PDA

View Full Version : Slow loading application

Joseph Lee Jennings
September 10th 03, 04:30 AM
Hello,

I have been lurking in the newsgroup but i have hit a wall and wanted to =
run this by the experts. We have a form in our paradox 8 application =
that has 12 buttons with bitmaps and a section of the form is multab =
with 6 tabs that are user selected based on the button pressed. the =
problem i have run in to is we have been using a intel 850e motherboard =
with a nvidia gf2 video card and drivers. recently i switched our =
hardware to a 865perl motherboard. main differences between the builds =
is 850e board was rdram and a 533fsb cpu. the new board is ddr400 and =
800fsb. the old board had no problems with this form but the new =
hardware is having a hard time drawing the buttons and tabs. again this =
is this one form within our app.
has anyone found a similar problem and fixed it?

thanks to all who respond
Joe

Ron Merts
September 10th 03, 08:38 AM
Did you upgrade the CPU too, or are you still using the same CPU chip? If
you are using the original CPU then you really are only getting DDR266 or
maybe DDR333 speeds (320Mhz actually) so you are defeating the whole purpose
of the DDR400 and Dual-channel memory. Also, make certain your DIMMs are in
bank A and one in bank B (same position) or else you will be in
single-channel mode. If you have an "Intel board" going into the BIOS setup
will tell you what speed your memory is running and if you are in
dual-channel or single channel mode.

Ron

"Joseph Lee Jennings" > wrote in message
[...]

September 10th 03, 11:56 AM
Ron,

I went to the new p4 2.4 800fsb at the same time as for the memory i =
originally was only
installing 1 stick of ddr400 and did not realize 2 was needed until the =
other day. right now
the test machine has 2 256meg ddr400 and the bios shows us in dual mode =
as well as 800fsb=20
the new board configuation i also have the gf fx5200ef by albatron. i =
tried all the driver sets from=20
the latest back to 43.51 and it seemed to improve then after verifying =
it somewhat worked better
with 43.51 it just quit working and i am back at a slow loading form.
we ordered a ati and a matrox card for today as my developer thinks it =
might be a compatibility issue between nvidia cards and the intel =
865perl motherboard.

=20
"Ron Merts" > wrote in message =
> Did you upgrade the CPU too, or are you still using the same CPU chip? =
If
> you are using the original CPU then you really are only getting DDR266 =
or
> maybe DDR333 speeds (320Mhz actually) so you are defeating the whole =
purpose
> of the DDR400 and Dual-channel memory. Also, make certain your DIMMs =
are in
> bank A and one in bank B (same position) or else you will be in
> single-channel mode. If you have an "Intel board" going into the BIOS =
setup
> will tell you what speed your memory is running and if you are in
> dual-channel or single channel mode.
>=20
> Ron
>=20
> "Joseph Lee Jennings" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>=20
> I have been lurking in the newsgroup but i have hit a wall and wanted =
to run
> this by the experts. We have a form in our paradox 8 application that =
has 12
> buttons with bitmaps and a section of the form is multab with 6 tabs =
that
> are user selected based on the button pressed. the problem i have run =
in to
> is we have been using a intel 850e motherboard with a nvidia gf2 video =
card
> and drivers. recently i switched our hardware to a 865perl =
motherboard. main
> differences between the builds is 850e board was rdram and a 533fsb =
cpu. the
> new board is ddr400 and 800fsb. the old board had no problems with =
this form
> but the new hardware is having a hard time drawing the buttons and =
tabs.
> again this is this one form within our app.
> has anyone found a similar problem and fixed it?
>=20
> thanks to all who respond
> Joe
>=20

Ron Merts
September 12th 03, 09:05 AM
Maybe, but probably not. I've used an eVGA FX 5200 (128Mb, 128-bit
datapath) and an eVGA FX 5900 Ultra on a 865PERLK motherboard with no
problems. On your video card, does it had 4 or 8 memory chips? If you see
only 4 then that's probably your culprit as you most likely have a 64-bit
datapath version of the card - which equals REALLY slow performance video
wise.

"Ron Merts" > wrote in message
> Did you upgrade the CPU too, or are you still using the same CPU chip? If
> you are using the original CPU then you really are only getting DDR266 or
> maybe DDR333 speeds (320Mhz actually) so you are defeating the whole
purpose
> of the DDR400 and Dual-channel memory. Also, make certain your DIMMs are
in
> bank A and one in bank B (same position) or else you will be in
> single-channel mode. If you have an "Intel board" going into the BIOS
setup
> will tell you what speed your memory is running and if you are in
> dual-channel or single channel mode.
>
> Ron
>
> "Joseph Lee Jennings" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have been lurking in the newsgroup but i have hit a wall and wanted to
run
> this by the experts. We have a form in our paradox 8 application that has
12
> buttons with bitmaps and a section of the form is multab with 6 tabs that
> are user selected based on the button pressed. the problem i have run in
> is we have been using a intel 850e motherboard with a nvidia gf2 video
card
> and drivers. recently i switched our hardware to a 865perl motherboard.
main
> differences between the builds is 850e board was rdram and a 533fsb cpu.
the
> new board is ddr400 and 800fsb. the old board had no problems with this
form
> but the new hardware is having a hard time drawing the buttons and tabs.
> again this is this one form within our app.
> has anyone found a similar problem and fixed it?
>
> thanks to all who respond
> Joe

Joseph Lee Jennings
September 14th 03, 10:29 AM
Ron,

I checked the card and it is the albatron fx5200ep and it is the 64bit =
version.=20
One question would be why the mem bus would cause us not to be able to =
load a form with about a dozen bitmaps into system ram then to video. =
unless the 64bit bottlenecks when system ram tries to push it to video =
ram. this would be a design flaw in the video card subsystem i would =
think?

the older parts we used on the old motherboard was the abit gf2mx400 =
then the albatron gf2 mx400 but i will have to try and find out the =
exact part numbers as both mfg had 64bit and 128 bit versions of these =
cards as well.

unless it is the new 8xagp bus thinking it is faster than it is hence =
causing a bottleneck.=20

Joe