PDA

View Full Version : Re: Good offer on FX5600 Ultra?

The Robot
August 20th 03, 06:56 PM
Is this just a scam for us to get all those pop-up ads on your home page?

"Paul Moloney" > wrote in message
> I've just seen a local (Irish) company offer the
> following for EUR 160 (approximately US$177):
>
> Gainward PowerPack Ultra/780TV/DVI
> GeForce FX5600 graphics cards, 256 MB memory, TV-out and DVI
>
> This seems too good to be true - is it?
>
> P.
> Paul Moloney, Technical Writer
> http://www.paulmoloney.org Remove the obvious bit to email

Derek Wildstar
August 20th 03, 07:35 PM
"The Robot" > wrote in message

> Is this just a scam for us to get all those pop-up ads on your home page?

Why aren't you using a pop up blocker? Even google is giving one away for
'free'.

The Robot
August 20th 03, 08:12 PM
I do run it, but held down CTRL because the site wouldn't run.

See what I mean about a scam?

Was only joking really, but a home page that has no content and just gives
you three pop ups?

Sheesh.

"Derek Wildstar" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "The Robot" > wrote in message
>
> > Is this just a scam for us to get all those pop-up ads on your home
page?

> Why aren't you using a pop up blocker? Even google is giving one away for
> 'free'.

The Robot
August 20th 03, 11:00 PM
Twas meant in a light hearted way, since someone's mouse seems to have been
taken over to such an extent as to create a site with nothing but pop-up

Richard Dower
August 20th 03, 11:22 PM
"Paul Moloney" > wrote in message
> I've just seen a local (Irish) company offer the
> following for EUR 160 (approximately US$177):
>
> Gainward PowerPack Ultra/780TV/DVI
> GeForce FX5600 graphics cards, 256 MB memory, TV-out and DVI
>
> This seems too good to be true - is it?

How much does Ireland suck for getting computer parts?, and we pay through
the nose for parts also. Way above other countries.

Lemme know if that deal is legit also, i might be interested in seeing what
else that company has.

Dragon
August 20th 03, 11:27 PM
"Paul Moloney" > wrote in message
> "The Robot" > writes:
>
> >Is this just a scam for us to get all those pop-up ads on your home page?
>
> Wow, it's an amazing scam. I didn't realise
> my posting took control of your cursor, made you
> copy and paste the URL that's in _all_ my postings
> into your browser, and make you view the page. It's
> truly amazing, the kinds of trojan horses you can
> insert into plaintext messages these days. I
> am truly in awe of your ability to sniff
> out us international mass-marketeers. I
> will stick to sending out Nigerian scam mails
> in future.
>
> Now that's I've dealt with Mr. Paranoia,
> if there's anyone out there who can add
> anything concrete (whether that Gainward card
> is a piece of ****, for instance, or not
> actually an Ultra), please let me know.
>
> P.

> Paul Moloney, Technical Writer
> http://www.paulmoloney.org Remove the obvious bit to email

Please see http://www.guru3d.com/article.php?cat=Videocards&id=54 for an
explanation of what Gainward means by "Ultra".

---

Paul Moloney
August 21st 03, 12:34 AM
"Dragon" > writes:

>Please see http://www.guru3d.com/article.php?cat=Videocards&id=54 for an
>explanation of what Gainward means by "Ultra".

Thanks; I'd almost consider it false
advertising on Gainward's part to
be using the term "Ultra" in such a way.

P.

Paul Moloney, Technical Writer
http://www.paulmoloney.org Remove the obvious bit to email

Dragon
August 21st 03, 11:56 PM
"Paul Moloney" > wrote in message
> "Dragon" > writes:
>
> >Please see http://www.guru3d.com/article.php?cat=Videocards&id=54 for an
> >explanation of what Gainward means by "Ultra".
>
> Thanks; I'd almost consider it false
> advertising on Gainward's part to
> be using the term "Ultra" in such a way.
>
> P.

I get the feeling that Gainward was using the "Ultra" as a series
designation a long time ago.May fall under a "Grandfather" clause sort of
thing. Do wish they would change it now though.

---