PDA

View Full Version : Re: ATI, Xbox Deal: First Consequences

Tea Nes
August 15th 03, 05:52 PM
$13.77 from $1.52 is not 12 percent. You must be wrong, that 900% and I
doubt it went that high.
"Radeon350" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]
> currently supplied by ATI rival nVIDIA.
>
> Industry Analysts Talk
>
> "That is, in effect, an arrangement with no downside for ATI, unlike
> Nvidia's relationship with Microsoft whereby it was essentially
> selling chips in the normal model and, by our estimates, not likely to
> have much actual earnings from the project," Brian Piccioni,
> semiconductor analyst at BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc., said Thursday.
>
> In a research report issued earlier this week on Tuesday, First
> Associates Investment Inc.'s Dennis dos Santos said it has raised its
> price targets for the company as "evidence mounts evidence that ATI
> has overtaken Nvidia Corp. for industry leadership." Mr. dos Santos
> said First Associates has a "buy" rating on the stock. He raised his
> price target from $16 (Canadian) to $19.50 for ATI's shares in
> Toronto. "We believe that once investors become convinced that the
> leadership of the industry has changed hands, ATI will be accorded the
> 'industry leader's' premium multiple." He also noted that as the next
> generation of gaming consoles are due for 2005 or 2006, major awards
> would come this year. "A win with Microsoft would add between $0.10
> and $0.20 per share to EPS, beginning in fiscal 2005," Mr. dos Santos
> wrote.
>
> "Microsoft is always particularly vague in terms of its press releases
> and not spilling too much, but we are very confident that this in fact
> represents the next generation of Xbox," said David Hodgson, an
> analyst with Dundee Securities.
>
> "nVIDIA has really given a lot of signals that they're trying to
> distance themselves from Xbox2," Michael McConnell, an analyst for
> Pacific Crest Securities, said earlier this summer. "That relationship
> has really soured over the last year. Microsoft in general is just not
> a very nice partner to deal with. I think the whole experience left
> nVIDIA with a bad taste in their mouth."
>
> "This decision marks a major victory for ATI, having beaten out the
> incumbent Xbox graphics chips provider and archrival nVIDIA," Paul
> Howbold, an analyst at Desjardins Securities Inc., wrote in a report.
> Although Xbox will probably not be sold until the end of 2005, Mr.
> Howbold raised his Nasdaq stock target price by $1.50 to between
> $14.50 and $20 from between $13 to $18.
>
> "nVIDIA didn't want to meet Microsoft's demands for the floating
> design of Xbox Next. It didn't make sense to partner on the project.
> At this moment in time, ATI is working with Microsoft," an nVIDIA
> staffer said in June, according to Spong.com, which first broke the
> story.
>
> "nVIDIA had recently signaled the company wouldn't be interested in
> pursuing the next-generation Xbox business", says Jon Peddie,
> principal analyst for Jon Peddie Research. "The company recently said
> it was looking to cut costs, and a number of industry observers have
> indicated that Microsoft was looking for another partner".

Keith Clark
August 15th 03, 06:34 PM
Tea Nes wrote:

> $13.77 from $1.52 is not 12 percent. You must be wrong, that 900% and I
> doubt it went that high.

You misread.

The quote said the price rose by $1.52, not from $1.52.

> [...]
> > Howbold, an analyst at Desjardins Securities Inc., wrote in a report.
> > Although Xbox will probably not be sold until the end of 2005, Mr.
> > Howbold raised his Nasdaq stock target price by $1.50 to between
> > $14.50 and $20 from between $13 to $18.
> >
> > "nVIDIA didn't want to meet Microsoft's demands for the floating
> > design of Xbox Next. It didn't make sense to partner on the project.
> > At this moment in time, ATI is working with Microsoft," an nVIDIA
> > staffer said in June, according to Spong.com, which first broke the
> > story.
> >
> > "nVIDIA had recently signaled the company wouldn't be interested in
> > pursuing the next-generation Xbox business", says Jon Peddie,
> > principal analyst for Jon Peddie Research. "The company recently said
> > it was looking to cut costs, and a number of industry observers have
> > indicated that Microsoft was looking for another partner".

August 15th 03, 07:07 PM
wrestleantares wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:52:49 -0400, "Tea Nes" > wrote:
>
> >$13.77 from $1.52 is not 12 percent. You must be wrong, that 900% and I
> >doubt it went that high.
>
> "rising $1.52 to $13.77"
>
> So former price was:
>
> Anyone....
>
> That's right for those of you able to read and do math it's $12.25.
>
> Notice how it did not say: "rising from $1.52 to $13.77"

I checked with CBS Market watch (link from Yahoo Finance) and they say the
price only jumped by 6%. Still, makes me wish I'd bought some ATI stock
earlier.

CNN the other day was covering Quakecon, and explaining the benefits of a
graphics card update. I thought it was one of the best techincal stories ever
done on a mainstream news show. Anyway they went on to say that most people
wanting to play Doom 3 would need an upgrade. They mentioned ATI and Nvidia,
but the only card they actually talked about was an ATI 9800. So guess what
impression that leaves with the public.

I love my Nvidia Fx5600 based card but I'm still thinking of buying some ATI
stock before Doom 3 comes out...

Keith

Thomas A. Horsley
August 15th 03, 11:14 PM
>First Consequences

Actually, my guess as to first consequences is that "normal" windows driver
development will be totally bottom of the barrel priority in the future :-).
--
>>==>> The *Best* political site <URL:http://www.vote-smart.org/> >>==+
email: icbm: Delray Beach, FL |
<URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley> Free Software and Politics <<==+

ginfest
August 18th 03, 10:01 AM
"Thomas A. Horsley" > wrote in message
> >First Consequences
>
> Actually, my guess as to first consequences is that "normal" windows
driver
> development will be totally bottom of the barrel priority in the future
:-).
> --

Judging from the state of the current ATI drivers, it already is!

[email protected] writeme.com
August 18th 03, 10:07 AM
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 09:01:55 GMT, "ginfest" >
wrote:

>Judging from the state of the current ATI drivers, it already is!

Spoken like a true know nothing troll.

Andrew.

ginfest
August 18th 03, 09:31 PM
<[email protected] writeme.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 09:01:55 GMT, "ginfest" >
> wrote:
>
> >Judging from the state of the current ATI drivers, it already is!
> >
> Spoken like a true know nothing troll.
>
> Andrew.

Actually you can call me Digital Wonderer, Dumbtrooper, or Hellwhiner

Danke