PDA

View Full Version : EVGA GeForce4 Ti 4200 on Windows XP

Hrishi
October 23rd 03, 12:33 AM
I just got a EVga GeForce4 Ti 4200 (64MB) and am running a XP2200+
with 512MB Ram on a T-Bird Chipset which has a 4X AGP slot for high
graphics display. I was running a GeForce2 MX (32MB) on the same
machine before and it worked flawlessly. I was using NVidia's
detonator drivers - Detonator-52.13 and everything was great.

I removed the old card and put in the GeForce 4 into the machine and
reboot it. It comes up fine, lets me log in etc etc. In some
instances, it works fine until I run a game - Madden 2004 or ET and it
then just freezes the machine. Once in a while the monitor powers off,
as if it suddenly lost signal. No choice but to reboot the machine.

Most of the times, it comes up, I see the main windows screens with
all my application icons etc...and then the monitor powers off.

I am not sure what the problem is.

I ran the exact same test with the same hardware, but this time using
Suse 8.2. Not a single problem. The machine can go on and on...for
hours without any loss of signal to the monitor etc.

Anyone seen this before or know what the problem is?

Shepİ
October 23rd 03, 01:19 AM
On 22 Oct 2003 16:33:47 -0700, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs (Hrishi)
wrote :

>I just got a EVga GeForce4 Ti 4200 (64MB) and am running a XP2200+
>with 512MB Ram on a T-Bird Chipset which has a 4X AGP slot for high
>graphics display. I was running a GeForce2 MX (32MB) on the same
>machine before and it worked flawlessly. I was using NVidia's
>detonator drivers - Detonator-52.13 and everything was great.
>
>I removed the old card and put in the GeForce 4 into the machine and
>reboot it. It comes up fine, lets me log in etc etc. In some
>instances, it works fine until I run a game - Madden 2004 or ET and it
>then just freezes the machine. Once in a while the monitor powers off,
>as if it suddenly lost signal. No choice but to reboot the machine.
>
>Most of the times, it comes up, I see the main windows screens with
>all my application icons etc...and then the monitor powers off.
>
>I am not sure what the problem is.
>
>I ran the exact same test with the same hardware, but this time using
>Suse 8.2. Not a single problem. The machine can go on and on...for
>hours without any loss of signal to the monitor etc.
>
>Anyone seen this before or know what the problem is?

The 4 series cards need a lot of juice.What power supply do you have?
Also as you have moved up to the 5 series drivers you may need to
fully clean out the old drivers and their registry entries so use a
Detonator removal tool for your O/S.
http://download.guru3d.com/detonator/

HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email

RPM
October 23rd 03, 02:00 PM
I think I see a similar problem with my Geforce 4 ti4200 card. It was
working great until last week, when I started to notice some artifacts
on the screen. Now they are all over the place. When I try to flip
into 16-bit mode either with a game or just through windows, the
system locks up on me, the screen blinks, and the monitor goes off and
on like it's losing it's signal. I've tried reinstalling the
detonator drivers, then I tried uninstalling them and using that util
from guru3d to get rid of the remnaints, but to no avail. I have a
400W power supply in the box, and about 4 or 5 fans going at any given
time.

The card is 2 months old. Incidentally this is the second GeForce
card that has fallen apart on me like this, although the other was in
a different system. If it's fried I don't think I'm going to be
buying GeForce cards anymore >:(