PDA

View Full Version : I think NVIDIA drivers damaged my monitor

Darkfalz
October 21st 03, 02:48 PM
My monitor started making a high pitched buzzing sound about a week after I
put my Geforce FX card in. It gets more noticble at the upper end of its
timing limits (1024x768 85 Hz in this case) and I'm starting to think it
might be on the brink.

I've had this monitor for years, and I've never had a problem with it until
now. But I think I know what has caused this damage.

It's the incessant clicking over that the drivers cause the monitor to go
through, not only 2 or 3 times every time you boot up, but every time you
click the Media Centre icon or enter display properties. It can't be good
for your monitor for it to be doing that so often, and never mind that it's
just loud and annoying as a user.

This clicking (I'm guessing its reenumerating displays or something) is also
the reason for my other post about it constantly switching monitor
configurations. It's just such a pain in the arse all around.

So why the hell does it have to do this all the time? How about once at
bootup and then leave it?

Does NVIDIA support monitor this group? I want this fixed before the next
driver release.

Do ATI cards also have a similar behaviour? I'm thinking of getting a new
card.

BigJIm
October 21st 03, 04:52 PM
try reducing the refresh rate, but it sounds like the monitor is starting to
go.
If you have exceeded the manufactures warranty then you got your monies
worth.
"Darkfalz" > wrote in message
> My monitor started making a high pitched buzzing sound about a week after
> put my Geforce FX card in. It gets more noticble at the upper end of its
> timing limits (1024x768 85 Hz in this case) and I'm starting to think it
> might be on the brink.
>
> I've had this monitor for years, and I've never had a problem with it
until
> now. But I think I know what has caused this damage.
>
> It's the incessant clicking over that the drivers cause the monitor to go
> through, not only 2 or 3 times every time you boot up, but every time you
> click the Media Centre icon or enter display properties. It can't be good
> for your monitor for it to be doing that so often, and never mind that
it's
> just loud and annoying as a user.
>
> This clicking (I'm guessing its reenumerating displays or something) is
also
> the reason for my other post about it constantly switching monitor
> configurations. It's just such a pain in the arse all around.
>
> So why the hell does it have to do this all the time? How about once at
> bootup and then leave it?
>
> Does NVIDIA support monitor this group? I want this fixed before the next
> driver release.
>
> Do ATI cards also have a similar behaviour? I'm thinking of getting a new
> card.

chainbreaker
October 21st 03, 05:56 PM
Darkfalz wrote:
> My monitor started making a high pitched buzzing sound about a week
> after I put my Geforce FX card in. It gets more noticble at the upper
> end of its timing limits (1024x768 85 Hz in this case) and I'm
> starting to think it might be on the brink.
>
> I've had this monitor for years, and I've never had a problem with it
> until now. But I think I know what has caused this damage.

Sounds to me like you've just worn your monitor out. That does happen, you
know.
--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.

Wookie
October 22nd 03, 01:38 PM
Find out what refresh rates your monitor can support and suggests to use.
You don't need 85 HZ ... 75 Hz is just fine .. some people go with 60 HZ ..
I think that can giv eyou some headaches after many hours at the monitor
though.

"Darkfalz" > wrote in message
> My monitor started making a high pitched buzzing sound about a week after
> put my Geforce FX card in. It gets more noticble at the upper end of its
> timing limits (1024x768 85 Hz in this case) and I'm starting to think it
> might be on the brink.
>
> I've had this monitor for years, and I've never had a problem with it
until
> now. But I think I know what has caused this damage.
>
> It's the incessant clicking over that the drivers cause the monitor to go
> through, not only 2 or 3 times every time you boot up, but every time you
> click the Media Centre icon or enter display properties. It can't be good
> for your monitor for it to be doing that so often, and never mind that
it's
> just loud and annoying as a user.
>
> This clicking (I'm guessing its reenumerating displays or something) is
also
> the reason for my other post about it constantly switching monitor
> configurations. It's just such a pain in the arse all around.
>
> So why the hell does it have to do this all the time? How about once at
> bootup and then leave it?
>
> Does NVIDIA support monitor this group? I want this fixed before the next
> driver release.
>
> Do ATI cards also have a similar behaviour? I'm thinking of getting a new
> card.

Biz
October 22nd 03, 10:16 PM
"Lenny" > wrote in message

> > You don't need 85 HZ ... 75 Hz is just fine ..
>
> 75Hz is definitely borderline for modern monitors (the phosphors used has
> very short persistence to protect from burn-in problems), especially if
the
> room has flourescent lighting and/or you're tired.
>
> > some people go with 60 HZ ..
>
> ...And promptly get a headache, most likely. NOT recommended.

His next sentence that you snipped said exactly that......

Name withheld by request
October 23rd 03, 07:28 AM
I popped for an LCD monitor early this year, and I'll never go back to
a CRT again. I'm not a gammer, but I spend a LOT of time looking at
text, and for me at least, the LCD is sharper on text, and I don't
have to bother with a refresh rate <G>