PDA

View Full Version : TI4200 - random crashes

Chris Smowton
September 17th 03, 09:35 PM
I recently upgraded from a rock steady GeForce2 MX to a GeForce4 Ti
4200. I now experience random lockups ONLY when using games that are
relatively new. For example, the original Unreal Tournament is stable,
whilst UT2003 rarely lasts more than 5 seconds before crashing out.
The crash takes the form of a black screen, and my monitor making mode
change-like fizzling noises. Hard reset is the only option at this
point.

I have upgraded my motherboard drivers and my graphics drivers. This
had no effect.

Specs:

AMD 1.2Ghz
Epox motherboard, with a **** AMD/VIA hybrid chipset (AMD-761 and
accompanying VIA Southbridge)
GeForce4 4200 Ti
GameSurround MX
NE2000 compatible NIC.

Mark Nichols
September 17th 03, 10:10 PM
"Chris Smowton" > wrote in message
m...
> I recently upgraded from a rock steady GeForce2 MX to a GeForce4 Ti
> 4200. I now experience random lockups ONLY when using games that are
> relatively new. For example, the original Unreal Tournament is stable,
> whilst UT2003 rarely lasts more than 5 seconds before crashing out.
> The crash takes the form of a black screen, and my monitor making mode
> change-like fizzling noises. Hard reset is the only option at this
> point.
>
> I have upgraded my motherboard drivers and my graphics drivers. This
> had no effect.
>
> Specs:
>
> AMD 1.2Ghz
> Epox motherboard, with a **** AMD/VIA hybrid chipset (AMD-761 and
> accompanying VIA Southbridge)
> GeForce4 4200 Ti
> GameSurround MX
> NE2000 compatible NIC.

What power supply are you using???

I had similiar issues but more subtle, and this was the issue.. I got a new
430watt Antec True Power PS and the problem disappeared and my system is way
more stable to boot...

-----
Mark

Chris Smowton
September 18th 03, 11:01 AM
"Mark Nichols" > wrote in message >...
> "Chris Smowton" > wrote in message
> m...
> > I recently upgraded from a rock steady GeForce2 MX to a GeForce4 Ti
> > 4200. I now experience random lockups ONLY when using games that are
> > relatively new. For example, the original Unreal Tournament is stable,
> > whilst UT2003 rarely lasts more than 5 seconds before crashing out.
> > The crash takes the form of a black screen, and my monitor making mode
> > change-like fizzling noises. Hard reset is the only option at this
> > point.
> >
> > I have upgraded my motherboard drivers and my graphics drivers. This
> > had no effect.
> >
> > Specs:
> >
> > AMD 1.2Ghz
> > Epox motherboard, with a **** AMD/VIA hybrid chipset (AMD-761 and
> > accompanying VIA Southbridge)
> > GeForce4 4200 Ti
> > GameSurround MX
> > NE2000 compatible NIC.
>

> What power supply are you using???
>
> I had similiar issues but more subtle, and this was the issue.. I got a new
> 430watt Antec True Power PS and the problem disappeared and my system is way
> more stable to boot...
>
> -----
> Mark

My PSU is some unbranded 300W device that came with my case. My BIOS
reports Vagp = 1.58V, is that normal?

Also, the 12V field appears to be giving out 12.9V consistently.

Current hardware running off that 300W supply: Athalon, 2 hard drives,
2 CD drives, sound card, NIC, GeForce4, 2 chassis fans & CPU fan. Is
that cause enough to overload a 300W supply?

Mark Nichols
September 18th 03, 03:56 PM
"Chris Smowton" > wrote in message
om...
> "Mark Nichols" > wrote in message
> > "Chris Smowton" > wrote in message
> > m...
> > > I recently upgraded from a rock steady GeForce2 MX to a GeForce4 Ti
> > > 4200. I now experience random lockups ONLY when using games that are
> > > relatively new. For example, the original Unreal Tournament is stable,
> > > whilst UT2003 rarely lasts more than 5 seconds before crashing out.
> > > The crash takes the form of a black screen, and my monitor making mode
> > > change-like fizzling noises. Hard reset is the only option at this
> > > point.
> > >
> > > I have upgraded my motherboard drivers and my graphics drivers. This
> > > had no effect.
> > >
> > > Specs:
> > >
> > > AMD 1.2Ghz
> > > Epox motherboard, with a **** AMD/VIA hybrid chipset (AMD-761 and
> > > accompanying VIA Southbridge)
> > > GeForce4 4200 Ti
> > > GameSurround MX
> > > NE2000 compatible NIC.
> >

> > What power supply are you using???
> >
> > I had similiar issues but more subtle, and this was the issue.. I got a
new
> > 430watt Antec True Power PS and the problem disappeared and my system is
way
> > more stable to boot...
> >
> > -----
> > Mark
>
> My PSU is some unbranded 300W device that came with my case. My BIOS
> reports Vagp = 1.58V, is that normal?
>
> Also, the 12V field appears to be giving out 12.9V consistently.
>
> Current hardware running off that 300W supply: Athalon, 2 hard drives,
> 2 CD drives, sound card, NIC, GeForce4, 2 chassis fans & CPU fan. Is
> that cause enough to overload a 300W supply?

What about your 5v & 3.3v rails???
I have a 1.4 thunderbird, Geforce4, 2x 7200rpm HDD's, CD-RW, DVD, sound,
lan, 2 case fans, cpu fan... All off a 250watt power supply... Sound
similiar
And would you know it I suspected the powersupply right away.. So I went out
and bought a no name 400watt powersupply....
I'm thinkin, yeah even though its no name, it'll have enough juice...
Turns out it put out heaps of amps on th 12volt rails, but stuff all on the
rest... So it was still rebooting etc....

So I went and bought my current powersupply.... All fixed... :-)

-----
Mark

Chris Smowton
September 19th 03, 08:58 AM
> What about your 5v & 3.3v rails???

5V is giving out 5.02V. 3.3v reads 3.42V. So except for 12V and
possibly Vagp, they're all normal - and once again, what SHOULD Vagp
be?

Lenny
September 19th 03, 09:21 AM
> and once again, what SHOULD Vagp be?

Signal voltage (for data transmissions to and from host system) is afair
3.3V for AGP 1/2x, 1.5V for 4x and...uh, well, a bit lower still for 8x.
This can be adjusted in some BIOSes ("AGP driving value" or some such).
Power voltages are the same as in the rest of the system; 3.3, 5, 12 volts.

Chris Smowton
September 23rd 03, 07:52 AM
"Lenny" > wrote in message >...
> > and once again, what SHOULD Vagp be?
>
> Signal voltage (for data transmissions to and from host system) is afair
> 3.3V for AGP 1/2x, 1.5V for 4x and...uh, well, a bit lower still for 8x.
> This can be adjusted in some BIOSes ("AGP driving value" or some such).
> Power voltages are the same as in the rest of the system; 3.3, 5, 12 volts.

Just for the record: the problem WAS power. I bought a no-name 400W
supply (20 = $30 or so) and there are now no problems. Thanks to
everybody!