PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia going the 3dFX way?

John Llort
September 16th 03, 06:01 PM
Notice that the first Nivida part with the FX designator (ala 3dFX) is the
one that will probably start Nvidias Slide to insolvency. Maybe purchasing
3dfx was like swallowing cyanide. A 500 dollar card that gets beaten by a
200 dollar videocard. Something is wrong and hopefully Nvidia gets on track
or we all end up with a single videocard vendor which means high prices, no
competition.

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/hl2_performance_preview_part2/default.asp

Morgan
September 16th 03, 06:06 PM
NVIDIA Maintain Clear Lead In UK Retail Market Share Throughout 2003
NVIDIA-Based Solutions Enjoy Immense Success On UK Retail Shelves

LONDON - SEPTEMBER 15th, 2003 - NVIDIA Corporation (Nasdaq: NVDA), the
worldwide leader in visual processing solutions, today announced that it
achieved an unprecedented level of retail market share in the UK during 2003
to date.

The company has now accounted for the largest portion of graphics card
retail sales for eight consecutive months. Strong sales of products based on
its chipsets saw NVIDIA's market share grow from 62 per cent in January to
an unparalleled 84 per cent in August for the Top 30 graphics cards sold
through UK retail.

PNY Technologies accounted for a majority of the total sales and occupied
three of the top five positions for the most popular hardware sold every
month. The latest figures from August show PNY's 128MB Verto GeForce FX 5200
board holding the prestigious top position.

"As the only company offering a top to bottom range of DirectX 9.0 desktop
solutions to market, we are giving consumers greater choice and, as a
result, they are choosing GeForce FX," said Roy Taylor, sales director EME
at NVIDIA. "These figures clearly show that there is a considerable demand
for affordable DirectX 9.0-capable graphics

--
Regards

Morgan

John Llort
September 16th 03, 06:17 PM
And remember what happens next?
Press Release - February 14, 2000

3dfx Graphics Boards Are The Hottest Selling Graphics Cards at U.S. Retail
for November and December

Voodoo3 2000 PCI Takes Top Spot For Revenue and Unit Sales

SAN JOSE, Calif.- February 14, 2000 - 3dfx Interactive« Inc. (NASDAQ: TDFX)
today announced that the company continues to hold the top positions for
unit sales of the company's graphics boards, as well as revenue, according
to industry research firm PC Data. The Voodoo3T 2000 PCI and Voodoo3 3000
PCI took the top two spots both months based on unit sales. The Voodoo3 line
has held the top spot for eight consecutive months, ever since the products
were introduced in April 1999.

For November 1999, PC Data's report showed that 3dfx had the top three
selling retail graphics boards in the U.S. in terms of revenue, with the
Voodoo3 2000 PCI, Voodoo3 3000 PCI and Voodoo3 3000 AGP. Additionally, 3dfx
held five of the top six spots for revenue, rounding out with the Voodoo3
3500 TV and Voodoo2T 1000 PCI. In unit sales, 3dfx took the top four spots
with the Voodoo3 2000 PCI, Voodoo2 1000 PCI, Voodoo3 3000 AGP and Voodoo3
3000 PCI.

For December 1999, PC Data's report showed that 3dfx had the top two selling
retail graphics boards in the U.S. in terms of revenue, with the Voodoo3
2000 PCI and Voodoo3 3000 PCI. Additionally, 3dfx held six of the top eight
spots for revenue. In unit sales, 3dfx swept the top five spots with the
Voodoo2 2000 PCI, Voodoo3 3000 PCI, Voodoo2 1000 PCI, Voodoo3 3000 AGP and
Voodoo3 2000 AGP.

"The numbers show a continued strong market for our Voodoo 3 and Voodoo2
product lines," said Dr. Alex Leupp, president and CEO of 3dfx Interactive,
Inc. "Due to the continuing strong support for PCI products, our commitment
to delivering PCI boards has been a strategic advantage over our competitors
for the past several months, as we have continued to capitalize on this
large market."

"3dfx Voodoo3 boards have taken the top spots at retail in terms of revenue
and unit sales for the eighth consecutive month," said Stephen Baker,
director of hardware analysis at PC Data, the computer industry's primary
source for software, hardware and video game sales information. "The sales
figures show that the PCI market is definitely still alive and that 3dfx is
the company catering to this large group of users."

About Voodoo3

The Voodoo3 product line ranges in price and performance to satisfy PC-based
entertainment consumers and game enthusiasts. At $99.99 (suggested US retail
price), the 143MHz Voodoo3 2000 AGP and PCI boards generate up to 6 million
triangles and 286 Megatexels per second at resolutions of up to 2,046 by
1,536 pixels. For $149.99 (suggested US retail price), the 166MHz Voodoo3
3000 AGP and PCI boards - designed for true game enthusiasts - generate 7
million triangles and 333 Megatexels per second at resolutions of up to
2,046 by 1,536 pixels. Billed as the 'ultimate desktop entertainment
system,' the $249.99 (suggested US retail price), Voodoo3 3500 TV board
delivers up to 8 million triangles and 366 Megatexels per second at
resolutions of up to 2,046 by 1,536 pixels.

Morgan
September 16th 03, 06:35 PM
Apart from Graphics chips what else did 3dFX produce....?

--
Regards

Morgan

Flow
September 16th 03, 08:17 PM
They brought stunning and innovative technologie at that time.
It was the days when Ati was struggling to get into 3D market.
Everything will be surpassed in time.
Lets just hope nvidia makes fast and payable cards for us......

"Morgan" > schreef in bericht
> Apart from Graphics chips what else did 3dFX produce....?
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Morgan

Morgan
September 16th 03, 08:39 PM
So 3DFX did not make anything other than graphics chipsets...?

NVidia also make very good motherboard chipsets.

Regardless of which manufacturer occupies the pedestal or the dock it can
only be a good thing for the consumer to have choice.

--
Regards

Morgan

Paul Greer
September 16th 03, 08:57 PM
3dfx didn't go under because of bad cards, they went under through bad
management. People have been prophesying doom for nvidia since before the FX
actually hit the shelves. One bad product cycle isn't going to end it for
them, especially with the nForce2 chipset being what it is. And the
workstation cards are comfortably ahead of their ATi counterparts...
http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030916/index.html It's not nVidia's
finest hour but they'll get through it.

"John Llort" > wrote in message
> Notice that the first Nivida part with the FX designator (ala 3dFX) is the
> one that will probably start Nvidias Slide to insolvency. Maybe purchasing
> 3dfx was like swallowing cyanide. A 500 dollar card that gets beaten by a
> 200 dollar videocard. Something is wrong and hopefully Nvidia gets on
track
> or we all end up with a single videocard vendor which means high prices,
no
> competition.

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/hl2_performance_preview_part2/default
..asp

Lenny
September 16th 03, 09:29 PM
> 3dfx Graphics Boards Are The Hottest Selling Graphics Cards at U.S. Retail

See the magic words here? "U.S. Retail".

This means 3dfx was the top-selling BRAND in retail shops. It doesn't say
anything about OEM sales, or even retail TOTAL CHIP SALES. As there was only
one manufacturer of 3dfx cards at that point in time - namely 3dfx
themselves - while there were (and still are) like one or even several dozen
manufacturers of Nvidia-equipped cards you do the math. It doesn't take to
be the top seller when you count every brand name separately, but if you add
up all the Nvidia sales you'd see a different picture.

This press release lies by omission. 3dfx's market share was piddly in
comparison to Nvidia's, in particular internationally. Their strongest
position was US retail, their OEM presence was nearly non-existant, their
international presence was barely any better.

Tim Miser
September 16th 03, 09:34 PM
Actually, back then Nvidia only made graphic chipsets while 3dfx made the
chipsets, cards, and arcade chipsets. I think the point is that when 3dfx
was taking heat about failing and going down the tubes, they would announce
the sales figures showing how they were outselling the rival Nvidia.
History seems to be repeating. The argument for the other side then was
that since 3dfx made their own graphic cards, the sales figures were not
accurate because Nvidia sold their chipsets to many different smaller
companies. (Creative, Gainward, etc.) Of course, number of sales may
increase revenue but doesn't necessarily increase profit as 3dfx found out.

-Tim

"Morgan" > wrote in message
> So 3DFX did not make anything other than graphics chipsets...?
>
> NVidia also make very good motherboard chipsets.
>
> Regardless of which manufacturer occupies the pedestal or the dock it can
> only be a good thing for the consumer to have choice.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Morgan

mcheu
September 16th 03, 10:53 PM
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:35:15 +0100, "Morgan" > wrote::

>Apart from Graphics chips what else did 3dFX produce....?

Graphics boards. Don't really know what else. There were the usual
gift shop items that bore the 3Dfx logo like T-shirts and mugs, but I
don't know if you can count those.

They made consumer boards after acquiring STB.

It's sort of fuzzy whether you could say 3Dfx made video boards for
military applications or not. The boards were made by Quantum3D, and
some websites say they were a subsidiary of 3Dfx, others like this one
describe it as if it's a related, but independent company:

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/print_article.asp?current_section=Features&fs_article_id=1043

Quantum3D also made boards for graphics workstations such as the
obsidian3d, which was a dual Voodoo1 board destined for one of SGI's
workstations.

Of course, As I said, the 3Dfx-Quantum3D relationship is fuzzy, so I
don't know if you can count those as 3Dfx products or not.

Thanks,

MCheu

Tim Miser
September 16th 03, 11:19 PM
And furthermore, total sales and total profit are two very different
ballgames!

-Tim

"Lenny" > wrote in message

> > 3dfx Graphics Boards Are The Hottest Selling Graphics Cards at U.S.
Retail

> See the magic words here? "U.S. Retail".
>
> This means 3dfx was the top-selling BRAND in retail shops. It doesn't say
> anything about OEM sales, or even retail TOTAL CHIP SALES. As there was
only
> one manufacturer of 3dfx cards at that point in time - namely 3dfx
> themselves - while there were (and still are) like one or even several
dozen
> manufacturers of Nvidia-equipped cards you do the math. It doesn't take to
> be the top seller when you count every brand name separately, but if you
add
> up all the Nvidia sales you'd see a different picture.
>
> This press release lies by omission. 3dfx's market share was piddly in
> comparison to Nvidia's, in particular internationally. Their strongest
> position was US retail, their OEM presence was nearly non-existant, their
> international presence was barely any better.

Ed Medlin
September 17th 03, 10:58 AM
"Tim Miser" > wrote in message
> Actually, back then Nvidia only made graphic chipsets while 3dfx made the
> chipsets, cards, and arcade chipsets. I think the point is that when 3dfx
> was taking heat about failing and going down the tubes, they would
announce
> the sales figures showing how they were outselling the rival Nvidia.
> History seems to be repeating. The argument for the other side then was
> that since 3dfx made their own graphic cards, the sales figures were not
> accurate because Nvidia sold their chipsets to many different smaller
> companies. (Creative, Gainward, etc.) Of course, number of sales may
> increase revenue but doesn't necessarily increase profit as 3dfx found
out.

> -Tim

Actually, for a long time 3dfx only made graphics chipsets as NVidia now
does. The last two years or so was the only time 3dfx manufactured cards
etc. It seems that the additional overhead of that venture was the downfall.
3dfx quit selling chipsets to ALL other vendors during that period too. For
the life of me I can't remember the name of the video card manufacturer that
they purchased mainly for the factory space for manufacturing their own
cards. I do know that the company had previously been very popular for it's
Nvidia 16meg original TNT V7700 (??). I think my old 50+ year old rememberer
is broke.......:-).

Ed

Ed Medlin
September 17th 03, 11:01 AM
"mcheu" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:35:15 +0100, "Morgan" > wrote::
>
> >Apart from Graphics chips what else did 3dFX produce....?
>
> Graphics boards. Don't really know what else. There were the usual
> gift shop items that bore the 3Dfx logo like T-shirts and mugs, but I
> don't know if you can count those.
>
> They made consumer boards after acquiring STB.

Thank you very much mcheu.........I was going crazy trying to remember that
name.....:-)

Ed

_Pablo
September 17th 03, 12:42 PM
STB - if my rememberer serves me correctly.

_Pablo

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 04:58:39 -0500, "Ed Medlin" >
wrote:

>"Tim Miser" > wrote in message
>> Actually, back then Nvidia only made graphic chipsets while 3dfx made the
>> chipsets, cards, and arcade chipsets. I think the point is that when 3dfx
>> was taking heat about failing and going down the tubes, they would
>announce
>> the sales figures showing how they were outselling the rival Nvidia.
>> History seems to be repeating. The argument for the other side then was
>> that since 3dfx made their own graphic cards, the sales figures were not
>> accurate because Nvidia sold their chipsets to many different smaller
>> companies. (Creative, Gainward, etc.) Of course, number of sales may
>> increase revenue but doesn't necessarily increase profit as 3dfx found
>out.
>>
>> -Tim
>
> Actually, for a long time 3dfx only made graphics chipsets as NVidia now
>does. The last two years or so was the only time 3dfx manufactured cards
>etc. It seems that the additional overhead of that venture was the downfall.
>3dfx quit selling chipsets to ALL other vendors during that period too. For
>the life of me I can't remember the name of the video card manufacturer that
>they purchased mainly for the factory space for manufacturing their own
>cards. I do know that the company had previously been very popular for it's
>Nvidia 16meg original TNT V7700 (??). I think my old 50+ year old rememberer
>is broke.......:-).
>

>Ed

Jethro[AGHL]
September 17th 03, 05:05 PM
_Pablo wrote:

> STB - if my rememberer serves me correctly.
>
> _Pablo

Didn't Diamond and Hercules make 3DFX based cards? I know I still have a
Diamond Voodoo1 and a Number9 Voodoo2 card.

--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Phat Clan: http://phats.clanpages.com

chainbreaker
September 17th 03, 05:16 PM
Jethro[AGHL] wrote:
> _Pablo wrote:
>>
>> STB - if my rememberer serves me correctly.
>>
>> _Pablo
>
> Didn't Diamond and Hercules make 3DFX based cards? I know I still
> have a Diamond Voodoo1 and a Number9 Voodoo2 card.

My V2's are both Diamond cards.
--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.

Lenny
September 17th 03, 06:01 PM
> Didn't Diamond and Hercules make 3DFX based cards? I know I still have a
> Diamond Voodoo1 and a Number9 Voodoo2 card.

Yes, but that ended when 3dfx launched the Voodoo3 and decided to become the
sole provider of cards based on their own chips. Turned out to be a horrible
decision that only served to lose money for them.

DaveL
September 18th 03, 12:22 AM
3dfx went belly up because even though they had the hottest selling boards
they could not turn a profit. This same situation is happening today. Only
instead of 3dfx, it's ATI. Nvidia isn't going anywhere. They got a billion
bucks in the bank and have diversified to the point that reduced sales of
it's GPUs won't bury them.

Dave

"John Llort" > wrote in message
> [...]
>
> The Voodoo3 product line ranges in price and performance to satisfy
PC-based
> entertainment consumers and game enthusiasts. At $99.99 (suggested US
retail
> price), the 143MHz Voodoo3 2000 AGP and PCI boards generate up to 6
million
> triangles and 286 Megatexels per second at resolutions of up to 2,046 by
> 1,536 pixels. For $149.99 (suggested US retail price), the 166MHz Voodoo3
> 3000 AGP and PCI boards - designed for true game enthusiasts - generate 7
> million triangles and 333 Megatexels per second at resolutions of up to
> 2,046 by 1,536 pixels. Billed as the 'ultimate desktop entertainment
> system,' the $249.99 (suggested US retail price), Voodoo3 3500 TV board
> delivers up to 8 million triangles and 366 Megatexels per second at
> resolutions of up to 2,046 by 1,536 pixels.

September 18th 03, 12:28 AM
I can't believe it, Lenny. You actually have something positive (somewhat)
to say about Nvidia. I thought you were only here to bash the FX.

Dave

"Lenny" > wrote in message

> > Notice that the first Nivida part with the FX designator (ala 3dFX) is
the
> > one that will probably start Nvidias Slide to insolvency.
>
> OMFG, could people STOP this BS, okay? Nvidia isn't sliding ANYWHERE right
> now, FFS, their profits went UP last quarter. 3dfx bled money for several
> straight years! There isn't a shred of similarity between the two.
Nvidia's
> a strong, healthy company that put out a poorly performing but not poorly
> selling line of videocards while 3dfx tried to push their Voodoo brand
name
> too hard and made countless BAD business decisions and died because of it.

Lenny
September 18th 03, 10:30 AM
> I can't believe it, Lenny. You actually have something positive
(somewhat)
> to say about Nvidia. I thought you were only here to bash the FX.

Dude, I'm an advocate of the TRUTH, not a particular video card company.

I have a GF3 in my system and I like it (though it's getting a tad slow in
modern games, boo hoo!), that doesn't mean I'm going to bend over for Nvidia
and kiss their asses at every opportunity I get, why should I?

It's a VIDEO CARD, not a girlfriend or a religion. Your GF won't love you
back for you defending its honor in an internet newsgroup, stop being silly!
;)

GFFX sucks at DX9 pixel shaders, that's just the way it is, but Nvidia
doesn't deserve being compared to 3dfx just because of that. For starters,
NV has no problems selling their inferior cards to the public, heck I think
they even gained market share this past quarter... Like I said, it's about
the truth. I have nothing to gain from illogically bash Nvidia, nor do I
have anything to gain from giving undeserved praise either.

You understand what I'm saying? ;)

Blade
September 18th 03, 11:01 PM
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:01:58 -0400, "John Llort" >
wrote:

>Notice that the first Nivida part with the FX designator (ala 3dFX) is the
>one that will probably start Nvidias Slide to insolvency. Maybe purchasing
>3dfx was like swallowing cyanide. A 500 dollar card that gets beaten by a
>200 dollar videocard. Something is wrong and hopefully Nvidia gets on track
>or we all end up with a single videocard vendor which means high prices, no
>competition.
>

>http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/hl2_performance_preview_part2/default.asp

$380 NV 5900u 256 $416 R 9800pro 256

I can't find that $500 card. Try pricewatch.. Did you know some of
the sales of there others cards are up 70%. Did you know there doing
better this year than last. If this card blows it wont' stop them in
the least..

WOW the old HL2 don't run well so that means ALL dx9 games won't run.
LOL..

What gets me is HL2 is not even out.

LeeB18509
September 18th 03, 11:31 PM
"Blade" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:01:58 -0400, "John Llort" >
> wrote:
>
> >Notice that the first Nivida part with the FX designator (ala 3dFX) is
the
> >one that will probably start Nvidias Slide to insolvency. Maybe
purchasing
> >3dfx was like swallowing cyanide. A 500 dollar card that gets beaten by a
> >200 dollar videocard. Something is wrong and hopefully Nvidia gets on
track
> >or we all end up with a single videocard vendor which means high prices,
no
> >competition.
> >

>http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/hl2_performance_preview_part2/defaul
t.asp

> $380 NV 5900u 256 $416 R 9800pro 256
>
> I can't find that $500 card. Try pricewatch.. Did you know some of
> the sales of there others cards are up 70%. Did you know there doing
> better this year than last. If this card blows it wont' stop them in
> the least..
>
> WOW the old HL2 don't run well so that means ALL dx9 games won't run.
> LOL..
>
> What gets me is HL2 is not even out.

Gotta love Pricewatch and the 2.0 resellerratings. Let's check local.
Compusa. Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB $349 All the 5900 Ultra 256MB $499. But
the 9800 Pro 256MB same price is sold out. Go figure! Keep deluding
yourself, but if I spent $500 or even $400 on a video card and it only got
30FPS max in both of the next 2 most popular games coming out soon. I'd be
****ed too.

September 19th 03, 06:14 PM
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:22:55 -0700, "DaveL" >
wrote:

Don't count on it ...........

> [...]
>>
>> The Voodoo3 product line ranges in price and performance to satisfy
>PC-based
>> entertainment consumers and game enthusiasts. At $99.99 (suggested US
>retail
>> price), the 143MHz Voodoo3 2000 AGP and PCI boards generate up to 6
>million
>> triangles and 286 Megatexels per second at resolutions of up to 2,046 by
>> 1,536 pixels. For $149.99 (suggested US retail price), the 166MHz Voodoo3
>> 3000 AGP and PCI boards - designed for true game enthusiasts - generate 7
>> million triangles and 333 Megatexels per second at resolutions of up to
>> 2,046 by 1,536 pixels. Billed as the 'ultimate desktop entertainment
>> system,' the $249.99 (suggested US retail price), Voodoo3 3500 TV board
>> delivers up to 8 million triangles and 366 Megatexels per second at
>> resolutions of up to 2,046 by 1,536 pixels.

September 20th 03, 01:50 AM
Go look at the ATI's finance sheet. Three years in a row with no profit.
P/E ratio is N/A. Nvidia may not be making the best GPU's right now but
they still know how to stay in the black.

Dave