PDA

View Full Version : Is this a 5600 ultra or not ?

Rob
August 16th 03, 03:59 PM
I have just recieved what I hope is a Gainward 5600 ultra Fx powerpack
ultra/760 xp yet when I look at 3dmark 03 system info it says its a
fx5600 and even in gainwards expertool info it says the chipset is
fx5600 - no mention of ultra - is this right ? does any anyone with a
5600 ultra see the same when looking at the chipset. Is there any
other way of verifying the chipset without ripping off the heatsink ?

loonym
August 16th 03, 04:25 PM
<Rob> wrote in message
: I have just recieved what I hope is a Gainward 5600 ultra Fx
powerpack
: ultra/760 xp yet when I look at 3dmark 03 system info it says
its a
: fx5600 and even in gainwards expertool info it says the chipset
is
: fx5600 - no mention of ultra - is this right ? does any anyone
with a
: 5600 ultra see the same when looking at the chipset. Is there
any
: other way of verifying the chipset without ripping off the
heatsink ?
:
:
you can tell from the stock clock speeds of the ram/gpu.

simply use coolbits to activate this feature in display settings
dialog.

you should be running 400/800 at stock clocks

Stephen
August 16th 03, 06:22 PM
If it's a "Golden Sample" then I have the same card. I too was a
little confused and have been assured by Gainward's UK sales director
that it is a version 1 Ultra. They were renamed to diffentiate them
from the version 2 Ultra.

If you look at the clock speeds in the Detonator's control panel
thing, you should see that in 3D mode it is running at 350/700 which I
believe are the speeds for the original Ultra. I emailed Gainward to
ask if it is an Ultra and a Golden Sample, I could therefore safely
overclock it to 380/780 and have not received a reply...

It's strange that Expertool doesn't seem to have the correct speeds
for Safe and Enhanced modes though isn't it?#

Hope that's some help!

Rob <> wrote in message >...
> I have just recieved what I hope is a Gainward 5600 ultra Fx powerpack
> ultra/760 xp yet when I look at 3dmark 03 system info it says its a
> fx5600 and even in gainwards expertool info it says the chipset is
> fx5600 - no mention of ultra - is this right ? does any anyone with a
> 5600 ultra see the same when looking at the chipset. Is there any
> other way of verifying the chipset without ripping off the heatsink ?

Ron Merts
August 18th 03, 07:28 AM
If it's a "Golden Sample" card then it's an Ultra, if it doesn't say "Golden
Sample" then it's NOT an ultra card. The other tell-tale sign is if it has
the 4-pin Molex connector at the front of the board it's an Ultra, if
doesn't then you do not have a FX 5600 Ultra card.

Ron

<Rob> wrote in message ...
> I have just recieved what I hope is a Gainward 5600 ultra Fx powerpack
> ultra/760 xp yet when I look at 3dmark 03 system info it says its a
> fx5600 and even in gainwards expertool info it says the chipset is
> fx5600 - no mention of ultra - is this right ? does any anyone with a
> 5600 ultra see the same when looking at the chipset. Is there any
> other way of verifying the chipset without ripping off the heatsink ?

Dragon
August 18th 03, 11:51 PM
"Ron Merts" > wrote in message
> If it's a "Golden Sample" card then it's an Ultra, if it doesn't say
"Golden
> Sample" then it's NOT an ultra card. The other tell-tale sign is if it
has
> the 4-pin Molex connector at the front of the board it's an Ultra, if
> doesn't then you do not have a FX 5600 Ultra card.
>
> Ron
>
> <Rob> wrote in message ...
> > I have just recieved what I hope is a Gainward 5600 ultra Fx powerpack
> > ultra/760 xp yet when I look at 3dmark 03 system info it says its a
> > fx5600 and even in gainwards expertool info it says the chipset is
> > fx5600 - no mention of ultra - is this right ? does any anyone with a
> > 5600 ultra see the same when looking at the chipset. Is there any
> > other way of verifying the chipset without ripping off the heatsink ?

A Gainward Ultra is not a GeForce Ultra.
See http://www.guru3d.com/article.php?cat=Videocards&id=54

---

Rob
August 20th 03, 04:13 PM
Ok , I have sent Gainwards tech support the Semi-product number and
from that they have told me that it is a 5600 and NOT a 5600 ultra .
It does have a Molex connector on the front of the card and it is
a Golden sample - so dont use those as tell tale signs .
Its on its way back to the supplier for a refund.