PDA

View Full Version : 5900 Ultra / Zalman ZM80C-HP

Andrew Wasielewski
October 19th 03, 04:25 PM
Does anyone know whether the Zalman ZM80C-HP with ZM-OP1 fan is up to
cooling a GeForce 5900 Ultra?

If it is, does anyone have any experience of fitting it? I have the PNY
version of the card. It looks like it has HSF mounting holes in the
standard locations. The connector on the card for the stock HSF looks like
a generic system fan connector - is this the case, & so could it be used to
power the ZM-OP1? I am concerned that the switching between high & low fan
speed controlled by the GPU not be compromised.

What about the RAM chips? On the PNY part of the stock heatsink covers
these. Does the ZM80C-HP contact these (looks like not from the pics on
their site), & if not is it possible / necessary to use a passive heatsink?

Thanks in advance for any advice & info.

nightic
October 19th 03, 05:53 PM
"Andrew Wasielewski" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know whether the Zalman ZM80C-HP with ZM-OP1 fan is up to
> cooling a GeForce 5900 Ultra?
>
> If it is, does anyone have any experience of fitting it? I have the PNY
> version of the card. It looks like it has HSF mounting holes in the
> standard locations. The connector on the card for the stock HSF looks
like
> a generic system fan connector - is this the case, & so could it be used
> power the ZM-OP1? I am concerned that the switching between high & low
fan
> speed controlled by the GPU not be compromised.
>
> What about the RAM chips? On the PNY part of the stock heatsink covers
> these. Does the ZM80C-HP contact these (looks like not from the pics on
> their site), & if not is it possible / necessary to use a passive
heatsink?

> Thanks in advance for any advice & info.

It will fit but (according to Zalman) must only be used in conjunction with
the ZM-OP1 fan.
The fan connects via a 3pin plug so has to be connected to a 3pin socket and
is best used in 12v mode (it's reasonably quiet but not especially
powerful - in 7v mode it could be described as silent but it's ouput is
poor).
[12v/7v modes being selectable using the Zalman multiconnector that comes
with the fan - this is not a rheostat though, rather a 1 3pin plug-to-4 3pin
plug lead - 2 of these terminating plugs being wired for 12v, the other 2
for 7v)

The ZM80C-HP does not come into comtact with the RAM chips itself and
although you will be able to fit RAMsinks to the GPU side of the card, the
clearance on the reverse side is very tight indeed.
Finding RAMsinks slim enough to fit on this side will be difficult (the
thinner type you receive with the MSI GeForce 4 cooler will fit,
Tweakmonster/OCZ ones will not )