PDA

View Full Version : AGP 1x video cards?

Joel Konkle-Parker
August 18th 03, 07:28 PM
I'm in desperate need of an AGP1x (or compatible) video card, and I
don't know where to start looking. A couple years ago I invertantly put
a 4x card in my 1x slot, and now it's dead. Does anyone know of any
1x-compatible cards out there, or of something that can help me find one?

- Joel

chuck
August 18th 03, 07:31 PM
"Joel Konkle-Parker" > wrote in message
m...
> I'm in desperate need of an AGP1x (or compatible) video card, and I
> don't know where to start looking. A couple years ago I invertantly put
> a 4x card in my 1x slot, and now it's dead. Does anyone know of any
> 1x-compatible cards out there, or of something that can help me find one?
>
> - Joel

That's odd, something must have been wrong with the card to begin with since
most videocards are backwards compatible with earlier AGP standards.

Dan Keeley
August 18th 03, 08:01 PM
Sorry, thats not true at all - The old 1x agp was 5v and now agp is 3.3v (
something like that ) and if you put an old card in, or mismatch them you
can blow them up....

However, little known is that usually agp 1x was a different connector - yes
there were 2 agp connectors, but the original one is indeed rare, so this
will add extra complication!

Try ebay...

"chuck" > wrote in message

> "Joel Konkle-Parker" > wrote in message
> m...
> > I'm in desperate need of an AGP1x (or compatible) video card, and I
> > don't know where to start looking. A couple years ago I invertantly put
> > a 4x card in my 1x slot, and now it's dead. Does anyone know of any
> > 1x-compatible cards out there, or of something that can help me find
one?

> > - Joel
> >

> That's odd, something must have been wrong with the card to begin with
since
> most videocards are backwards compatible with earlier AGP standards.

Tony Low
August 18th 03, 08:08 PM
Hi there,
I believed you are talking about AGP Specification 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0 and
not the AGP speed. As chuck has said, there shouldnt be any problems using
later AGP Specification Video Card on older AGP slot, as they are backwards
compatible. Check out this page :
http://www.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html

P.S. Though, there is some reports of incompatiblilty using later AGP
Specification Video Card on older motherboard, but it is a matter of getting
the video card to work or not in the first place and not damaging it.

"Joel Konkle-Parker" > wrote in message
m...
> I'm in desperate need of an AGP1x (or compatible) video card, and I
> don't know where to start looking. A couple years ago I invertantly put
> a 4x card in my 1x slot, and now it's dead. Does anyone know of any
> 1x-compatible cards out there, or of something that can help me find one?
>
> - Joel

HamMan
August 18th 03, 08:19 PM
"Joel Konkle-Parker" > wrote in message
m...
> I'm in desperate need of an AGP1x (or compatible) video card, and I
> don't know where to start looking. A couple years ago I invertantly put
> a 4x card in my 1x slot, and now it's dead. Does anyone know of any
> 1x-compatible cards out there, or of something that can help me find one?
>
> - Joel

If youre looking for a newish card for the system, you should use PCI and
get about a GeForce1 or TnT2

Slash
August 19th 03, 05:44 AM
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 17:40:10 +0000, "J.Clarke" >
scribbled:

>On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:28:02 GMT
>Joel Konkle-Parker > wrote:
>
>> I'm in desperate need of an AGP1x (or compatible) video card, and I
>> don't know where to start looking. A couple years ago I invertantly
>> put a 4x card in my 1x slot, and now it's dead. Does anyone know of
>> any 1x-compatible cards out there, or of something that can help me
>> find one?
>
>If it ran for 2 years it wasn't AGP 1x that killed it. But are you
>_sure_ it's 1x and not 1.0? What motherboard are you using?
>
>> - Joel

It would have to be 1.0, there were no official 1x AGP boards. The
first one with AGP, the 440LX chipset, supported 1x and 2x.

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"
-The Onion