PDA

View Full Version : Riva TNT2 M64 or Voodoo4 4500? Help Please...

Ben Nealon
September 13th 03, 06:33 PM
Hi,
I have a computer that is of the following spec: Duron 700Mhz and 256mb
Pc133 Ram. The computer sadly only has a 2x AGP port. Now i have two
graphics cards:

Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 AGP
3DFX Voodoo4 4500 AGP

I want the machine to be used for game playing (this computer is a spare
computer i have put together) Which of the above graphcis cards do you think
i shoudl use in the machine. I obviously want the best compatability with
good/latest games - and obviously the maximum performance i can push from
the system. If you have any of these cards could you please also advise on
any 'Top Performing' Drivers.
I am using Windows XP Professional on the system,

Thanking you in advance,

Ben Nealon

P.S - Do most recent-ish games not supprt the 3DFX Chipset anymore?

Alan
September 13th 03, 07:33 PM
> P.S - Do most recent-ish games not supprt the 3DFX Chipset anymore?

no
most recentish games also need hardware T&L the tnt2 u got there doesnt
support that... neither does it have the power to play anything new... i
dont know about the voodoo but i suspect neither games would be much good
for playing newer games on now

alan

Biz
September 13th 03, 07:37 PM
GO spend $50 on a GF4MX series card for that machine. Neither of those
cards will play most of the newer games.
"Ben Nealon" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a computer that is of the following spec: Duron 700Mhz and
256mb
> Pc133 Ram. The computer sadly only has a 2x AGP port. Now i have two
> graphics cards:
>
> Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 AGP
> 3DFX Voodoo4 4500 AGP
>
> I want the machine to be used for game playing (this computer is a spare
> computer i have put together) Which of the above graphcis cards do you
think
> i shoudl use in the machine. I obviously want the best compatability with
> good/latest games - and obviously the maximum performance i can push from
> the system. If you have any of these cards could you please also advise on
> any 'Top Performing' Drivers.
> I am using Windows XP Professional on the system,
>
> Thanking you in advance,
>
> Ben Nealon
>
> P.S - Do most recent-ish games not supprt the 3DFX Chipset anymore?

Acid_Rain
September 13th 03, 08:37 PM
he also just got duron so its not a killer gaming computer.... I think he
should stick with voodoo 4....

"Alan" > wrote in message
> > P.S - Do most recent-ish games not supprt the 3DFX Chipset anymore?
>

> no
> most recentish games also need hardware T&L the tnt2 u got there doesnt
> support that... neither does it have the power to play anything new... i
> dont know about the voodoo but i suspect neither games would be much good
> for playing newer games on now
>
> alan

Jan Vaughn
September 13th 03, 10:54 PM
No.. neither of those cards will support many of the latest games..

However, since you said it was a spare pc you put together, and you
dont want to buy another vid-card, I would
have to reccomend installing the Nvidia TNT2. No, its not great, but
Nvidia, has always worked best for me and will support games like
Quake3 and other. Do Not try to use a TNT2 will and "recent" games
such as UT:2003... it will not be pretty.

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 18:37:41 +0000, Biz wrote:

> GO spend $50 on a GF4MX series card for that machine. Neither of those
> cards will play most of the newer games.
> "Ben Nealon" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I have a computer that is of the following spec: Duron 700Mhz and
> 256mb
>> Pc133 Ram. The computer sadly only has a 2x AGP port. Now i have two
>> graphics cards:
>>
>> Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 AGP
>> 3DFX Voodoo4 4500 AGP
>>
>> I want the machine to be used for game playing (this computer is a spare
>> computer i have put together) Which of the above graphcis cards do you
> think
>> i shoudl use in the machine. I obviously want the best compatability with
>> good/latest games - and obviously the maximum performance i can push from
>> the system. If you have any of these cards could you please also advise on
>> any 'Top Performing' Drivers.
>> I am using Windows XP Professional on the system,
>>
>> Thanking you in advance,
>>
>> Ben Nealon
>>
>> P.S - Do most recent-ish games not supprt the 3DFX Chipset anymore?

Larry Roberts
September 14th 03, 12:53 AM
I had a TnT 2 M64, and it is not as powerful as the Voodoo 4.
The TnT 2 M64 has a crippled 64bit memory bus just like alot of the
FX5200 cards that are going around you hear everyone complaining
about. Neither card is going to perform well with recent, and newer
games. I'd recommend getting a Radion 9000, or a used GF3 Ti200 over
either of those cards, but if you don't want t get another videocard,
then I'd stick with the Voodoo 4. You also get the extra Glide support
that the TnT2 can't provide. That's always a plus. ;)

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 18:33:28 +0100, "Ben Nealon"
> wrote:

>Hi,
> I have a computer that is of the following spec: Duron 700Mhz and 256mb
>Pc133 Ram. The computer sadly only has a 2x AGP port. Now i have two
>graphics cards:
>
> Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 AGP
> 3DFX Voodoo4 4500 AGP
>
>I want the machine to be used for game playing (this computer is a spare
>computer i have put together) Which of the above graphcis cards do you think
>i shoudl use in the machine. I obviously want the best compatability with
>good/latest games - and obviously the maximum performance i can push from
>the system. If you have any of these cards could you please also advise on
>any 'Top Performing' Drivers.
> I am using Windows XP Professional on the system,
>
>Thanking you in advance,
>
>Ben Nealon
>
>P.S - Do most recent-ish games not supprt the 3DFX Chipset anymore?

Shonk
September 14th 03, 01:17 AM
the 3dfx is atleast twice as fast as the tnt 2 m64

"Ben Nealon" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a computer that is of the following spec: Duron 700Mhz and
256mb
> Pc133 Ram. The computer sadly only has a 2x AGP port. Now i have two
> graphics cards:
>
> Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 AGP
> 3DFX Voodoo4 4500 AGP
>
> I want the machine to be used for game playing (this computer is a spare
> computer i have put together) Which of the above graphcis cards do you
think
> i shoudl use in the machine. I obviously want the best compatability with
> good/latest games - and obviously the maximum performance i can push from
> the system. If you have any of these cards could you please also advise on
> any 'Top Performing' Drivers.
> I am using Windows XP Professional on the system,
>
> Thanking you in advance,
>
> Ben Nealon
>
> P.S - Do most recent-ish games not supprt the 3DFX Chipset anymore?

k y l e
September 14th 03, 12:14 PM
~what's wrong with having a Duron? I used to have an 800mhz Duron and it
worked fine for the latest games, it played titles such as UT2003 or GTA3
just fine.

"Acid_Rain" > wrote in message
> he also just got duron so its not a killer gaming computer.... I think he
> should stick with voodoo 4....
>

> "Alan" > wrote in message
> > > P.S - Do most recent-ish games not supprt the 3DFX Chipset anymore?
> >

> > no
> > most recentish games also need hardware T&L the tnt2 u got there doesnt
> > support that... neither does it have the power to play anything new... i
> > dont know about the voodoo but i suspect neither games would be much
good
> > for playing newer games on now
> >
> > alan

Ben Nealon
September 14th 03, 01:38 PM
thanks,
The help is appreciated. Just another question?

I have another machine that is an AMD Athlon 1.4Ghz that has a Nvidia
Gforce3 Ti200 (ASUS) in it. This machine runs great at the moment but i am
starting to notice it slipping in a few areas. Could anyone reccommend a
good graphics card to buy. I obviously dont want to pay about 200 to 300
but mayb about 100 - 150 etc...
A friend of mine has got an Geforce FX 5600! is that a good enough card
to get?

Thanking you in advance,

Ben Nealon

P.S - the machine onlys supports agp 4x, but i am hopefully looking at
upgrading to a 2ghz (mayb more) and 512mb ram with new mb that should
support AGP 8x

P.P.S - I heard a while ago about AGP Pro? what is this and is it about? is
AGP 8 better? or maybe a replacement?
"Shonk" > wrote in message
> the 3dfx is atleast twice as fast as the tnt 2 m64
>
> "Ben Nealon" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I have a computer that is of the following spec: Duron 700Mhz and
> 256mb
> > Pc133 Ram. The computer sadly only has a 2x AGP port. Now i have two
> > graphics cards:
> >
> > Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 AGP
> > 3DFX Voodoo4 4500 AGP
> >
> > I want the machine to be used for game playing (this computer is a spare
> > computer i have put together) Which of the above graphcis cards do you
> think
> > i shoudl use in the machine. I obviously want the best compatability
with
> > good/latest games - and obviously the maximum performance i can push
from
> > the system. If you have any of these cards could you please also advise
on
> > any 'Top Performing' Drivers.
> > I am using Windows XP Professional on the system,
> >
> > Thanking you in advance,
> >
> > Ben Nealon
> >
> > P.S - Do most recent-ish games not supprt the 3DFX Chipset anymore?

Larry Roberts
September 14th 03, 10:40 PM
That's what I would do.

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 13:35:46 -0500, lyon_wonder
> wrote:

>>I have another machine that is an AMD Athlon 1.4Ghz that has a Nvidia Gforce3 Ti200 (ASUS) in it.
>
>Get a new video card for the 1.4Ghz and put the Ti200 in your old
>Duron.

Ben Nealon
September 15th 03, 08:02 AM
thanxs guys,

But do you have any good reccommendations on a fast card. Obviously i dont
want to pay about 200 to 300 notes, but 100 - 150 is alright
i dont mind an ati card neigther. I just want a good games machine to play
the lieks of Hl 2, Counterstrike:Cz or even raven shield!,

Regards,
Ben
"Larry Roberts" > wrote in message
> That's what I would do.
>
> On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 13:35:46 -0500, lyon_wonder
> > wrote:
>

> >>I have another machine that is an AMD Athlon 1.4Ghz that has a Nvidia
Gforce3 Ti200 (ASUS) in it.

> >Get a new video card for the 1.4Ghz and put the Ti200 in your old
> >Duron.

mcheu
September 15th 03, 07:17 PM
On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 18:33:28 +0100, "Ben Nealon"
> wrote::

>Hi,
> I have a computer that is of the following spec: Duron 700Mhz and 256mb
>Pc133 Ram. The computer sadly only has a 2x AGP port. Now i have two
>graphics cards:
>
> Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 AGP
> 3DFX Voodoo4 4500 AGP
>
>I want the machine to be used for game playing (this computer is a spare
>computer i have put together) Which of the above graphcis cards do you think
>i shoudl use in the machine. I obviously want the best compatability with
>good/latest games - and obviously the maximum performance i can push from
>the system. If you have any of these cards could you please also advise on
>any 'Top Performing' Drivers.
> I am using Windows XP Professional on the system,
>
>Thanking you in advance,
>
>Ben Nealon

You're going to be disappointed. If you use that video card and that
processor, you won't be able to run today's games. I'd say you've put
together a perfectly good system for playing classic 3Dfx era games,
but it's going to be too fast to play older stuff and FAR too slow to
play newer stuff.

>P.S - Do most recent-ish games not supprt the 3DFX Chipset anymore?

Not officially. Nobody codes using GLide anymore (not since NVidia
bought 3Dfx out), so you'd be running in Direct3D or OpenGL if at all.

Also, it's been a while, so I can't be sure, but I think the last
Voodoo chipsets out the door didn't have support for Texture &
Lighting (T&L) effects. Many games that currently say "32MB video
card" as a requirement actually mean a video card with T&L capability,
and won't even run on a system with a card that doesn't support it.
There's an emulation driver available, but I don't have the URL and
it's reportedly slow (very x 10EXP10 slow). So slow in fact some have
actually thought the system had stalled but the game or demo was still
running.

Also, assuming for the moment that the game will even run on either of
those cards, you'll have to disable practically all of the effects.

All that gloominess aside, between the two, the Voodoo4 will be the
better performer. You'd be better served by getting a GeForce2MX400
with 32 or 64 megs, if you intend to run anything even remotely
recent. Still not a hotrod, but it's currently in the $30Canadian
range so it's pretty cheap, and it will do T&L -- perhaps most
importantly to you, it's a 2x/4x AGP part, so it should work in your
2x AGP slot.

The GeForce4MX boards in the 64meg range aren't much more expensive
than that right now and might be considerably faster than a GF2MX, but
I'm not sure about compatibility with 2x AGP. Some manufacturers
sites claim their GF4MX cards are 2x/4x, while others claim they're 4x
only.
Thanks,

MCheu