PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my g4 ti4400 128 meg card...

Chris Roth
September 7th 03, 09:01 PM
Right now the FX 5900 and the radeon 9800 256 meg versions are VERY
expensive..600+ dollars canadian! I would really enjoy one of these cards
but I am going to wait until christmas. Do you think these cards will lower
in price by then? Im hoping it will be more like 400 canadain... do you
think thats possible? Thnx :)

Hamman
September 7th 03, 09:30 PM
"Chris Roth" > wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
> Right now the FX 5900 and the radeon 9800 256 meg versions are VERY
> expensive..600+ dollars canadian! I would really enjoy one of these cards
> but I am going to wait until christmas. Do you think these cards will
lower
> in price by then? Im hoping it will be more like 400 canadain... do you
> think thats possible? Thnx :)

Before you waste your money, you should ask yourself why youre upgrading.

The GF4 ti series is a very good series of cards, all you would be spending
your money on is full DX9 shader support, which really isnt worth that
amount of money.

I have a GF4 MX400 and am happy with that, the ti4400 is plenty fast enough.

I would save my money untill there is a real need to upgrade

dstep
September 8th 03, 06:59 AM
On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 20:01:11 GMT, "Chris Roth" >
wrote:

>Right now the FX 5900 and the radeon 9800 256 meg versions are VERY
>expensive..600+ dollars canadian! I would really enjoy one of these cards
>but I am going to wait until christmas. Do you think these cards will lower
>in price by then? Im hoping it will be more like 400 canadain... do you
>think thats possible? Thnx :)

I just was at best buy and saw an asylum FX 5900, with 128 meg of ram
for $299 USA. So that is 300 bucks. The 256 meg one is about 100 bucks
more in the states. I'm really not sure if it is worth it though. In
normal use you won't really be using the 256 meg of ram.
Both cards would benchmark pretty much the same in current benchmarks.

The 128 meg fx 5900 is going to be quite a bit better than your g4 ti
4400. I have the ti 4200. Really these cards are good enough for
today, so you might want to wait a while anyway. The sucky thing is in
6 months nvidia will have out a better version of the FX 5900 or
perhaps something totally new. I can't keep up with processor and
graphics cards upgrades anymore, the power just doubles so fast.

dstephenatcoxdotnet
( using the @ and . for email, while adding a 4
before the @)

Chris Roth
September 8th 03, 01:03 PM
hmmm.... so maybe i should wait til April??(My Birthday)
"dstep" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 20:01:11 GMT, "Chris Roth" >
> wrote:
>
> >Right now the FX 5900 and the radeon 9800 256 meg versions are VERY
> >expensive..600+ dollars canadian! I would really enjoy one of these cards
> >but I am going to wait until christmas. Do you think these cards will
lower
> >in price by then? Im hoping it will be more like 400 canadain... do you
> >think thats possible? Thnx :)
> >

> I just was at best buy and saw an asylum FX 5900, with 128 meg of ram
> for $299 USA. So that is 300 bucks. The 256 meg one is about 100 bucks
> more in the states. I'm really not sure if it is worth it though. In
> normal use you won't really be using the 256 meg of ram.
> Both cards would benchmark pretty much the same in current benchmarks.
>
> The 128 meg fx 5900 is going to be quite a bit better than your g4 ti
> 4400. I have the ti 4200. Really these cards are good enough for
> today, so you might want to wait a while anyway. The sucky thing is in
> 6 months nvidia will have out a better version of the FX 5900 or
> perhaps something totally new. I can't keep up with processor and
> graphics cards upgrades anymore, the power just doubles so fast.
>
> dstephenatcoxdotnet
> ( using the @ and . for email, while adding a 4
> before the @)

NAZGUL
September 8th 03, 02:36 PM
The thing is at the end of the day you can wait till you are blue in the
face as there is always going to be a new card around the corner or just
come out and as for not getting one because of the G4 series well anyone who
has played a modern game on a 5900 and then seen it running on a MX card
wont ever look twice at the MX but wont take there eyes off the 5900

--
CLAN JAGUAR