PDA

View Full Version : i dont know much

Looking_For _Corpses
October 31st 03, 09:21 PM
I have a nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 MODEL 64
graphics card. But all my games run on that
'software rendering' thing. There's no other
option and there should be one right? I installed
all the drivers. So like i said i dont know much,
but any help would be kewl!

thanx

Allan Dwyer
October 31st 03, 11:56 PM
Are you running games in a Window. You may need to be in full screen mode
for hardware acceleration. Try Alt/Enter to go into full screen mode and see
if that helps. Also, check your games to see if they are selecting the
NVidia TNT card or if you have software rendering selected.

If you listed some of your games, others could confirm the settings.

Good Luck

"Looking_For _Corpses" > wrote in message
> I have a nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 MODEL 64
> graphics card. But all my games run on that
> 'software rendering' thing. There's no other
> option and there should be one right? I installed
> all the drivers. So like i said i dont know much,
> but any help would be kewl!
>
> thanx

Looking_For _Corpses
November 1st 03, 01:15 AM
I play in full screen mode, but it still uses my
software thing instead if the hardware one.
Im playing Max Payne 1 and 2 mostly, and
Im trying to get Tony Hawks 4 to work...

"Allan Dwyer" > wrote in message
> Are you running games in a Window. You may need to be in full screen mode
> for hardware acceleration. Try Alt/Enter to go into full screen mode and
see
> if that helps. Also, check your games to see if they are selecting the
> NVidia TNT card or if you have software rendering selected.
>
> If you listed some of your games, others could confirm the settings.
>
> Good Luck
>
> "Looking_For _Corpses" > wrote in message
> > I have a nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 MODEL 64
> > graphics card. But all my games run on that
> > 'software rendering' thing. There's no other
> > option and there should be one right? I installed
> > all the drivers. So like i said i dont know much,
> > but any help would be kewl!
> >
> > thanx

Shepİ
November 1st 03, 01:52 AM
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 22:21:35 +0200, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Looking_For _Corpses"
> wrote :

>I have a nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 MODEL 64
>graphics card. But all my games run on that
>'software rendering' thing. There's no other
>option and there should be one right? I installed
>all the drivers. So like i said i dont know much,
>but any help would be kewl!
>
>thanx

Try some better drivers,
http://download.guru3d.com/detonator/
and also look for updated mother board AGP drivers.
Post full hardware spec and operating system used.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

phobos
November 1st 03, 02:09 AM
Looking_For _Corpses wrote:

> I have a nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 MODEL 64
> graphics card. But all my games run on that
> 'software rendering' thing. There's no other
> option and there should be one right? I installed
> all the drivers. So like i said i dont know much,
> but any help would be kewl!
>
> thanx

In short, you need to run your games under what's called an "accelerated
API". Like Direct 3D or OpenGL.

If you see a game that runs under "DirectX 8" or "DX9", then it runs
under accelerated Direct3D.

Download an install the latest reference drivers from NVIDIA
(www.nvidia.com), go through the card selector and download the drivers
appropriate for your TNT2.

Even though your card is old and limited, you can still run under what's
called "Direct3D HAL" mode and OpenGL should just run without a problem.

Games like Unreal Tournament and such often give you the choice of
selecting D3d or OpenGL at startup, or configuring it through the menus.
If you have a problem with a specific game, please post back to the group.

Looking_For _Corpses
November 1st 03, 07:04 AM
"Shepİ" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 22:21:35 +0200, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Looking_For _Corpses"
> > wrote :
>
> >I have a nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 MODEL 64
> >graphics card. But all my games run on that
> >'software rendering' thing. There's no other
> >option and there should be one right? I installed
> >all the drivers. So like i said i dont know much,
> >but any help would be kewl!
> >
> >thanx
>
> Try some better drivers,
> http://download.guru3d.com/detonator/
> and also look for updated mother board AGP drivers.
> Post full hardware spec and operating system used.
>

> --
> Free Windows/PC help,
> email shepATpartyheld.de
> Free songs download,
> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

Ok, there's a whole lot of versions! : / I'm running Windows XP

Shawk
November 1st 03, 11:55 AM
"phobos" > wrote in message
> Looking_For _Corpses wrote:
>
> > I have a nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 MODEL 64
> > graphics card. But all my games run on that
> > 'software rendering' thing. There's no other
> > option and there should be one right? I installed
> > all the drivers. So like i said i dont know much,
> > but any help would be kewl!
> >
> > thanx
> >

> In short, you need to run your games under what's called an "accelerated
> API". Like Direct 3D or OpenGL.
>
> If you see a game that runs under "DirectX 8" or "DX9", then it runs
> under accelerated Direct3D.
>
> Download an install the latest reference drivers from NVIDIA
> (www.nvidia.com), go through the card selector and download the drivers
> appropriate for your TNT2.
>
> Even though your card is old and limited, you can still run under what's
> called "Direct3D HAL" mode and OpenGL should just run without a problem.
>
> Games like Unreal Tournament and such often give you the choice of
> selecting D3d or OpenGL at startup, or configuring it through the menus.
> If you have a problem with a specific game, please post back to the
group.

Also go to 'start' 'run' and type dxdiag and tell us what the results of the
tests are.

Shepİ
November 1st 03, 02:51 PM
On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 08:04:32 +0200, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Looking_For _Corpses"
> wrote :

>"Shepİ" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 22:21:35 +0200, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
>> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Looking_For _Corpses"
>> > wrote :
>>
>> >I have a nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 MODEL 64
>> >graphics card. But all my games run on that
>> >'software rendering' thing. There's no other
>> >option and there should be one right? I installed
>> >all the drivers. So like i said i dont know much,
>> >but any help would be kewl!
>> >
>> >thanx
>>
>> Try some better drivers,
>> http://download.guru3d.com/detonator/
>> and also look for updated mother board AGP drivers.
>> Post full hardware spec and operating system used.

>> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm
>
>Ok, there's a whole lot of versions! : / I'm running Windows XP

I've found the 44.03 to be very stable in win98 and XP.
Also whilst there get Rivatuner and use that to go through all the
settings as it has a hidden registry checker that can fix problems.
It may be best also whilst there to get a,"Detonator" cleaner and
remove all traces before trying the updated drivers :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

Looking_For _Corpses
November 1st 03, 11:39 PM
"phobos" > wrote in message
> Looking_For _Corpses wrote:
>
> > I have a nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 MODEL 64
> > graphics card. But all my games run on that
> > 'software rendering' thing. There's no other
> > option and there should be one right? I installed
> > all the drivers. So like i said i dont know much,
> > but any help would be kewl!
> >
> > thanx
> >

> In short, you need to run your games under what's called an "accelerated
> API". Like Direct 3D or OpenGL.
>
> If you see a game that runs under "DirectX 8" or "DX9", then it runs
> under accelerated Direct3D.
>
> Download an install the latest reference drivers from NVIDIA
> (www.nvidia.com), go through the card selector and download the drivers
> appropriate for your TNT2.
>
> Even though your card is old and limited, you can still run under what's
> called "Direct3D HAL" mode and OpenGL should just run without a problem.
>
> Games like Unreal Tournament and such often give you the choice of
> selecting D3d or OpenGL at startup, or configuring it through the menus.
> If you have a problem with a specific game, please post back to the
group.

When I start up Tony Hawks 4 the screen flashes a couple of
times and i get this message - "Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
4 was unable to initialize graphics engine"

Lebowski
November 2nd 03, 12:45 AM
"Looking_For _Corpses" > wrote in message

> "phobos" > wrote in message
> > Looking_For _Corpses wrote:
> >
> > > I have a nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 MODEL 64
> > > graphics card. But all my games run on that
> > > 'software rendering' thing. There's no other
> > > option and there should be one right? I installed
> > > all the drivers. So like i said i dont know much,
> > > but any help would be kewl!
> > >
> > > thanx
> > >

> > In short, you need to run your games under what's called an "accelerated
> > API". Like Direct 3D or OpenGL.
> >
> > If you see a game that runs under "DirectX 8" or "DX9", then it runs
> > under accelerated Direct3D.
> >
> > Download an install the latest reference drivers from NVIDIA
> > (www.nvidia.com), go through the card selector and download the drivers
> > appropriate for your TNT2.
> >
> > Even though your card is old and limited, you can still run under what's
> > called "Direct3D HAL" mode and OpenGL should just run without a problem.
> >
> > Games like Unreal Tournament and such often give you the choice of
> > selecting D3d or OpenGL at startup, or configuring it through the menus.
> > If you have a problem with a specific game, please post back to the
> group.
> >

> When I start up Tony Hawks 4 the screen flashes a couple of
> times and i get this message - "Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
> 4 was unable to initialize graphics engine"

Does your graphics card meet the minimum system requirements? The TNT's a
pretty old card now and the game has some pretty steep minimum requirements.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
PII-800, 256MB RAM
700MB HDD Free
32MB 3D accelerator

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM
PIII-1000, 512MB RAM

I have a 128mb GF4 ti4200, 768mb ram and an AMD 2400+XP cpu and the Tony
Hawk 4 PC Demo runs fine, but I recall that it needs something like a
minimum of a GeForce2 or better. Is your TNT a 32mb card?

Lebowski
November 2nd 03, 03:30 AM
Maybe you should put your old card on an Ebay-type auction site (people pay
ridiculous sums of money for older video cards on these sites), and use the
money gained to go towards a new card, so all your games will work properly?
That's what I would do...and you can buy cheap video cards brand new these
days that will play games just fine.