PDA

View Full Version : It is funny that... (AA&AF)

not me
September 13th 03, 02:23 PM
It is funny that everyone makes a big deal about running with full AA and AF
when most people won't run a game with it anyway.

I want the fastest framerates possible while playing Planetside online. The
faster it runs, the better chance I have of not dying. :)

The candy looks great when showing off my system, but when it comes to game
time...

September 13th 03, 02:42 PM
On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 09:23:10 -0400, "not me" > wrote:

>It is funny that everyone makes a big deal about running with full AA and AF
>when most people won't run a game with it anyway.

I don't run games without it.
Help make Usenet a better place:
Don't top post. Trim your messages to include only relevent text.

Martin Eriksson
September 13th 03, 02:50 PM
"not me" > wrote in message
> It is funny that everyone makes a big deal about running with full AA and
AF
> when most people won't run a game with it anyway.

Not full AA/AF, that would be stupid. I run with 2x AA and 2x AF... that's
good for me, and much better than default.

/M

ho alexandre
September 13th 03, 05:17 PM
not me wrote:
> It is funny that everyone makes a big deal about running with full AA and AF
> when most people won't run a game with it anyway.

AA and AF is usually defined by the application, though power users can
force it too.

> I want the fastest framerates possible while playing Planetside online. The
> faster it runs, the better chance I have of not dying. :)

faster than 30fps is useless for a human being, you need a lot of fps
just in case there's a brutal drop, but having 150fps instead of 70 is
really useless.
Anyway, your reflexes are the weak link. What can you do in 20ms ? :)

--
XandreX
/I'm that kind of people your parents warned you about/

September 13th 03, 05:20 PM
On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 18:17:58 +0200, ho alexandre
> wrote:

>faster than 30fps is useless for a human being

Get a clue before you go around spreading BS.
Help make Usenet a better place:
Don't top post. Trim your messages to include only relevent text.

not me
September 13th 03, 05:31 PM
"jaeger" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article >, says...
> > It is funny that everyone makes a big deal about running with full AA
and AF
> > when most people won't run a game with it anyway.
> >
> > I want the fastest framerates possible while playing Planetside online.
The
> > faster it runs, the better chance I have of not dying. :)
> >
> > The candy looks great when showing off my system, but when it comes to
game
> > time...
>
> I will never play another game without AA, unless I happen to get into a
> braindead shooter where I need to kill as many things as I can in as
> little time as possible. But for games like NWN, Dungeon Siege,
> Morrowind, NOLF2, Madden, etc. AA/AF are required.

True, but I only use 2xAA not 8x which is what everyone seems to be ranting
about.

Buy what you want and enjoy it. Why is there such a need to make everyone
buy what you have or agree with everything you say? (BTW, not talking about
anyone specifically, especially you ;)

ho alexandre
September 13th 03, 05:49 PM
[email protected] wrote:
>>faster than 30fps is useless for a human being
>
> Get a clue before you go around spreading BS.

I'm returning the answer to you ; and please stay polite with people on
Usenet. Cinematographic movies are played at 24fps (unless you only go
to Imax theatres, but I really doubt it).
[http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm]

--
XandreX
/I'm that kind of people your parents warned you about/

September 13th 03, 05:54 PM
On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 18:49:43 +0200, ho alexandre
> wrote:

>Cinematographic movies are played at 24fps

And I can often sense the individual frames, it gives me a headache
sometimes.

Next clueless example?
Help make Usenet a better place:
Don't top post. Trim your messages to include only relevent text.

ho alexandre
September 13th 03, 05:55 PM
not me wrote:
> True, but I only use 2xAA not 8x which is what everyone seems to be ranting
> about.

well, back 20 years ago, 16 colours were perfect. Just like some people
can detect if a compressed song was compressed with Lame, Frauhnofer or
OGG, some people may see the difference between FSAA4x and FSAA8x.

But I doubt it. I think all this has been perverted. The differences do
exist, that cannot be denied, but if you have to zoom-in 4 times on a
still image to see the difference, I think it's just a no-difference.
Has not anyone wondered why during reviews the journalists always have
to zoom-in on details to show that FSAA256x is (a bit) better than FSAA2x ?

--
XandreX
/I'm that kind of people your parents warned you about/

Mario Kadastik
September 13th 03, 08:55 PM
[email protected] wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 18:17:58 +0200, ho alexandre
> > wrote:
>

>>faster than 30fps is useless for a human being
>

> Get a clue before you go around spreading BS.

Well actually your eye runs at 24fps. So 30fps should be quite fine
alredy. Are you disturbed while you watch movies ? If not then how in
the hell can you survive 25fps (movies are in 99% encoded at 25fps)???
There might be that over 30 fps might make things more smooth and you
could detect that in the long turn but for normal actions 30fps should
be just fine.

Mario

September 13th 03, 09:02 PM
On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 22:55:52 +0300, Mario Kadastik
> wrote:

>Well actually your eye runs at 24fps.

Oh god, another n00b climbs out from under a rock. I am out of this
thread before I start getting really annoyed.
Help make Usenet a better place:
Don't top post. Trim your messages to include only relevent text.

Scott
September 13th 03, 09:39 PM
LOL, guess your wrong. ATI 9800 Pro here, set at 4x AA and 16x AF all =
the time.

"not me" > wrote in message =
> It is funny that everyone makes a big deal about running with full AA =
and AF
> when most people won't run a game with it anyway.
>=20
> I want the fastest framerates possible while playing Planetside =
online. The
> faster it runs, the better chance I have of not dying. :)
>=20
> The candy looks great when showing off my system, but when it comes to =
game
> time...
>=20
>=20

not me
September 13th 03, 11:48 PM
Huh? Wrong about what?

And why are you trolling a Nvidia newsgroup if you have an ATI? That's makes
as much sense as...well it doesn't make any sense.

news:[email protected]

"not me" > wrote in message
> It is funny that everyone makes a big deal about running with full AA and
AF
> when most people won't run a game with it anyway.
>
> I want the fastest framerates possible while playing Planetside online.
The
> faster it runs, the better chance I have of not dying. :)
>
> The candy looks great when showing off my system, but when it comes to
game
> time...

Spooky Fodder
September 14th 03, 12:12 AM
Dont let the door hit you on the way out.
P.S. Dont feed the trolls.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 22:55:52 +0300, Mario Kadastik
> > wrote:
>
> >Well actually your eye runs at 24fps.
>
> Oh god, another n00b climbs out from under a rock. I am out of this
> thread before I start getting really annoyed.
> --
> Andrew. To email unscramble & remove spamtrap.
> Help make Usenet a better place:
> Check groups.google.com before asking a question.
> Don't top post. Trim your messages to include only relevent text.

David Burns
September 14th 03, 03:03 AM
"not me" > wrote in message
> It is funny that everyone makes a big deal about running with full AA and
AF
> when most people won't run a game with it anyway.
>
> I want the fastest framerates possible while playing Planetside online.
The
> faster it runs, the better chance I have of not dying. :)
>
> The candy looks great when showing off my system, but when it comes to
game
> time...

What's even funnier is that when 3dfx first brought out AA, people all over
were ridiculing them, saying they were introducing features that weren't
needed, instead of being the speed king. Now, every card out there touts how
good their AA performance is, and a lot of gamers won't play without it.

Martin Eriksson
September 14th 03, 10:11 AM
"ho alexandre" > wrote in message
> [email protected] wrote:
> >>faster than 30fps is useless for a human being
> >
> > Get a clue before you go around spreading BS.
>
> I'm returning the answer to you ; and please stay polite with people on
> Usenet. Cinematographic movies are played at 24fps (unless you only go
> to Imax theatres, but I really doubt it).
> [http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm]

Please read some more into the subject. Some of the highlights:

* Computer games aren't movies

* See above

/M

Lenny
September 14th 03, 01:44 PM
> What's even funnier is that when 3dfx first brought out AA, people all
over
> were ridiculing them, saying they were introducing features that weren't
> needed

Some ignorant people probably ridiculed them for features not being needed,
but they were wrong. AA is definitely needed and is only going to become
MORE needed as time goes by. More polygons in games will lead to more
aliasing, hence more AA required.

Other people probably criticized 3dfx for placing such heavy emphasis on AA
when they didn't have the horsepower to maintain a decent screen update
speed. That's a more valid complaint. However today, graphics cards do have
that horsepower. Well, unless you bought a GFFX5200 that is... *cough*

I run with constant 2x quincunx AA and 4x AF on my GF3.

>Now, every card out there touts how
> good their AA performance is, and a lot of gamers won't play without it.

Times change man, and thankfully so! :)

Dark Avenger
September 15th 03, 12:19 AM
"David Burns" > wrote in message news:<w%[email protected]>...
> "not me" > wrote in message
> > It is funny that everyone makes a big deal about running with full AA and
> AF
> > when most people won't run a game with it anyway.
> >
> > I want the fastest framerates possible while playing Planetside online.
> The
> > faster it runs, the better chance I have of not dying. :)
> >
> > The candy looks great when showing off my system, but when it comes to
> game
> > time...
>
> What's even funnier is that when 3dfx first brought out AA, people all over
> were ridiculing them, saying they were introducing features that weren't
> needed, instead of being the speed king. Now, every card out there touts how
> good their AA performance is, and a lot of gamers won't play without it.

Well, I must say Quincunx makes my games look..nice and smooth. I can
play without but I rather play with :-)

Ravenshield though..heavy game...don't use AA in it..then again..don't
need AA there.