PDA

View Full Version : When will we see normal-sized cards again?

Kodiak
August 6th 03, 07:17 PM
There's no way I can fit the latest 2-slot contraptions into my case. I would
have bought a 5900U by now if not for its current price and size.

Does anyone know? Thnx la~!

Hamman
August 6th 03, 07:24 PM
"Kodiak" > wrote in message
> There's no way I can fit the latest 2-slot contraptions into my case. I
would
> have bought a 5900U by now if not for its current price and size.
>
> Does anyone know? Thnx la~!

If you want small go ATI, nVidia seem to think that bigger is better; or at
least they think they can get away with overclocking a TnT2, slapping a
heatsink on and calling it an FX.

I'm just waiting for the tripple and quad cards

Courseyauto
August 6th 03, 08:07 PM
<<
"Kodiak" > wrote in message
> There's no way I can fit the latest 2-slot contraptions into my case. I
would
> have bought a 5900U by now if not for its current price and size.
>
> Does anyone know? Thnx la~!

If you want small go ATI, nVidia seem to think that bigger is better; or at
least they think they can get away with overclocking a TnT2, slapping a
heatsink on and calling it an FX.

I'm just waiting for the tripple and quad cards

I could have sworn this was an Nvidia newsgroup,you mean if i ask for a card
recomendation in the ATI group they will tell me to get an Nvidia card? I
would stick with nvidia,ATI driver's still suck.........

All the newer FX cards only use 1 slot, the Gainward FX 5900 non ultra is a
good card,if you dont want to spend that much then their FX5600 flip chip is a
good choice.

[email protected] writeme.com
August 6th 03, 08:21 PM
On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 11:56:32 -0700, Longshanks
> wrote:

>Then you don't have FS2004 or a few other games that have problems on
>the ATI cards. Yes, I have owned ATI before, R8500 to be exact.

No, I don't have FS2004. It has worked fine with all the other games
and demos I have tried though.

Things have improved a bit since the 8500.

Andrew.

Kodiak
August 6th 03, 08:30 PM
"Courseyauto" > wrote in message
> <<
> "Kodiak" > wrote in message
> > There's no way I can fit the latest 2-slot contraptions into my case. I
> would
> > have bought a 5900U by now if not for its current price and size.
> >
> > Does anyone know? Thnx la~!
> >

> If you want small go ATI, nVidia seem to think that bigger is better; or at
> least they think they can get away with overclocking a TnT2, slapping a
> heatsink on and calling it an FX.
>
> I'm just waiting for the tripple and quad cards
> >>>>

> I could have sworn this was an Nvidia newsgroup,you mean if i ask for a card
> recomendation in the ATI group they will tell me to get an Nvidia card? I
> would stick with nvidia,ATI driver's still suck.........
>
> All the newer FX cards only use 1 slot,

I assume you mean NV30?

> the Gainward FX 5900 non ultra is a
> good card,if you dont want to spend that much then their FX5600 flip chip is a
> good choice.

Leafblower or not :) ... there's no way I'm buying an NV30 (crippled mem
interface and all that good stuff).

Kodiak
August 6th 03, 08:37 PM
"Kodiak" > wrote in message
> "Courseyauto" > wrote in message
> > All the newer FX cards only use 1 slot,
>
> I assume you mean NV30?
>
> > the Gainward FX 5900 non ultra is a
> > good card,

Ahem, excuse my ignorance! I didn't realize there was any NV35 like that! Hmm,
there's hope yet... :oD

> if you dont want to spend that much then their FX5600 flip chip is a
> > good choice.
>
> Leafblower or not :) ... there's no way I'm buying an NV30 (crippled mem
> interface and all that good stuff).

Strontium
August 6th 03, 08:50 PM
And your 'chip on shoulder' is stored....where? Hope you have one of those
special packs from RavenShield. They hold Quite a bit!

I've used nVidia and ATI, for many years. Your 'omg this brand is better
than the other' kind of crap is really lame. Wait `till you bounce between
the two chipmakers for a few years.....then comment on loyalty. Idiot.

-

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. 'Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Flow
August 6th 03, 10:01 PM
So lets not forget the original post plz.
Yes,allthough pleased with my ti4400 its really too big.
My system temps went up a few degrees celcius when i installed this card.
And it allmost touches my harddrive.
I dont know when the cards will get smaller again,time will tell........

<[email protected] writeme.com> schreef in bericht
> On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 19:45:20 GMT, "Tom" > wrote:
>
> >If you don't like Nvidia.....then right click on the
> >alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia................ ......and hit the
delete
> >button...
> >
> I am not narrow minded when it comes to hardware. My last 4 video
> cards happen to have been different generations of GeForce cards which
> have served me very well. I was just pointing out the alternative
> (based on my own personal experience) to the OP who wanted a sensible
> sized card. My spare machine has a GF3 in it, so I will stay
> participating in this newsgroup if thats okay with you fanboy.
>
> Andrew.

Courseyauto
August 6th 03, 10:12 PM

> All the newer FX cards only use 1 slot,

I assume you mean NV30?

> the Gainward FX 5900 non ultra is a
> good card,if you dont want to spend that much then their FX5600 flip chip is
> good choice.

Leafblower or not :) ... there's no way I'm buying an NV30 (crippled mem
interface and all that good stuff).

The FX 5900 is a NV35, and it's not loud and it doesn't run hot. It also only
uses 1 slot.

Courseyauto
August 6th 03, 10:22 PM
And your 'chip on shoulder' is stored....where? Hope you have one of those
special packs from RavenShield. They hold Quite a bit!

I've used nVidia and ATI, for many years. Your 'omg this brand is better
than the other' kind of crap is really lame. Wait `till you bounce between
the two chipmakers for a few years.....then comment on loyalty. Idiot.

I agree with Tom, kodiac didnt come to the Nvidia group to get a recomendation
for an ATI card, If thats what he wanted he would have been there. go peddle
your ATI **** there....................

Tom
August 6th 03, 10:43 PM
I never said my brand was better or worse. I simply stated this is an
Nvidia newsgroup, if you prefer ATI then go to that newsgroup. I don't go
there and bash ATI, so don't come here and bash Nvidia. We're all here to
try and help each other through some of the problems we're having. Most of
us Nvidia fans don't want to come to this newsgroup and read a bunch of
stuff that doesn't pertain to our cards.

"Strontium" > wrote in message
> And your 'chip on shoulder' is stored....where? Hope you have one of
those
> special packs from RavenShield. They hold Quite a bit!
>
> I've used nVidia and ATI, for many years. Your 'omg this brand is better
> than the other' kind of crap is really lame. Wait `till you bounce
between
> the two chipmakers for a few years.....then comment on loyalty. Idiot.
>

> -
> Tom stood up at show-n-tell, in [email protected], and said:
>
> > If you don't like Nvidia.....then right click on the
> > alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia................ ......and hit the
> > delete button...
> >

> > <[email protected] writeme.com> wrote in message
> >> On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 11:56:32 -0700, Longshanks

> >> No, I don't have FS2004. It has worked fine with all the other games
> >> and demos I have tried though.
> >>
> >> Things have improved a bit since the 8500.
> >>
> >> Andrew.
>
> --
> Strontium
>
> "It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. 'Cause every
> now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Strontium
August 7th 03, 06:53 AM
Well, I didn't percieve OP's comment as 'bashing' nVidia. But, then again,
I don't get defensive when someone says they've left ATI for nVidia, either.
I read both groups. As I may be back with nVidia, someday. I've already
been back and forth between both chipmakers, a few times.

-