PDA

View Full Version : I'm now an ATI convert

T1000
September 6th 03, 11:14 AM
Just wanted to drop the ATI newsgroup a line to say HI.

After 5 years with Nvidia cards I have made the switch to ATI, namely a
Powercolor Radeon 9800pro 128meg. This card is by far the most exceptionally
stable, well rounded and best performing graphics card I have ever owned.

Not only is in benching far higher than the fx5900 I was playing around with
originally.. notwithstanding benchmarks the real world performance is head
and sholders above anything in the Nvidia camp I have used. The framerates
are constant, rapid movement in 3d games is sikly smooth, and I can, for the
first time, throw my old gaming res up from 1024x768 to 1280x1024 and then
on top of that, throw AA and AF and all the other eye candy into the mix and
still get exceptional gaming.

I look at these 5900s... with their monster cooling solutions (even the
single slot cooling designs are ludicrous), cores running at 84c... loud
fans, huge size etc.. then I look at my simple, elegant and reasonably sized
ATI card with a single fan and a modest heatsink and wonder why I waited so
damn long to make the switch.

The catalyst drivers were always to my mind a bit flaky... but since the
release of Cat 3.X I've noticed that the drivers are rock solid and offer
everything a gamer could possibly need. The drivers I'm using with the
9800pro (Cat 3.6) are rock solid.

I upgraded my entire system during my Vid card upgrade.. and with the fx5900
in it I was wondering if I had faulty Ram, mobo etc coz during heavy
benchmarking and burn-in I was indeed getting random crashes from time to
time. With the ATI installed I have run 3dmark 2001 for 8 hours straight..
and apart from a quite warm ambient case temp after the testing, there was
not a single hiccup.

Looking forward to spending some more time around here over the coming
months.

To any others resisting the switch to ATI so frequently spouted at various
sites, magazines etc... BELIEVE ME.. IT'S TRUE.. ATI OFFER A BETTER
SOLUTION.

Cheers,

T1000

GuitarMan
September 6th 03, 11:16 AM
"T1000" > wrote in message
> Just wanted to drop the ATI newsgroup a line to say HI.
>
> After 5 years with Nvidia cards I have made the switch to ATI, namely a
> Powercolor Radeon 9800pro 128meg. This card is by far the most
exceptionally
> stable, well rounded and best performing graphics card I have ever owned.

I'm happy for you...now that you switched to ATI, you can drop the NVidia NG
and quit cross-posting?

k y l e
September 6th 03, 11:58 AM
"GuitarMan" > wrote in message
> "T1000" > wrote in message
> > Just wanted to drop the ATI newsgroup a line to say HI.
> >
> > After 5 years with Nvidia cards I have made the switch to ATI, namely a
> > Powercolor Radeon 9800pro 128meg. This card is by far the most
> exceptionally
> > stable, well rounded and best performing graphics card I have ever
owned.

> I'm happy for you...now that you switched to ATI, you can drop the NVidia
NG
> and quit cross-posting?

Oooooh someone sounds a little ratty :-P

F r e e
September 6th 03, 04:07 PM
> I upgraded my entire system during my Vid card upgrade..

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, so this is a realy 'cientific' comparison....!
Man, so much word wasting and then you say this....

Free

Wayne Youngman
September 6th 03, 05:08 PM
"T1000" wrote in
> Just wanted to drop the ATI newsgroup a line to say HI.
>
> After 5 years with Nvidia cards I have made the switch to ATI, namely a
> Powercolor Radeon 9800pro 128meg. This card is by far the most
exceptionally
> stable, well rounded and best performing graphics card I have ever owned.

Hi,
yes dude, I am in agreement with you. I too am coming from being a long
term nVidia GPU user, and yes it certainly is an *EYE-OPENER* seeing what a
9800 can do. Somehow it made my monitor work better/clearer in 2D also :P.
Still didn't test any DVD's/DivX yet but I'm sure it will rock . .

Did you have a butchers at these things:

ATI Developer Demos
http://www.ati.com/developer/demos.html

Wayne ][

Ed Forsythe
September 6th 03, 05:27 PM
Hi T,
Glad you're happy. I was a Matrox fan for years but when they abandoned the
3D market I had to switch. After much research (ATI vs. nVidia) I decided
on ATI. Bought a 9500 Pro and haven't looked back. Matrox has always been
famous for their 2D stuff and beautiful display but I think that, at this
point, ATI is at least as good and of course light years ahead of Matrox in
3D. I think I'll stick with the 9500 Pro when I build my new box this
fall/winter and I'll upgrade when the ATI 10000 Pro is available ;-)
--
Happy Flying,
Ed F.

"T1000" > wrote in message
> Just wanted to drop the ATI newsgroup a line to say HI.
>
> After 5 years with Nvidia cards I have made the switch to ATI, namely a
> Powercolor Radeon 9800pro 128meg. This card is by far the most
exceptionally
> stable, well rounded and best performing graphics card I have ever owned.
>
> Not only is in benching far higher than the fx5900 I was playing around
with
> originally.. notwithstanding benchmarks the real world performance is head
> and sholders above anything in the Nvidia camp I have used. The framerates
> are constant, rapid movement in 3d games is sikly smooth, and I can, for
the
> first time, throw my old gaming res up from 1024x768 to 1280x1024 and then
> on top of that, throw AA and AF and all the other eye candy into the mix
and
> still get exceptional gaming.
>
> I look at these 5900s... with their monster cooling solutions (even the
> single slot cooling designs are ludicrous), cores running at 84c... loud
> fans, huge size etc.. then I look at my simple, elegant and reasonably
sized
> ATI card with a single fan and a modest heatsink and wonder why I waited
so
> damn long to make the switch.
>
> The catalyst drivers were always to my mind a bit flaky... but since the
> release of Cat 3.X I've noticed that the drivers are rock solid and offer
> everything a gamer could possibly need. The drivers I'm using with the
> 9800pro (Cat 3.6) are rock solid.
>
> I upgraded my entire system during my Vid card upgrade.. and with the
fx5900
> in it I was wondering if I had faulty Ram, mobo etc coz during heavy
> benchmarking and burn-in I was indeed getting random crashes from time to
> time. With the ATI installed I have run 3dmark 2001 for 8 hours straight..
> and apart from a quite warm ambient case temp after the testing, there was
> not a single hiccup.
>
> Looking forward to spending some more time around here over the coming
> months.
>
> To any others resisting the switch to ATI so frequently spouted at various
> sites, magazines etc... BELIEVE ME.. IT'S TRUE.. ATI OFFER A BETTER
> SOLUTION.
>

> Cheers,
>
> T1000

Lester Piglet
September 6th 03, 07:01 PM
Hi, me too. I was a solid Sparkle 4mb user and I upgraded to a Rage Fury
Maxx, no more sparkles for me. ;)

--
Lester Piglet
"Ed Forsythe" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > 9800pro (Cat 3.6) are rock solid.
> >
> > I upgraded my entire system during my Vid card upgrade.. and with the
> fx5900
> > in it I was wondering if I had faulty Ram, mobo etc coz during heavy
> > benchmarking and burn-in I was indeed getting random crashes from time
> > time. With the ATI installed I have run 3dmark 2001 for 8 hours
straight..
> > and apart from a quite warm ambient case temp after the testing, there
was
> > not a single hiccup.
> >
> > Looking forward to spending some more time around here over the coming
> > months.
> >
> > To any others resisting the switch to ATI so frequently spouted at
various
> > sites, magazines etc... BELIEVE ME.. IT'S TRUE.. ATI OFFER A BETTER

neopolaris
September 6th 03, 07:50 PM
Woopie-it's a video card
"T1000" > wrote in message
> Just wanted to drop the ATI newsgroup a line to say HI.
>
> After 5 years with Nvidia cards I have made the switch to ATI, namely a
> Powercolor Radeon 9800pro 128meg. This card is by far the most
exceptionally
> stable, well rounded and best performing graphics card I have ever owned.
>
> Not only is in benching far higher than the fx5900 I was playing around
with
> originally.. notwithstanding benchmarks the real world performance is head
> and sholders above anything in the Nvidia camp I have used. The framerates
> are constant, rapid movement in 3d games is sikly smooth, and I can, for
the
> first time, throw my old gaming res up from 1024x768 to 1280x1024 and then
> on top of that, throw AA and AF and all the other eye candy into the mix
and
> still get exceptional gaming.
>
> I look at these 5900s... with their monster cooling solutions (even the
> single slot cooling designs are ludicrous), cores running at 84c... loud
> fans, huge size etc.. then I look at my simple, elegant and reasonably
sized
> ATI card with a single fan and a modest heatsink and wonder why I waited
so
> damn long to make the switch.
>
> The catalyst drivers were always to my mind a bit flaky... but since the
> release of Cat 3.X I've noticed that the drivers are rock solid and offer
> everything a gamer could possibly need. The drivers I'm using with the
> 9800pro (Cat 3.6) are rock solid.
>
> I upgraded my entire system during my Vid card upgrade.. and with the
fx5900
> in it I was wondering if I had faulty Ram, mobo etc coz during heavy
> benchmarking and burn-in I was indeed getting random crashes from time to
> time. With the ATI installed I have run 3dmark 2001 for 8 hours straight..
> and apart from a quite warm ambient case temp after the testing, there was
> not a single hiccup.
>
> Looking forward to spending some more time around here over the coming
> months.
>
> To any others resisting the switch to ATI so frequently spouted at various
> sites, magazines etc... BELIEVE ME.. IT'S TRUE.. ATI OFFER A BETTER
> SOLUTION.
>

> Cheers,
>
> T1000

Anybody
September 7th 03, 12:33 AM
*yawn*
"T1000" > wrote in message
> Just wanted to drop the ATI newsgroup a line to say HI.
>
> After 5 years with Nvidia cards I have made the switch to ATI, namely a
> Powercolor Radeon 9800pro 128meg. This card is by far the most
exceptionally
> stable, well rounded and best performing graphics card I have ever owned.
>
> Not only is in benching far higher than the fx5900 I was playing around
with
> originally.. notwithstanding benchmarks the real world performance is head
> and sholders above anything in the Nvidia camp I have used. The framerates
> are constant, rapid movement in 3d games is sikly smooth, and I can, for
the
> first time, throw my old gaming res up from 1024x768 to 1280x1024 and then
> on top of that, throw AA and AF and all the other eye candy into the mix
and
> still get exceptional gaming.
>
> I look at these 5900s... with their monster cooling solutions (even the
> single slot cooling designs are ludicrous), cores running at 84c... loud
> fans, huge size etc.. then I look at my simple, elegant and reasonably
sized
> ATI card with a single fan and a modest heatsink and wonder why I waited
so
> damn long to make the switch.
>
> The catalyst drivers were always to my mind a bit flaky... but since the
> release of Cat 3.X I've noticed that the drivers are rock solid and offer
> everything a gamer could possibly need. The drivers I'm using with the
> 9800pro (Cat 3.6) are rock solid.
>
> I upgraded my entire system during my Vid card upgrade.. and with the
fx5900
> in it I was wondering if I had faulty Ram, mobo etc coz during heavy
> benchmarking and burn-in I was indeed getting random crashes from time to
> time. With the ATI installed I have run 3dmark 2001 for 8 hours straight..
> and apart from a quite warm ambient case temp after the testing, there was
> not a single hiccup.
>
> Looking forward to spending some more time around here over the coming
> months.
>
> To any others resisting the switch to ATI so frequently spouted at various
> sites, magazines etc... BELIEVE ME.. IT'S TRUE.. ATI OFFER A BETTER
> SOLUTION.
>

> Cheers,
>
> T1000

McGrandpa
September 7th 03, 01:04 AM
"T1000" > wrote in message

> Just wanted to drop the ATI newsgroup a line to say HI.
>
> After 5 years with Nvidia cards I have made the switch to ATI, namely
> a Powercolor Radeon 9800pro 128meg. This card is by far the most
> exceptionally stable, well rounded and best performing graphics card
> I have ever owned.
>
> Not only is in benching far higher than the fx5900 I was playing
> around with originally.. notwithstanding benchmarks the real world
> performance is head and sholders above anything in the Nvidia camp I
> have used. The framerates are constant, rapid movement in 3d games is
> sikly smooth, and I can, for the first time, throw my old gaming res
> up from 1024x768 to 1280x1024 and then on top of that, throw AA and
> AF and all the other eye candy into the mix and still get exceptional
> gaming.
>
> I look at these 5900s... with their monster cooling solutions (even
> the single slot cooling designs are ludicrous), cores running at
> 84c... loud fans, huge size etc.. then I look at my simple, elegant
> and reasonably sized ATI card with a single fan and a modest heatsink
> and wonder why I waited so damn long to make the switch.

Hey T, I own both ATI (all made by ATI) and Nvidia (1 Asus, 2 PNY, 2
Creative Labs). I can tell ya now that the PNY cards are pretty much
pure reference boards, and my FX5900 isn't anything like you say yours
is. What brand and model is it?
The next vid card on my list to get isn't even on the shelves around
here (Houston). The stores can't get either ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256 meg
cards or FX 5900 Ultra 256 meg cards. The stores say they have em in
stock (some of the stores do) and when I get there, they are 128 meg
cards.

The ATI cards, as fas as I can see right now are all .15m die and the
FX5900's are .13m die. They seem to run about the same temp too. Both
have variable fan speeds. And the FX5900 has a very nice and quiet
radial fin fan with open heat sink. It's very nice actually.

I want to skip the FX 5900 Ultra 256 and get a 9800Pro 256 for myself.
Both seem to retail for $499 US.

But I'd rather see the ATI board in .13m die.

And I haven't had any problems running either ATI or Nvidia cards on my
systems....so far. You may well have had a card with flakey ram.
McG.

> The catalyst drivers were always to my mind a bit flaky... but since
> the release of Cat 3.X I've noticed that the drivers are rock solid
> and offer everything a gamer could possibly need. The drivers I'm
> using with the 9800pro (Cat 3.6) are rock solid.
>
> I upgraded my entire system during my Vid card upgrade.. and with the
> fx5900 in it I was wondering if I had faulty Ram, mobo etc coz during
> heavy benchmarking and burn-in I was indeed getting random crashes
> from time to time. With the ATI installed I have run 3dmark 2001 for
> 8 hours straight.. and apart from a quite warm ambient case temp
> after the testing, there was not a single hiccup.
>
> Looking forward to spending some more time around here over the coming
> months.
>
> To any others resisting the switch to ATI so frequently spouted at
> various sites, magazines etc... BELIEVE ME.. IT'S TRUE.. ATI OFFER A
> BETTER SOLUTION.
>

> Cheers,
>
> T1000

Ron Merts
September 7th 03, 10:20 AM
You upgraded the entire system and then believe that your improvement in
performance is wholly due to a new video card? You probably would have
gotten even better results had you upgraded everything else and kept your FX
5900. The only reason you're not crashing so much is you ditched that old,
under-powered PSU. What did you upgrade from a Pentium III with PC-133
memory to a Pentium 4 with HyperThreading and Dual-Channel DDR400 memory?

Ron

"T1000" > wrote in message
> Just wanted to drop the ATI newsgroup a line to say HI.
>
> After 5 years with Nvidia cards I have made the switch to ATI, namely a
> Powercolor Radeon 9800pro 128meg. This card is by far the most
exceptionally
> stable, well rounded and best performing graphics card I have ever owned.
>
> Not only is in benching far higher than the fx5900 I was playing around
with
> originally.. notwithstanding benchmarks the real world performance is head
> and sholders above anything in the Nvidia camp I have used. The framerates
> are constant, rapid movement in 3d games is sikly smooth, and I can, for
the
> first time, throw my old gaming res up from 1024x768 to 1280x1024 and then
> on top of that, throw AA and AF and all the other eye candy into the mix
and
> still get exceptional gaming.
>
> I look at these 5900s... with their monster cooling solutions (even the
> single slot cooling designs are ludicrous), cores running at 84c... loud
> fans, huge size etc.. then I look at my simple, elegant and reasonably
sized
> ATI card with a single fan and a modest heatsink and wonder why I waited
so
> damn long to make the switch.
>
> The catalyst drivers were always to my mind a bit flaky... but since the
> release of Cat 3.X I've noticed that the drivers are rock solid and offer
> everything a gamer could possibly need. The drivers I'm using with the
> 9800pro (Cat 3.6) are rock solid.
>
> I upgraded my entire system during my Vid card upgrade.. and with the
fx5900
> in it I was wondering if I had faulty Ram, mobo etc coz during heavy
> benchmarking and burn-in I was indeed getting random crashes from time to
> time. With the ATI installed I have run 3dmark 2001 for 8 hours straight..
> and apart from a quite warm ambient case temp after the testing, there was
> not a single hiccup.
>
> Looking forward to spending some more time around here over the coming
> months.
>
> To any others resisting the switch to ATI so frequently spouted at various
> sites, magazines etc... BELIEVE ME.. IT'S TRUE.. ATI OFFER A BETTER
> SOLUTION.
>

> Cheers,
>
> T1000

Diavire
September 8th 03, 06:07 AM
Read

"> I upgraded my entire system during my Vid card upgrade.. and with the
fx5900
> in it I was wondering if I had faulty Ram, mobo etc coz during heavy
> benchmarking and burn-in I was indeed getting random crashes from time to
> time."

"And With The FX5900 In It"
I take it "IT" is the upgraded system, what the heavy benchmarking and
burn-in indicates as well

duh.

--
-DmD-
[w00t2]Proxivire

"Ron Merts" > wrote in message
.. .
> You upgraded the entire system and then believe that your improvement in
> performance is wholly due to a new video card? You probably would have
> gotten even better results had you upgraded everything else and kept your
FX
> 5900. The only reason you're not crashing so much is you ditched that
old,
> under-powered PSU. What did you upgrade from a Pentium III with PC-133
> memory to a Pentium 4 with HyperThreading and Dual-Channel DDR400 memory?
>
> Ron

Diavire
September 8th 03, 06:07 AM
Read

"F r e e" > wrote in message

> I upgraded my entire system during my Vid card upgrade..

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, so this is a realy 'cientific' comparison....!
Man, so much word wasting and then you say this....

Free

Diavire
September 8th 03, 06:08 AM
exactly what this newsgroup is about, no?
so why read the group if you're tired of hearing about videocards

--

"neopolaris" <.> wrote in message ...
> Woopie-it's a video card

ginfest
September 8th 03, 04:25 PM
I also have both and the diff are not as clear-cut as the OP makes out.
Perhaps trying to "justify" his choice or gain-favor with his "new friends"
by "tweaking" NV owners?
I mainly plain IL2:FB, HH2K4, Madden2K4 and BF1942 and actually prefer the
5900/45.23 drvs over the 9800/Cat 3.7.
Of course if "real" DX9 games suddenly flood the market and perf is lacking
with the 5900, I'll just swap-in the 9800 although I expect to move up to
the next-gen to really enjoy those titles.

Mike G

"Ron Merts" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]
> > 9800pro (Cat 3.6) are rock solid.
> >
> > I upgraded my entire system during my Vid card upgrade.. and with the
> fx5900
> > in it I was wondering if I had faulty Ram, mobo etc coz during heavy
> > benchmarking and burn-in I was indeed getting random crashes from time
> > time. With the ATI installed I have run 3dmark 2001 for 8 hours
straight..
> > and apart from a quite warm ambient case temp after the testing, there
was
> > not a single hiccup.
> >
> > Looking forward to spending some more time around here over the coming
> > months.
> >
> > To any others resisting the switch to ATI so frequently spouted at
various
> > sites, magazines etc... BELIEVE ME.. IT'S TRUE.. ATI OFFER A BETTER

---

YanquiDawg
September 9th 03, 08:49 PM
Go **** in your hat.