PDA

View Full Version : got a ti4440 what's the best upgrade for me?

The Hammer
October 30th 03, 11:27 PM
Xp 2800+
corsair 3200 512Mb
fsb 200
ti4400

want ugrade vid card, is the fx5700 gonna make me happy or wont i really
notice it unless I get the 5900 or above :)

have the money but would rather spend less if i can as i have eye on nice
Phillips TFT :)

cheers

There is a solution!"

http://www.giantcompany.com

F r e e
October 31st 03, 12:11 AM
i have a 4200 and don't feel any need to change go figure :-)))

--=20
F r e e=20
I get my kicks in the quick flip-flops!

"The Hammer" '> escribi=F3 en el mensaje =
.. .
> Xp 2800+
> corsair 3200 512Mb
> fsb 200
> ti4400
>=20
> want ugrade vid card, is the fx5700 gonna make me happy or wont i =
really
> notice it unless I get the 5900 or above :)
>=20
> have the money but would rather spend less if i can as i have eye on =
nice
> Phillips TFT :)
>=20
> cheers
>=20
>=20
> --=20
>=20
>=20
> "Are you still wasting your time with spam?...
> There is a solution!"
>=20
> Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector
> The most powerful anti-spam software available.
> http://www.giantcompany.com
>=20
>=20

Athura
October 31st 03, 12:27 AM
I went from a ti4400 to a 9700pro on my 2.8g P4 and a gig of ram. I noticed
a big difference in game performance. It was worth it for sure.
I know its not a nvidia card, but you should notice a nice boost going to a
more modern card from the gf4

Darthy
October 31st 03, 12:00 PM
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:27:22 -0000, "The Hammer"
'> wrote:

>Xp 2800+
>corsair 3200 512Mb
>fsb 200
>ti4400
>
>want ugrade vid card, is the fx5700 gonna make me happy or wont i really
>notice it unless I get the 5900 or above :)

You'll need a 5900Ultra or 9800Pro to get a worthwhile upgrade at this
time. Thr 9600 is quite a bit faster... but maybe not enough worth
the upgrade.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

phobos
October 31st 03, 08:55 PM
The Hammer wrote:
> Xp 2800+
> corsair 3200 512Mb
> fsb 200
> ti4400
>
> want ugrade vid card, is the fx5700 gonna make me happy or wont i really
> notice it unless I get the 5900 or above :)
>
> have the money but would rather spend less if i can as i have eye on nice
> Phillips TFT :)
>
> cheers

The 5700U is a great card, but it's not a quantum leap over a 5600U,
just significantly better. I'd stick with the 4400 for now until the
newer core revisions start to come out and we see an end-of-life upgrade
for the NV36 line or the 5950 comes WAY down in price. Right now isn't
a terribly good time to buy a new card anyway.

The 4400 is still a pretty good card and actually scores higher than the
low end FX lineup in DX9 games.

Just get a good screen for now, and if your card can handle it, punch up
the refresh rate and lock vsync, 85-100 TRUE sync'd FPS is a beauty to
behold.

jeffc
October 31st 03, 09:53 PM
"phobos" > wrote in message

> The 5700U is a great card, but it's not a quantum leap over a 5600U,
> just significantly better.

I think we need to check our definitions. Quantum: small, but significant
:-)
(I know, since everyone says "quantum leap", and quantum sounds "outer
spacey", they assume it means stupendously huge. But think of the size of
an atom for a second.....)

> Right now isn't
> a terribly good time to buy a new card anyway.

Man if I had a nickel everytime someone said that, I'd have quite a kick
butt system.
Oh well, enough whining for Friday afternoon......

that bloke
October 31st 03, 10:23 PM
> I think we need to check our definitions. Quantum: small, but significant
> :-)
> (I know, since everyone says "quantum leap", and quantum sounds "outer
> spacey", they assume it means stupendously huge. But think of the size of
> an atom for a second.....)

No, bearing in mind the relative distances involved where quantii actually
leap, the distance is in fact, huge.

"A quantum leap" is the same as a human being jumping over the Atlantic
Ocean.

jeffc
October 31st 03, 11:16 PM
"that bloke" > wrote in message
. ..

> > I think we need to check our definitions. Quantum: small, but
significant
> > :-)
> > (I know, since everyone says "quantum leap", and quantum sounds "outer
> > spacey", they assume it means stupendously huge. But think of the size
of
> > an atom for a second.....)
>

> No, bearing in mind the relative distances involved where quantii actually
> leap, the distance is in fact, huge.
>
> "A quantum leap" is the same as a human being jumping over the Atlantic
> Ocean.

Quantum means abrupt, noticeable, definite, discrete, distinct, significant,
etc., but not huge. For example, if a price goes from 97 cents to 98 cents,
that is a quantum leap in price.

jeffc
October 31st 03, 11:18 PM
"that bloke" > wrote in message
. ..

> > I think we need to check our definitions. Quantum: small, but
significant
> > :-)
> > (I know, since everyone says "quantum leap", and quantum sounds "outer
> > spacey", they assume it means stupendously huge. But think of the size
of
> > an atom for a second.....)
>

> No, bearing in mind the relative distances involved where quantii actually
> leap, the distance is in fact, huge.
>
> "A quantum leap" is the same as a human being jumping over the Atlantic
> Ocean.

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?QuantumLeap

jeffc
November 1st 03, 12:04 AM
"that bloke" > wrote in message
. ..

> No, bearing in mind the relative distances involved where quantii actually
> leap, the distance is in fact, huge.
>
> "A quantum leap" is the same as a human being jumping over the Atlantic
> Ocean.

To use your analogy, it would be like a human being moving to the airplane
seat next to him, or stepping down one step on a flight of stairs.

J.Clarke
November 1st 03, 06:15 PM
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 21:23:36 -0000
"that bloke" > wrote:

> > I think we need to check our definitions. Quantum: small, but
> > significant:-)
> > (I know, since everyone says "quantum leap", and quantum sounds
> > "outer spacey", they assume it means stupendously huge. But think
> > of the size of an atom for a second.....)
>

> No, bearing in mind the relative distances involved where quantii
> actually leap, the distance is in fact, huge.
>
> "A quantum leap" is the same as a human being jumping over the
> Atlantic Ocean.

In point of fact a "quantum leap" is the smallest distance that it is
possible for something to move.

And the incremental quantum levels within atoms are not large relative
to the size of the atom.

And quantum changes occur every time you move your finger or
think a thought or, well, basically any time that _anything_ changes
quantum leaps occur.

Further, "quantii" do not "leap". Subatomic particles of various kinds
change their energy states in fixed increments, with the fixed increment
being a "quantum".

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)