PDA

View Full Version : DirectX 7, 8 and 9 visual quality comparison

Dick Trace
September 17th 03, 09:45 AM
I have a dx7 capable videocard.

Will i be losing too much eye candy when playing dx8 or the newer dx9
games?

Has anyone compared the visual differences in real-world games that
support dx7 up to dx9? Screenshots?

Is OpenGL visual quality (eye candy) the same on DX7-DX9 cards?

Thanks.

September 17th 03, 09:52 AM
On 17 Sep 2003 01:45:46 -0700, (Dick Trace)
wrote:

>Has anyone compared the visual differences in real-world games that
>support dx7 up to dx9? Screenshots?

The water in Morrowind when it is raining is stunning on a DX8 card.
There aren't a lot of games that use DX8 or 9 extensively yet though.
I personally upgrade my graphics card regularly for performance
reasons and so I can run with FSAA, it is an added bonus when the more
advanced features of my 9700 are utilised.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.

ho alexandre
September 17th 03, 12:49 PM
Dick Trace wrote:
> Is OpenGL visual quality (eye candy) the same on DX7-DX9 cards?

There are two main 3D renderers : OpenGL and Direct2D (which is part of
DirectX).
Provided you get the latest OpenGL library, your video card can perform
very well. (I try and use OpenGL whenever I can because it appears
prettier for my eyes).

--
XandreX
/I'm that kind of people your parents warned you about/

Ben Pope
September 17th 03, 01:35 PM
Dick Trace wrote:
> I have a dx7 capable videocard.
>
> Will i be losing too much eye candy when playing dx8 or the newer dx9
> games?

I don;t think you can use Pxiel and vertex shaders which seems to be the
route of many newer games.

"Too much" is your judgement.

> Has anyone compared the visual differences in real-world games that
> support dx7 up to dx9? Screenshots?

Well... it difficult to compare, since the features supported for each
generation of cards is game-specific, rather then technology specific.

> Is OpenGL visual quality (eye candy) the same on DX7-DX9 cards?

OpenGL and Direct3D provide similar functionality. I have not found a table
anywhere that describes which features are supported in which versions.

There's some stuff here but it's out of date:
http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/d3d-vs-opengl.html

Direct3D is up to version 9 and OpenGL to 1.4

Ben

Craig
September 17th 03, 04:49 PM
What card do you have now and what games are you going to want to play.
Games like Halflife 2 and Doom III may not even be playable. HL2 I
understand can be run with eye candy off, but whats the point. I believe
HL2 is a dx9 game and Doom III 8.1. Either way, if you wand to play some of
the newer titles, a system upgrade, let alone a vid card upgrade, may be in
order.
om...