/CAM then the
Quadro mod will speed up your card in 2d mode.

:-), for that you can use RivaTuner ..easily found with www.google.com