PDA

View Full Version : 52.16 driver consider harmful

Callas
October 26th 03, 07:19 PM
Installed 52.16 in an attempt to get AA working for Halo Trial.

After reboot, PC freezes up when NVIDIA taskbar icon is clicked on.

Also dialog with message "Catastrophic Failure" presented when
attempting to view GeForce configuration.

I uninstall the driver and try installing again.

This time, PC freezes up a few seconds after booting.

Boot in safe mode, remove driver.

Install old driver version (41.09).

Driver *does not install*. No error given.

After some experimentation, it seems the .inf file has an error "section
missing" when used. The installer appears to silently discard this
error.

After some *hours*, it now appears that no driver can be installed.

I'm pretty much out of ideas, so I'll be reverting to my Norton Ghost
image.

I'm *not* pleased.

Installing the latest video driver should not **** my PC up, waste a day
of my time and require me to revert to a backup.

To make the point, my next video card purchase will be from ATI.

--
Callas

October 26th 03, 09:04 PM
Many of us have installed the driver without any problems. You did not
mention which operating system you were using so if you are using Windows XP
or Windows ME then try a system restore point prior to the problem in
question. You can initialize a restore point from the safe mode. Generally
speaking drivers do not cause this problem but rather a conflict with a
program running in the background is to blame, ( which interfered with the
installation of the driver).

regards

"Callas" > wrote in message
> Installed 52.16 in an attempt to get AA working for Halo Trial.
>
> After reboot, PC freezes up when NVIDIA taskbar icon is clicked on.
>
> Also dialog with message "Catastrophic Failure" presented when
> attempting to view GeForce configuration.
>
> I uninstall the driver and try installing again.
>
> This time, PC freezes up a few seconds after booting.
>
> Boot in safe mode, remove driver.
>
> Install old driver version (41.09).
>
> Driver *does not install*. No error given.
>
> After some experimentation, it seems the .inf file has an error "section
> missing" when used. The installer appears to silently discard this
> error.
>
> After some *hours*, it now appears that no driver can be installed.
>
> I'm pretty much out of ideas, so I'll be reverting to my Norton Ghost
> image.
>
> I'm *not* pleased.
>
> Installing the latest video driver should not **** my PC up, waste a day
> of my time and require me to revert to a backup.
>
> To make the point, my next video card purchase will be from ATI.
>
> --
> Callas

i'm_tired
October 26th 03, 09:10 PM
Callas wrote:
> Installed 52.16 in an attempt to get AA working for Halo Trial.
>
> After reboot, PC freezes up when NVIDIA taskbar icon is clicked on.
>
> Also dialog with message "Catastrophic Failure" presented when
> attempting to view GeForce configuration.
>
> I uninstall the driver and try installing again.
>
> This time, PC freezes up a few seconds after booting.
>
> Boot in safe mode, remove driver.
>
> Install old driver version (41.09).
>
> Driver *does not install*. No error given.
>
> After some experimentation, it seems the .inf file has an error
> "section missing" when used. The installer appears to silently
> discard this error.
>
> After some *hours*, it now appears that no driver can be installed.
>
> I'm pretty much out of ideas, so I'll be reverting to my Norton Ghost
> image.
>
> I'm *not* pleased.
>
> Installing the latest video driver should not **** my PC up, waste a
> day of my time and require me to revert to a backup.
>
> To make the point, my next video card purchase will be from ATI.

LOL. Go read. Cat 3.5 and 3.8 have had their own issues. 3.8 is a big
improvement over earlier Cats but there are people who have systems thet
don't like 3.8 just like there are people who have systems that don't like
52.16 Dets. Why did you need to upgrade your driver, anyway? Was there a
game you couldn't play with whatever driver it was that you were running
before? Was there some system task that could not be accomplished while
using the drivers that came with your card?

If you are going to swap drivers, there can be consequences. That goes for
video cards, audio cards, or any sort of system device, for that matter. If
you are not satisfied when your system is already running OK, and you choose
to change drivers or tweek settings, then you should be prepared to "waste a
day" and occasionally "**** your PC up" and maybe even be forced to "revert
to a backup". If you are not prepared to do that, hire a professional when
you need to change devices or upgrade drivers or etc.

Wanna be a geek? Seriously, do you want anyone in the world to beleive you
are competant to do administration of your own system? If so, quit your
whinging. If not, hire someone who is competant.

Billy_Bat
October 26th 03, 09:49 PM
"i'm_tired" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s52...
> Callas wrote:
> > Installed 52.16 in an attempt to get AA working for Halo Trial.
> >
> > After reboot, PC freezes up when NVIDIA taskbar icon is clicked on.
> >
> > Also dialog with message "Catastrophic Failure" presented when
> > attempting to view GeForce configuration.
> >
> > I uninstall the driver and try installing again.
> >
> > This time, PC freezes up a few seconds after booting.
> >
> > Boot in safe mode, remove driver.
> >
> > Install old driver version (41.09).
> >
> > Driver *does not install*. No error given.
> >
> > After some experimentation, it seems the .inf file has an error
> > "section missing" when used. The installer appears to silently
> > discard this error.
> >
> > After some *hours*, it now appears that no driver can be installed.
> >
> > I'm pretty much out of ideas, so I'll be reverting to my Norton Ghost
> > image.
> >
> > I'm *not* pleased.
> >
> > Installing the latest video driver should not **** my PC up, waste a
> > day of my time and require me to revert to a backup.
> >
> > To make the point, my next video card purchase will be from ATI.
>

> snip<
> Why did you need to upgrade your driver, anyway? Was there a
> game you couldn't play with whatever driver it was that you were running
> before? Was there some system task that could not be accomplished while
> using the drivers that came with your card?
>
> If you are going to swap drivers, there can be consequences. That goes
for
> video cards, audio cards, or any sort of system device, for that matter.
If
> you are not satisfied when your system is already running OK, and you
choose
> to change drivers or tweek settings, then you should be prepared to "waste
> day" and occasionally "**** your PC up" and maybe even be forced to
"revert
> to a backup". If you are not prepared to do that, hire a professional
when
> you need to change devices or upgrade drivers or etc.
>
> Wanna be a geek? Seriously, do you want anyone in the world to beleive
you
> are competant to do administration of your own system? If so, quit your
> whinging. If not, hire someone who is competant.

Often the new drivers bring enhanced operation. Many people say that the
52.16s did so. Many more of us have had many problems after installing them.
I personally never had a problem just installing an Nvidia driver over
another. With the ATI cards in other of my machines, youhad to wipe out
anything that had to do with ATI before installing new drivers. I even did
that with the 52.16s, and still had it go crazy on me, when playing
Battlefield 1942. (this on a clean install of XP, coincidentally)
Good Luck!
BB

678
October 26th 03, 10:33 PM
Billy_Bat wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Often the new drivers bring enhanced operation. Many people say that the
> 52.16s did so. Many more of us have had many problems after installing them.
> I personally never had a problem just installing an Nvidia driver over
> another. With the ATI cards in other of my machines, youhad to wipe out
> anything that had to do with ATI before installing new drivers. I even did
> that with the 52.16s, and still had it go crazy on me, when playing
> Battlefield 1942. (this on a clean install of XP, coincidentally)
> Good Luck!

I'd say a valid conclusion we could draw is: "no drivers works on all
machines in this world".

I installed the 52.16 without any uninstallation done in advance (I
usually don't do that anyway). So far everything runs fine.

Derek Wildstar
October 26th 03, 10:57 PM
"Callas" > wrote in message

> Installing the latest video driver should not **** my PC up, waste a day
> of my time and require me to revert to a backup.

This is an unqualified true statement. However, the state of computer
engineering as it is, you have to take proactive measures to ensure that any
system level changes you make to your PC will not bork it.

The Detonator Suites, as a rule, are well behaved and low-risk, however each
install is different and you need to ensure your system is competently
prepped, prior to install.

Not knowing you personally, nor your PC, It would be rash of me to accuse
you of doing something wrong, however something did go wrong, and that
problem has not been addressed. If you wish to try again, I and others here,
will help you try and get your PC up to speed.

> To make the point, my next video card purchase will be from ATI.

This is an intellectually incomplete decision, please rethink it. :)

The Black Wibble
October 27th 03, 12:12 AM
Callas wrote:
> Installed 52.16 in an attempt to get AA working for Halo Trial.
>
> After reboot, PC freezes up when NVIDIA taskbar icon is clicked on.
>
> Also dialog with message "Catastrophic Failure" presented when
> attempting to view GeForce configuration.
>
> I uninstall the driver and try installing again.
>
> This time, PC freezes up a few seconds after booting.
>
> Boot in safe mode, remove driver.
>
> Install old driver version (41.09).
>
> Driver *does not install*. No error given.
>
> After some experimentation, it seems the .inf file has an error "section
> missing" when used. The installer appears to silently discard this
> error.
>
> After some *hours*, it now appears that no driver can be installed.
>
> I'm pretty much out of ideas, so I'll be reverting to my Norton Ghost
> image.
>
> I'm *not* pleased.
>
> Installing the latest video driver should not **** my PC up, waste a day
> of my time and require me to revert to a backup.
>
> To make the point, my next video card purchase will be from ATI.

It only takes a minute to restore XP to a state prior to 52.16 screwing
up ~unless~ you have disabled XP's System Restore. XP creates restore
points automatically, so it is just a matter of going to "Start->Help
and Support->Undo changes to your computer with System Restore" and
selecting a suitable restore point.

You're not the only one having problems with 52.16. After playing
around with Dual Display settings, the MSI clock values in Display
Properties became unintelligable and could not be reset even by
reinstalling 44.03. So I chose a restore point where 52.16 was installed
and the MSI Clock dialog was working.

Cheers,
Tony.

Baron Von Black
October 27th 03, 01:14 AM
" To make the point, my next video card purchase will be from ATI."

Yep great move! I'm still waiting for a good driver........ on my ATI.

I own both so have plenty of experience of naff drivers.

Managed to get 52.16 to work perfect after a little twiddling.

goto

Properties
Settings
Troubleshooting

Now you will see

Hardware Acceleration

Set it to NONE

Now remove to TICK from

Enable Write Combining

Now reboot

Once rebooted set Hardware Acceleration to FULL & Enable Write Combining
back on.

This trick has worked on both my Geforce 4400TI & Geforce 4 MX.

Good luck

---

Callas
October 27th 03, 08:14 AM
wrote:
> Many of us have installed the driver without any problems. You did not
> mention which operating system you were using so if you are using Windows XP
> or Windows ME then try a system restore point prior to the problem in
> question. You can initialize a restore point from the safe mode.

Windows 2000.

After five hours of trying to fix it, I restored from my current norton
ghost image. It took about an hour to do, plus an hour to bring the
installation entirely up to date.

> Generally
> speaking drivers do not cause this problem but rather a conflict with a
> program running in the background is to blame, ( which interfered with the
> installation of the driver).

I find this hard to believe. Can you provide a reference to where this
has been proved?

--
Callas

Callas
October 27th 03, 08:16 AM
wrote:
> Callas wrote:

> > To make the point, my next video card purchase will be from ATI.

> LOL. Go read. Cat 3.5 and 3.8 have had their own issues. 3.8 is a big
> improvement over earlier Cats but there are people who have systems thet
> don't like 3.8 just like there are people who have systems that don't like
> 52.16 Dets.

The point of changing supplier is not to buy a better product, but to
penalise the original supplier for making such a henious mistake.

> Why did you need to upgrade your driver, anyway? Was there a
> game you couldn't play with whatever driver it was that you were running
> before? Was there some system task that could not be accomplished while
> using the drivers that came with your card?

Read the post - these questions are specifically ansered.

Moreover, answering the event of a driver which breaks Windows with "why
did you need to upgrade your driver anyway?" is *wrong*.

> If you are going to swap drivers, there can be consequences. That goes for
> video cards, audio cards, or any sort of system device, for that matter.

This does not in *any way* justify a driver breaking the system.

--
Callas

Callas
October 27th 03, 08:18 AM
wrote:
> This trick has worked on both my Geforce 4400TI & Geforce 4 MX.
>
> Good luck

Thanks - should I end up in that situation again, I'll try this. As it
is, I've restored from a ghost image.

--
Callas

i'm_tired
October 27th 03, 09:57 AM
Callas wrote:
> wrote:
<snip>>
>> Generally
>> speaking drivers do not cause this problem but rather a conflict
>> with a program running in the background is to blame, ( which
>> interfered with the installation of the driver).
>
> I find this hard to believe. Can you provide a reference to where
> this
> has been proved?

You honestly need a reference? Uhhhh, did you happen to notice the screen
that appears when installing drivers (or just about any software ever
written for windoze) that tells you to shut down all other running programs
before continuing your install??! Did you even bother to turn off your
virus scan as every single set of dets specifically directs you to with its
own alert??!

I wasn't wrong with my suggestion that you should hire a professional when
you need to do any administration of your system. you are obviously
incompetant, - - or maybe just stoned. How long have you been using
windows? Like what? A month?

Darthy
October 28th 03, 09:24 AM
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 20:10:29 GMT, "i'm_tired"
> wrote:

>Callas wrote:
>> Installed 52.16 in an attempt to get AA working for Halo Trial.

>LOL. Go read. Cat 3.5 and 3.8 have had their own issues. 3.8 is a big
>improvement over earlier Cats but there are people who have systems thet
>don't like 3.8 just like there are people who have systems that don't like
>52.16 Dets. Why did you need to upgrade your driver, anyway? Was there a
>game you couldn't play with whatever driver it was that you were running
>before? Was there some system task that could not be accomplished while
>using the drivers that came with your card?

Er... games come out that require drive patches and as shown, the
52.xx drivers are A LOT faster than the 4x.xx drivers for fx cards.

*I* had to install the 52.16 drivers to get HALO to work correctly to
display the SNIPER SCOPE... otherwise, it DOES NOT WORK.

But the 52.16 drivers are **** in my book.

1 - UT plays a bit worse, its not as SMOOTH as the previous 30.82
drivers *I* was using before. The 45.xx drivers I tired made some
games CRASH OUT.

2 - The visual look in UT (classic) looks worse than before.

3 - My Windows Desktop NOW has visual glitches after playing a game
such as HALO - requireing a REBOOT to fix. Many screen areas are
garbeled...

52.16 drivers... I'm not impressed. These are supposed to be WHQL
drivers?! Bull ****. Which also PROVES how much **** M$ is full of
when it comes to "Signed" drivers.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
October 28th 03, 09:27 AM
What problems were you having?

I'm getting garbage in IE5.5

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 00:14:12 +0000 (UTC), "Baron Von Black"
> wrote:

>" To make the point, my next video card purchase will be from ATI."
>
>Yep great move! I'm still waiting for a good driver........ on my ATI.
>
>I own both so have plenty of experience of naff drivers.
>
>Managed to get 52.16 to work perfect after a little twiddling.
>
>goto
>
>Properties
>Settings
>Troubleshooting
>
>Now you will see
>
>Hardware Acceleration
>
>Set it to NONE
>
>Now remove to TICK from
>
>Enable Write Combining
>
>Now reboot
>
>Once rebooted set Hardware Acceleration to FULL & Enable Write Combining
>back on.
>
>This trick has worked on both my Geforce 4400TI & Geforce 4 MX.
>
>Good luck
>

>---

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
October 28th 03, 09:28 AM
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:26:25 +0100, "Flow" > wrote:

>In windowsXP it can be needed to first uninstall the drivers and then remove
>the hardware in system manager.
>
>Windows is still not as smooth as it should be :(

That's because M$ Windows is a Piece of **** and never should have
gained 95% of the desktop market.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Mr. Grinch
October 28th 03, 11:06 PM
Takes me 15 min to ghost my 2GB Server 2003 system partition, 5 min to
restore it, from another hard drive in my system.

Updating drivers can break things, nothing new here. If you'd backed up
first you would have not had to worry about restoring from an old image and
waste time on updates.

I've been using ATI cards too, since the original EGA wonder, and I can
tell you, they have their own share of issues. My last attempt was with an
8500 that simply refused to run in any dual-cpu system due to ATI's poor
drivers. Sure, I may try them again, but only because they are the only
ones that have anything like the all-in-wonder cards, not because I think
their drivers are somehow better. Talk to anyone who's using professional
OpenGL apps, and they have a lot of issues with the consumer vid cards from
both Nvidia and ATI for example.

Callas > wrote in
: