PDA

View Full Version : Geforce 2Ti vs Fx 5200 - any idea ?

CéhèS
August 20th 03, 06:42 PM
Hi there, here's the story :

I have a Geforce 2Ti (high end of its time) on a athlon 1.3Ghz with 384 Mo
and AGP 4x.

I can have a MSI Geforce Fx5200 128 DDR (low end of fx !) to be changed with
my 2Ti (and no more money ! to long to explain...)

Is this a good idea, i heard so much thing about the fx : not a finished
card, not very powerful, hard to program so game won't use it good, and so
on...

Any comment ?

Thanks a lot...

mike
August 21st 03, 03:24 AM
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:42:22 +0200, "CéhèS" > wrote:

>Hi there, here's the story :
>
>I have a Geforce 2Ti (high end of its time) on a athlon 1.3Ghz with 384 Mo
>and AGP 4x.
>
>I can have a MSI Geforce Fx5200 128 DDR (low end of fx !) to be changed with
>my 2Ti (and no more money ! to long to explain...)
>
>Is this a good idea, i heard so much thing about the fx : not a finished
>card, not very powerful, hard to program so game won't use it good, and so
>on...
>
>Any comment ?
>
>Thanks a lot...

I'm not familiar with the Geforce 2Ti but I bought a FX5200 128Mb
(128-bit DDR and make sure the one you get is 128-bit as well) to
replace my old GeForce3 Ti200, it was marginally faster than the 200.

Helion
August 21st 03, 04:02 AM
Keep in mind that the FX5200 is basically a replacement for the MX series
with DX9 capabilities. IE predecessor is the GF4/MX440 and the GF2/MX
before that. If you have a GFx TI now, I would settle for no less than a
GF4/TI 4x00 or FX 5600+ for any noticeable gains.

"mike" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:42:22 +0200, "CéhèS" > wrote:
>

> >Hi there, here's the story :
> >
> >I have a Geforce 2Ti (high end of its time) on a athlon 1.3Ghz with 384
Mo
> >and AGP 4x.
> >
> >I can have a MSI Geforce Fx5200 128 DDR (low end of fx !) to be changed
with
> >my 2Ti (and no more money ! to long to explain...)
> >
> >Is this a good idea, i heard so much thing about the fx : not a finished
> >card, not very powerful, hard to program so game won't use it good, and
so
> >on...
> >
> >Any comment ?
> >
> >Thanks a lot...
> >

> I'm not familiar with the Geforce 2Ti but I bought a FX5200 128Mb
> (128-bit DDR and make sure the one you get is 128-bit as well) to
> replace my old GeForce3 Ti200, it was marginally faster than the 200.

CéhèS
August 21st 03, 09:21 AM

> I'm not familiar with the Geforce 2Ti but I bought a FX5200 128Mb
> (128-bit DDR and make sure the one you get is 128-bit as well) to
> replace my old GeForce3 Ti200, it was marginally faster than the 200.

Tx,

this is a 128, no problem...

My 2Ti is quite less faster than the TI200 then i'll se a difference ! cool
!

What does "marginally" means in english ? a little bit or a lot ?

regards

CéhèS
August 21st 03, 09:23 AM
> Keep in mind that the FX5200 is basically a replacement for the MX series
> with DX9 capabilities. IE predecessor is the GF4/MX440 and the GF2/MX
> before that. If you have a GFx TI now, I would settle for no less than a
> GF4/TI 4x00 or FX 5600+ for any noticeable gains.

I don't like MX familly :-(

The thing is that a can have it for quite nothing, then this nis worth no ?

Tx a lot.

Shep©
August 21st 03, 07:57 PM
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:42:22 +0200, In this world we created "CéhèS"
> wrote :

>Hi there, here's the story :
>
>I have a Geforce 2Ti (high end of its time) on a athlon 1.3Ghz with 384 Mo
>and AGP 4x.
>
>I can have a MSI Geforce Fx5200 128 DDR (low end of fx !) to be changed with
>my 2Ti (and no more money ! to long to explain...)
>
>Is this a good idea, i heard so much thing about the fx : not a finished
>card, not very powerful, hard to program so game won't use it good, and so
>on...
>
>Any comment ?
>
>Thanks a lot...

I'd stick with what you have until the next line of Nvidia cards.
My 0.2
HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,

Mario Kadastik
August 21st 03, 08:12 PM
CéhèS wrote:

>>I'm not familiar with the Geforce 2Ti but I bought a FX5200 128Mb
>>(128-bit DDR and make sure the one you get is 128-bit as well) to
>>replace my old GeForce3 Ti200, it was marginally faster than the 200.
>

> Tx,
>
> this is a 128, no problem...
>
> My 2Ti is quite less faster than the TI200 then i'll se a difference ! cool
> !
>
> What does "marginally" means in english ? a little bit or a lot ?
>
> regards

It means a little bit, but the FX5200 should be a bit faster than
GF3Ti200 and hence should be significantly faster than your GF2Ti.

What you have heard is not all true. The card isn't that bad actually.
it's not fast enough to play real DX9 games, but it's fast enough to
compete with GF4 Ti 4200 in DX8 games (approx the same speed). There
might be games you can't play with your GF2 Ti, but you will be able to
play them with the FX5200.

Mario

Martin Eriksson
August 21st 03, 08:59 PM
"CéhèS" > wrote in message

> Hi there, here's the story :
>
> I have a Geforce 2Ti (high end of its time) on a athlon 1.3Ghz with 384 Mo
> and AGP 4x.
>
> I can have a MSI Geforce Fx5200 128 DDR (low end of fx !) to be changed
with
> my 2Ti (and no more money ! to long to explain...)
>
> Is this a good idea, i heard so much thing about the fx : not a finished
> card, not very powerful, hard to program so game won't use it good, and so
> on...
>
> Any comment ?
>
> Thanks a lot...

Did you other guys even read that he has got a GF 2 (TWO!) Ti, which is
about the performance of a "Normal" GF2 Pro. This also means DX7 effects
only. A GF FX5200 will be a significant upgrade to that GF2, and you will
get better 3D quality too (because you can enable stuff like FSAA and AF
which made the GF2 slow to a snails pace).

The FX 5200 is based off the new series of FX cards (not the dustbuster) and
actually runs very nice.

/M

mike
August 21st 03, 09:02 PM
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 22:12:02 +0300, Mario Kadastik
> wrote:

>CéhèS wrote:
>
>>>I'm not familiar with the Geforce 2Ti but I bought a FX5200 128Mb
>>>(128-bit DDR and make sure the one you get is 128-bit as well) to
>>>replace my old GeForce3 Ti200, it was marginally faster than the 200.
>>

>> Tx,
>>
>> this is a 128, no problem...
>>
>> My 2Ti is quite less faster than the TI200 then i'll se a difference ! cool
>> !
>>
>> What does "marginally" means in english ? a little bit or a lot ?
>>
>> regards
>>

>It means a little bit, but the FX5200 should be a bit faster than
>GF3Ti200 and hence should be significantly faster than your GF2Ti.
>
>What you have heard is not all true. The card isn't that bad actually.
>it's not fast enough to play real DX9 games, but it's fast enough to
>compete with GF4 Ti 4200 in DX8 games (approx the same speed). There
>might be games you can't play with your GF2 Ti, but you will be able to
>play them with the FX5200.
>
>Mario

Not sure what card you have seen but even the 5200 Ultra can't compete
with the 4200... in anything I've seen.

CéhèS
August 21st 03, 09:24 PM
> It means a little bit, but the FX5200 should be a bit faster than
> GF3Ti200 and hence should be significantly faster than your GF2Ti.
>
> What you have heard is not all true. The card isn't that bad actually.
> it's not fast enough to play real DX9 games, but it's fast enough to
> compete with GF4 Ti 4200 in DX8 games (approx the same speed). There
> might be games you can't play with your GF2 Ti, but you will be able
> play them with the FX5200.
>
> Mario

Tx for this simple but complete answer.

CéhèS
August 21st 03, 09:29 PM
> I'd stick with what you have until the next line of Nvidia cards.

Maybe a good isea, but, i'll be obliged to change my computer... not
powerful enought then :-)
I've heard my athlon 1.3 is quite "short" to play the fx 5200

> My 0.2
> HTH :)

What does these two lines means ?

CéhèS
August 21st 03, 09:34 PM
> It was a little faster than the Ti200. Once again, I can't stress this
> enough, be 100% sure that it's 128-bit DDR ram and not 64-bit DDR. The
> 128Mb card can be either 64-bit or 128-bit. The 64-bit card is likely
> not any faster than your GF2 Ti.

Well i went on MSI site and they're only talking about the rendering engine
(128 bit), not the memory !!!

I'll make some bench between the two cards...

CéhèS
August 21st 03, 09:35 PM
> Did you other guys even read that he has got a GF 2 (TWO!) Ti, which
> is about the performance of a "Normal" GF2 Pro. This also means DX7
> effects only. A GF FX5200 will be a significant upgrade to that GF2,
> and you will get better 3D quality too (because you can enable stuff
> like FSAA and AF which made the GF2 slow to a snails pace).
>
> The FX 5200 is based off the new series of FX cards (not the
> dustbuster) and actually runs very nice.

I've read that i can forget FSAA and AF on such a card (fx5200) because it
will slow down the card too much ! Maybe it was written by a powergamer that
alway wants 150 fps !!

tx

Martin Eriksson
August 21st 03, 11:25 PM
"CéhèS" > wrote in message
> > Did you other guys even read that he has got a GF 2 (TWO!) Ti, which
> > is about the performance of a "Normal" GF2 Pro. This also means DX7
> > effects only. A GF FX5200 will be a significant upgrade to that GF2,
> > and you will get better 3D quality too (because you can enable stuff
> > like FSAA and AF which made the GF2 slow to a snails pace).
> >
> > The FX 5200 is based off the new series of FX cards (not the
> > dustbuster) and actually runs very nice.
>
> I've read that i can forget FSAA and AF on such a card (fx5200) because it
> will slow down the card too much ! Maybe it was written by a powergamer
that
> alway wants 150 fps !!

Yup. The FX 5200 is not slower than my GF4 Ti4200 when it comes to AF and
FSAA and I'm always running 1024x768x32 2x FSAA and 2x AF in all my games...
(including C&C generals, CS, Morrowind...)

/M

CéhèS
August 22nd 03, 07:32 AM
> >> I'd stick with what you have until the next line of Nvidia cards.
> >
> >Maybe a good isea, but, i'll be obliged to change my computer... not
> >powerful enought then :-)
>
> Don't change your system until you buy a game or application you can't
> run on it and you cannot do without,"That" game/application ;-)
>
> >I've heard my athlon 1.3 is quite "short" to play the fx 5200

Hey, what a good way of life ;-)

> >> My 0.2
> >> HTH :)
> >
> >What does these two lines means ?
>
> Although I'm English it's an American lazy way of saying,"My 2 cents"
> e.g adding my 2 cents to the conversation adding my comment take it or
> leave it.

OK, i'm more eften on french NG, this is not used...

> HTH is standard,"Usenet" abbreviation for,"Hope This Helps" as per,

This is used, but i've never seen the contrated form...

> http://whatis.techtarget.com/
> and all explained there :O)
> and,
> http://phrases.shu.ac.uk/bulletin_board/8/messages/679.html

Thanks for that (and the other :-)

CéhèS
August 22nd 03, 07:35 AM
"Martin Eriksson" > a écrit dans le message de
> "CéhèS" > wrote in message
> > > Did you other guys even read that he has got a GF 2 (TWO!) Ti, which
> > > is about the performance of a "Normal" GF2 Pro. This also means DX7
> > > effects only. A GF FX5200 will be a significant upgrade to that GF2,
> > > and you will get better 3D quality too (because you can enable stuff
> > > like FSAA and AF which made the GF2 slow to a snails pace).
> > >
> > > The FX 5200 is based off the new series of FX cards (not the
> > > dustbuster) and actually runs very nice.
> >
> > I've read that i can forget FSAA and AF on such a card (fx5200) because
it
> > will slow down the card too much ! Maybe it was written by a powergamer
> that
> > alway wants 150 fps !!
>
> Yup. The FX 5200 is not slower than my GF4 Ti4200 when it comes to AF and
> FSAA and I'm always running 1024x768x32 2x FSAA and 2x AF in all my
games...
> (including C&C generals, CS, Morrowind...)

:-)

this is the best news have heard in this thread !!

tx