View Full Version : low frame rate

Stefano Pilat
October 20th 03, 02:16 PM
With my system

AMD Athlon 2800+
Geforce FX 5200 128 Mb
512 Mb RAM
Windows XP HE

I'm not able to play recent games with a decent frame rate. For example in
Aquamark3 test (1024x768x32, no FSAA, 4x anisotr., max detail) I can't reach
20 fps. I tried different detonator versions (from 41.xx to 52.13). How can
be possible?

Thank for help

Andrew
October 20th 03, 02:20 PM
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:16:49 GMT, "Stefano Pilat" >
wrote:

>I'm not able to play recent games with a decent frame rate. For example in
>Aquamark3 test (1024x768x32, no FSAA, 4x anisotr., max detail) I can't reach
>20 fps. I tried different detonator versions (from 41.xx to 52.13). How can
>be possible?

Because you have a bottom of the range video card that doesn't have
the fill rate to keep up with DX9 applications.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.

NDF
October 20th 03, 02:44 PM
"Stefano Pilat" > wrote in message
> With my system
>
> AMD Athlon 2800+
> Geforce FX 5200 128 Mb
> 512 Mb RAM
> Windows XP HE
>
> I'm not able to play recent games with a decent frame rate. For example in
> Aquamark3 test (1024x768x32, no FSAA, 4x anisotr., max detail) I can't
reach
> 20 fps. I tried different detonator versions (from 41.xx to 52.13). How
can
> be possible?
>
> Thank for help

Unfortunately like many people out there, you got caught up with the hype
and bought something that does not work to your expectations.

While the card is the latest generation it is at the low end of the
performance league tables.

If you are looking for high performance you will need nothing less than
nVidia's FX5800 GPU.

Don't bother with the FX5600 either it isn't much better than what you
already have.

Best thing to do is to return the card if you can and get a better card or
save up till you can.

NDF

Darkfalz
October 20th 03, 03:01 PM
> Geforce FX 5200 128 Mb
>
> How can
> be possible?

Remember how little you paid for the above card?

That's why.

derob
October 20th 03, 04:00 PM
> With my system
>
> AMD Athlon 2800+
> Geforce FX 5200 128 Mb
> 512 Mb RAM
> Windows XP HE
>
> I'm not able to play recent games with a decent frame rate. For example in
> Aquamark3 test (1024x768x32, no FSAA, 4x anisotr., max detail) I can't
reach
> 20 fps. I tried different detonator versions (from 41.xx to 52.13). How
can
> be possible?
>
> Thank for help

Agree with the others. Read something such as
http://content.guru3d.com/article/review/47/13 next time BEFORE you buy
something....

Greetz,

Derob

that bloke
October 20th 03, 05:08 PM
If you want decent performance, I suggest either:

1) An FX card higher than 5600 Ultra

2) An ATi card higher than 9600.

The Ati is choice is cheaper, but if you prefer nVidia then there are that
shouldn't be a problem.

cheezemurda
October 20th 03, 05:49 PM
Well...to tell u the truth...ur gettin low frame rates because its a ****ty card.

I'm not tryin to be mean but the card is ****...i would suggest that if someone is not going to buy a
5900...ur better off getting a low end model of the ati cards...the 5200 and 5600 are pathetic
graphics cards...sorry man but its the truth...i dont think any driver will help.

DaveW
October 21st 03, 01:06 AM
You own an FX 5200; that's how it's possible.

--
DaveW

"Stefano Pilat" > wrote in message
> With my system
>
> AMD Athlon 2800+
> Geforce FX 5200 128 Mb
> 512 Mb RAM
> Windows XP HE
>
> I'm not able to play recent games with a decent frame rate. For example in
> Aquamark3 test (1024x768x32, no FSAA, 4x anisotr., max detail) I can't
reach
> 20 fps. I tried different detonator versions (from 41.xx to 52.13). How
can
> be possible?
>
> Thank for help

magnulus
October 21st 03, 03:53 AM
"Stefano Pilat" > wrote in message

Try a GeForce 5600 or Radeon 9600. I own a GeForce FX 5900 and my CPU is
more of a bottleneck most of the time (Athlon 2400, 266MHz FSB).

With your system you should be able to get around 27-30 FPS in Aquamark 3,
at least.

Darthy
October 21st 03, 08:46 AM
wrote:

>With my system
>
>AMD Athlon 2800+
>Geforce FX 5200 128 Mb
>512 Mb RAM
>Windows XP HE
>
>I'm not able to play recent games with a decent frame rate. For example in
>Aquamark3 test (1024x768x32, no FSAA, 4x anisotr., max detail) I can't reach
>20 fps. I tried different detonator versions (from 41.xx to 52.13). How can
>be possible?

Er gee... what do you expect from a crappy little entry level card?
You can have an AMD64 and it would still run like crap.

Toss the card, get a geForce 5700 or ATI 9600XT or 5900 ($200) - these
are all $200 gaming cards.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!