PDA

View Full Version : Abit Siluro FX5200 DT vs. Prolink Geforce FX 5200

Matt
August 15th 03, 03:26 PM
Do you have experience with these or can you help me make sense of the
specs? Not clear why or whether I should prefer one or the other.

Both:
Nvidia FX5200 chipset, 128MB DDR, AGP 8X, DVI, TVout, Dual 350MHz
RAMDACs, Retail boxed.

================ Abit ================
$77 shipped,newegg.com:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=14-123-123
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/graphics/products.php?categories=2&model=46
"6.4 GB/sec memory bandwidth"
"[email protected] 75Hz"

================ Prolink =============
Model VTV-5200-128AD
$72 shipped, special $5 off, newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=14-108-115
http://www.prolink-usa.com/english/product/vio-5200-128ad.html
cooling fan
"500 MHz memory bus", also available in a "400 MHz" model
"Provides double the bandwidth of AGP 4X-1.1GB/sec.vs.2.1GB/sec. AGP 8X"
"Max display resolution 2048x1536x32bpp @85Hz"

Ron Merts
August 18th 03, 07:04 AM
If the pictures are accurate from NewEgg the Pixelview comes with 2 extra
CDs that *could* have some extra software or demos on them. The link to the
card from Pixelview shows a different card tho (look at the two pictures,
the memory is located differently on the board - the Newegg pictures show
what appears to be 128-bit datapath memory while the ProLink sit eshows what
looks to be 64-bit datapath configuration). The Abit card is, according to
their website, 128-bit pipeline on the entire card. I'd probably go with
the Abit card and look at swapping the passive heatsink for an active
heatsink/fan combo if I wanted some additional cooling on the GPU. I'm
pretty sure that the low-end ProLink card uses a 64-bit datapath which is
going to kill any hope for performance. Remember the FX 5200 is an
entry-level card so your performance is going to be towards the lower end of
the scale anyway you go; but when paired with a fast CPU the performance is
still adequate for many applications - as long as you are not expecting or
wanting 50fps in Quake or Unreal Tournament.

Ron