PDA

View Full Version : whats the speed like on an FX5200?

Lee Marsh
August 12th 03, 09:12 PM
The Mentor GeForce FX 5200 ? would it be good with an Athlon XP 2600?

Cheers.

mike
August 14th 03, 06:39 AM
Marginally faster than a GeForce3 Ti200 or, if this is a better
comparison, slightly slower than an ATI 8500 LE. Either way the CPU
you have is overmatched for the 5200 DEPENDING on what you want to do
with the card. If 3D gaming is what you are after there are better
choices even in the 5200 price range. If a general purpose card and
light gaming is all you want the 5200 will suffice.

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:12:40 +0100, "Lee Marsh"
> wrote:

>The Mentor GeForce FX 5200 ? would it be good with an Athlon XP 2600?
>
>Cheers.

Lee Marsh
August 14th 03, 09:45 PM
"Mario Kadastik" > wrote in message
> Well most likely you will not be able to play Doom ]|[ or HL2 on a
> FX5200 with the DX9 settings you might be hoping towards. The card is so
> slow in performance that you can only play the new games with low
> settings in a low resolution. So if you want to play the games then
> you'll have to consider GF4Ti series (Ti4400 or Ti4200 that can
> sometimes OC to 4600 speeds) or higher FX series cards.
>
> Mario
>
> Lee Marsh wrote:
> > Thanks, I'm looking for a standalone fast system that will be able to
handle
> > Half-Life 2, Doom 3 etc but for only 500.
> >
> > "mike" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Marginally faster than a GeForce3 Ti200 or, if this is a better
> >>comparison, slightly slower than an ATI 8500 LE. Either way the CPU
> >>you have is overmatched for the 5200 DEPENDING on what you want to do
> >>with the card. If 3D gaming is what you are after there are better
> >>choices even in the 5200 price range. If a general purpose card and
> >>light gaming is all you want the 5200 will suffice.

Thanks for all your comments!

Right I've decided on the following:

I can buy a pre-built system with the following:

Athlon XP 2600
1GB PC2700 memory
80GB Maxtor ATA133 Hdd
Asus A7V8X-X Via KT400 Mobo
Mentor Geforce FX 5200

All for around 470.00

What I was thinking of doing is upgrading the FX5200 to a PNY GF FX5900,
what do you
guys/girls think? Or would I be better going for say a Gainward GF 4 ti4800,
would this go
better with the Athlon XP 2600??

Cheers,

Lee.

Mario Kadastik
August 15th 03, 12:21 AM
Lee Marsh wrote:
> "Mario Kadastik" > wrote in message
>
>>Well most likely you will not be able to play Doom ]|[ or HL2 on a
>>FX5200 with the DX9 settings you might be hoping towards. The card is so
>>slow in performance that you can only play the new games with low
>>settings in a low resolution. So if you want to play the games then
>>you'll have to consider GF4Ti series (Ti4400 or Ti4200 that can
>>sometimes OC to 4600 speeds) or higher FX series cards.
>>
>>Mario
>>
>>Lee Marsh wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks, I'm looking for a standalone fast system that will be able to
>
> handle
>
>>>Half-Life 2, Doom 3 etc but for only 500.

> Thanks for all your comments!
>
> Right I've decided on the following:
>
> I can buy a pre-built system with the following:
>
> Athlon XP 2600
> 1GB PC2700 memory
> 80GB Maxtor ATA133 Hdd
> Asus A7V8X-X Via KT400 Mobo
> Mentor Geforce FX 5200
>
> All for around 470.00
>
> What I was thinking of doing is upgrading the FX5200 to a PNY GF FX5900,
> what do you
> guys/girls think? Or would I be better going for say a Gainward GF 4 ti4800,
> would this go
> better with the Athlon XP 2600??
>
> Cheers,
>
> Lee.

If you can afford it then go for the FX5900. It's definitely faster in
every angle compared to the Ti 4800. Including DX9 support that the
Ti4800 lacks. This might be essential for games like DooM ]|[ and HL 2.

Mario

mike
August 15th 03, 03:25 AM
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 21:45:55 +0100, "Lee Marsh"
> wrote:

>Thanks for all your comments!
>
>Right I've decided on the following:
>
>I can buy a pre-built system with the following:
>
>Athlon XP 2600
>1GB PC2700 memory
>80GB Maxtor ATA133 Hdd
>Asus A7V8X-X Via KT400 Mobo
>Mentor Geforce FX 5200
>
>All for around 470.00
>
>What I was thinking of doing is upgrading the FX5200 to a PNY GF FX5900,
>what do you
>guys/girls think? Or would I be better going for say a Gainward GF 4 ti4800,
>would this go
>better with the Athlon XP 2600??
>
>Cheers,
>
>Lee.

For the money you'd spend on a 5900 I'd buy a Radeon 9800 (non-pro)
and overclock it to Pro levels.... you'd have a very fast card (within
the top 3 or 4 fastest available) for a relatively modest amount
spent.

Darthy
August 16th 03, 10:08 AM
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 21:45:55 +0100, "Lee Marsh"
> wrote:

>Thanks for all your comments!
>
>Right I've decided on the following:
>
>I can buy a pre-built system with the following:
>
>Athlon XP 2600
>1GB PC2700 memory
>80GB Maxtor ATA133 Hdd
>Asus A7V8X-X Via KT400 Mobo
>Mentor Geforce FX 5200
>
>All for around 470.00
>
>What I was thinking of doing is upgrading the FX5200 to a PNY GF FX5900,
>what do you
>guys/girls think? Or would I be better going for say a Gainward GF 4 ti4800,
>would this go
>better with the Athlon XP 2600??

XP2600 is fine...

But if youre getting a NEW system - why not OPT for the ASUS
A7N8X-Deluxe? Im working on one right now - and its A LOT faster than
my ASUS A7v8X board...

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!