PDA

View Full Version : Directx 9.0

Tom
September 15th 03, 01:01 AM
Will directx 8.0 cards run directx 9.0 games that will be released? I know
that HL2 has a directx 8 mode, but what about other future games?

TIA

Tom

methylenedioxy
September 15th 03, 01:09 AM
"Tom" > wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
> Will directx 8.0 cards run directx 9.0 games that will be released? I
know
> that HL2 has a directx 8 mode, but what about other future games?
>
> TIA
>
> Tom

Yes, you just won't get dx9 features, just like dx7 cards run dx8 games...

Mario Kadastik
September 15th 03, 07:14 AM
Tom wrote:
> Will directx 8.0 cards run directx 9.0 games that will be released? I know
> that HL2 has a directx 8 mode, but what about other future games?
>
> TIA
>
> Tom

what your card can't do will be compensated in software or you will lack
some features. I don't think that there will be any games that won't run
at all. I think you can run HL2 on an GF4 MX with maximum low settings,
but it'll run although it's a DX7 card.

Mario

Chimera
September 15th 03, 07:14 AM
methylenedioxy wrote:
> "Tom" > wrote in message
> ble.rogers.com...
>> Will directx 8.0 cards run directx 9.0 games that will be released? I
know
>> that HL2 has a directx 8 mode, but what about other future games?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Tom
>>
> Yes, you just won't get dx9 features, just like dx7 cards run dx8 games...

They may emulate these DX9 calls in software, like DX7 cards (GF4 MX) do
with DX8 calls. Looks just the same, fair bit slower because it's not all
hardware accelerated anymore.

Lenny
September 15th 03, 09:03 AM
> They may emulate these DX9 calls in software, like DX7 cards (GF4 MX) do
> with DX8 calls. Looks just the same, fair bit slower because it's not all
> hardware accelerated anymore.

DX8 and DX9 pixel shaders aren't software emulated at all, so you won't see
these on older hardware. Depending on how the game's designed it may look
vastly different or not much different at all. With HL2 it will look a bit
different. Doom3 will look almost the same, no pixel shaders means gradients
won't be as smooth but it will have the same basic appearance. HL2's effects
can't all be replicated in the same manner using cruder methods, so those
effects will be missing entirely from the game.