PDA

View Full Version : Aperture size - Can I change it within the OS or MUST it be in the bios?

Sebastian A. Potthoff
August 6th 03, 12:22 PM
Hi,

is there a way to change the aperture size within the OS or must it be in
the Bios. Since I have a laptop that does not allow any chance of accessing
the BIOS, I need to find a way how to change it from within the OS.

Is there a way to do that?

Kind regards,
Sebastian A. Potthoff

Bratboy
August 6th 03, 01:43 PM
really do think that is only controlable via bios. I didnt realize you
couldn't access bios on laptops myself

"Sebastian A. Potthoff" > wrote in
message ...
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to change the aperture size within the OS or must it be in
> the Bios. Since I have a laptop that does not allow any chance of
accessing
> the BIOS, I need to find a way how to change it from within the OS.
>
> Is there a way to do that?
>
> Kind regards,
> Sebastian A. Potthoff

John Russell
August 6th 03, 02:08 PM
"Sebastian A. Potthoff" > wrote in
message ...
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to change the aperture size within the OS or must it be in
> the Bios. Since I have a laptop that does not allow any chance of
accessing
> the BIOS, I need to find a way how to change it from within the OS.
>
> Is there a way to do that?
>
> Kind regards,
> Sebastian A. Potthoff

Why do you want to change it? The system memory used for textures is shared,
that is, if it isn't being used for textures it's avialable for other uses.

Steve
August 6th 03, 04:27 PM
what manufacturer makes it so you can't access BIOS?

"Strontium" > wrote in message
> Depends on mfg.
>
> -
> Bratboy stood up at show-n-tell, in , and said:
>
> > really do think that is only controlable via bios. I didnt realize you
> > couldn't access bios on laptops myself
> >

> > "Sebastian A. Potthoff" > wrote
> > in message ...
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> is there a way to change the aperture size within the OS or must it
> >> be in the Bios. Since I have a laptop that does not allow any chance
> >> of accessing the BIOS, I need to find a way how to change it from
> >> within the OS.
> >>
> >> Is there a way to do that?
> >>
> >> Kind regards,
> >> Sebastian A. Potthoff
>
> --
> Strontium
>
> "It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. 'Cause every
> now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

---

Strontium
August 6th 03, 05:12 PM
Plenty....

-
Steve stood up at show-n-tell, in
, and said:

> what manufacturer makes it so you can't access BIOS?
>

> "Strontium" > wrote in message
>> Depends on mfg.
>>
>> -
>> Bratboy stood up at show-n-tell, in , and
>> said:
>>
>>> really do think that is only controlable via bios. I didnt realize
>>> you couldn't access bios on laptops myself

>> --
>> Strontium
>>
>> "It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. 'Cause every
>> now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit
>>

> ---

Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. 'Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Folk
August 6th 03, 05:41 PM
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 06:43:55 -0600, "Bratboy" > wrote:

>really do think that is only controlable via bios. I didnt realize you
>couldn't access bios on laptops myself

It's not a question of being able to access the bios, it's a question
of having the ability to change the AGP Aperature size once you're in
there. Sadly, many 'mainstream' mfgs like Dell don't give you much
in the way of bios tweaks.

I ran into the same problem with a client's machine. The fix (don't
remember the problem now) was to increase the AGP aperature size to
128, but there was no bios option. Frustrating as hell.

>"Sebastian A. Potthoff" > wrote in
>message ...
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there a way to change the aperture size within the OS or must it be in
>> the Bios. Since I have a laptop that does not allow any chance of
>accessing
>> the BIOS, I need to find a way how to change it from within the OS.
>>
>> Is there a way to do that?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Sebastian A. Potthoff

Strontium
August 6th 03, 06:55 PM
I was referring to NEWBIES that don't know how to get into CMOS (BIOS for
wannabe know-it-alls). So, your point, is moot. Of course BIOS (AKA CMOS
FOR THOSE THAT KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT) is accessible.
But, dependent on different mfg's, the key to be pressed to get in
varies....SMARTASS.

OH WAIT! I see that you are from Rochester, NY....That explains quite a
bit. I did research in upstate New York, back in `93. You East Coasters
got sticks up your asses...Just my impression.

Besides, OEM BIOS versions are total crap and really don't have any options
for the end user. So, accessing CMOS on a laptop (inherently proprietary)
is useless, unless you just love looking at the time stamp.

Want more of an answer, asshole?

-
, and said:

> I have worked on a lot of laptops.. Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, HP ,Sony,
> etc.... have yet to run into one where I cannot access the BIOS. You
> may have to hit a differnet ket than F1 or Del to get into it but so
> far I have been successful. In fact many of them you can set a boot
> up paswword that you set in the BIOS. So like I asked, what mfgs
> don't let you in? (plenty is not an anwser).
>

> "Strontium" > wrote in message
>> Plenty....
>>
>> -
>> Steve stood up at show-n-tell, in
>> , and said:
>>
>>> what manufacturer makes it so you can't access BIOS?

>>> ---
>>
>> --
>> Strontium
>>
>> "It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. 'Cause every
>> now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit
>>

> ---

Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. 'Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Sebastian A. Potthoff
August 6th 03, 09:40 PM
Well, maybe then you can tell me how to access the BIOS on a Toshiba
Satellite 5200-XXX...

As far as I know, it is not possible... Please tell me if you know more.

Thanks,
Sebastian

"Steve" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I have worked on a lot of laptops.. Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, HP ,Sony,
etc....
> have yet to run into one where I cannot access the BIOS. You may have to
hit
> a differnet ket than F1 or Del to get into it but so far I have been
> successful. In fact many of them you can set a boot up paswword that you
set
> in the BIOS. So like I asked, what mfgs don't let you in? (plenty is not
an
> anwser).
>

> "Strontium" > wrote in message
> > Plenty....
> >
> > -
> > Steve stood up at show-n-tell, in
> > , and said:
> >
> > > what manufacturer makes it so you can't access BIOS?

> > > ---
> >
> > --
> > Strontium
> >
> > "It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. 'Cause every
> > now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit
> >

> ---

Steve
August 6th 03, 10:05 PM
Who is the one with a stick up their butt? I was only inquiring what mfgs
don't let you into BIOS (CMOS for thos who think they know everything).

Sorry.... I'll be sure not to question your great knowledge ever again

"Strontium" > wrote in message
> I was referring to NEWBIES that don't know how to get into CMOS (BIOS for
> wannabe know-it-alls). So, your point, is moot. Of course BIOS (AKA CMOS
> FOR THOSE THAT KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT) is accessible.
> But, dependent on different mfg's, the key to be pressed to get in
> varies....SMARTASS.
>
> OH WAIT! I see that you are from Rochester, NY....That explains quite a
> bit. I did research in upstate New York, back in `93. You East Coasters
> got sticks up your asses...Just my impression.
>
> Besides, OEM BIOS versions are total crap and really don't have any
options
> for the end user. So, accessing CMOS on a laptop (inherently proprietary)
> is useless, unless you just love looking at the time stamp.
>

> Want more of an answer, asshole?
>

> -
> Steve stood up at show-n-tell, in
> , and said:
>
> > I have worked on a lot of laptops.. Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, HP ,Sony,
> > etc.... have yet to run into one where I cannot access the BIOS. You
> > may have to hit a differnet ket than F1 or Del to get into it but so
> > far I have been successful. In fact many of them you can set a boot
> > up paswword that you set in the BIOS. So like I asked, what mfgs
> > don't let you in? (plenty is not an anwser).
> >

> > "Strontium" > wrote in message
> >> Plenty....
> >>
> >> -
> >> Steve stood up at show-n-tell, in

> >> --
> >> Strontium
> >>
> >> "It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. 'Cause every
> >> now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit
> >>

> > ---

> Strontium
>
> "It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. 'Cause every
> now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

---

Steve
August 6th 03, 10:19 PM
The last Toshiba that I came across I believe it was just F1 (Satellite XCDT
4524 or something like that)

"Sebastian A. Potthoff" > wrote in
message ...
> Well, maybe then you can tell me how to access the BIOS on a Toshiba
> Satellite 5200-XXX...
>
> As far as I know, it is not possible... Please tell me if you know more.
>
> Thanks,
> Sebastian
>

> "Steve" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > I have worked on a lot of laptops.. Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, HP ,Sony,
> etc....
> > have yet to run into one where I cannot access the BIOS. You may have to
> hit
> > a differnet ket than F1 or Del to get into it but so far I have been
> > successful. In fact many of them you can set a boot up paswword that you
> set
> > in the BIOS. So like I asked, what mfgs don't let you in? (plenty is not
> an
> > anwser).
> >

> > "Strontium" > wrote in message
> > > Plenty....
> > >
> > > -
> > > Steve stood up at show-n-tell, in

> > > --
> > > Strontium
> > >
> > > "It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. 'Cause every
> > > now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit
> > >

> > ---

---

Biz
August 6th 03, 10:59 PM
http://tinyurl.com/j8ay

This URL will work better.....
"Sebastian A. Potthoff" > wrote in message
> Well, maybe then you can tell me how to access the BIOS on a Toshiba
> Satellite 5200-XXX...
>
> As far as I know, it is not possible... Please tell me if you know more.
>
> Thanks,
> Sebastian
>

> "Steve" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > I have worked on a lot of laptops.. Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, HP ,Sony,
> etc....
> > have yet to run into one where I cannot access the BIOS. You may have to
> hit
> > a differnet ket than F1 or Del to get into it but so far I have been
> > successful. In fact many of them you can set a boot up paswword that you
> set
> > in the BIOS. So like I asked, what mfgs don't let you in? (plenty is not
> an
> > anwser).
> >

> > "Strontium" > wrote in message
> > > Plenty....
> > >
> > > -
> > > Steve stood up at show-n-tell, in

> > > --
> > > Strontium
> > >
> > > "It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. 'Cause every
> > > now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit
> > >

> > ---

NuT CrAcKeR
August 7th 03, 02:57 AM
It sounds like you have the typical confusion of someone that just read
their A+ certification book...

**** off, troll.

NuTs

"Strontium" > wrote in message
> I was referring to NEWBIES that don't know how to get into CMOS (BIOS for
> wannabe know-it-alls). So, your point, is moot. Of course BIOS (AKA CMOS
> FOR THOSE THAT KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT) is accessible.
> But, dependent on different mfg's, the key to be pressed to get in
> varies....SMARTASS.
>
> OH WAIT! I see that you are from Rochester, NY....That explains quite a
> bit. I did research in upstate New York, back in `93. You East Coasters
> got sticks up your asses...Just my impression.
>
> Besides, OEM BIOS versions are total crap and really don't have any
options
> for the end user. So, accessing CMOS on a laptop (inherently proprietary)
> is useless, unless you just love looking at the time stamp.
>

> Want more of an answer, asshole?
>

> -
> Steve stood up at show-n-tell, in
> , and said:
>
> > I have worked on a lot of laptops.. Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, HP ,Sony,
> > etc.... have yet to run into one where I cannot access the BIOS. You
> > may have to hit a differnet ket than F1 or Del to get into it but so
> > far I have been successful. In fact many of them you can set a boot
> > up paswword that you set in the BIOS. So like I asked, what mfgs
> > don't let you in? (plenty is not an anwser).
> >

> > "Strontium" > wrote in message
> >> Plenty....
> >>
> >> -
> >> Steve stood up at show-n-tell, in

> >> --
> >> Strontium
> >>
> >> "It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. 'Cause every
> >> now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit
> >>

> > ---

> Strontium
>
> "It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. 'Cause every
> now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Derek Wildstar
August 7th 03, 06:27 AM
"Strontium" > wrote in message
> I was referring to NEWBIES that don't know how to get into CMOS (BIOS for
> wannabe know-it-alls). So, your point, is moot. Of course BIOS (AKA CMOS
> FOR THOSE THAT KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT) is accessible.
> But, dependent on different mfg's, the key to be pressed to get in
> varies....SMARTASS.
>
> OH WAIT! I see that you are from Rochester, NY....That explains quite a
> bit. I did research in upstate New York, back in `93. You East Coasters
> got sticks up your asses...Just my impression.
>
> Besides, OEM BIOS versions are total crap and really don't have any
options
> for the end user. So, accessing CMOS on a laptop (inherently proprietary)
> is useless, unless you just love looking at the time stamp.
>

> Want more of an answer, asshole?

You are now officially labeled a know nothing, time for you to find another
group.

Strontium
August 7th 03, 06:55 AM
Oooooh, my feewings awe sooooooow huwt!

-
NuT CrAcKeR stood up at show-n-tell, in , and
said:

> It sounds like you have the typical confusion of someone that just
> read their A+ certification book...
>
> **** off, troll.
>
> NuTs
>
> "Strontium" > wrote in message
>> I was referring to NEWBIES that don't know how to get into CMOS
>> (BIOS for wannabe know-it-alls). So, your point, is moot. Of
>> course BIOS (AKA CMOS FOR THOSE THAT KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE
>> TALKING ABOUT) is accessible. But, dependent on different mfg's, the
>> key to be pressed to get in varies....SMARTASS.
>>
>> OH WAIT! I see that you are from Rochester, NY....That explains
>> quite a bit. I did research in upstate New York, back in `93. You
>> East Coasters got sticks up your asses...Just my impression.
>>
>> Besides, OEM BIOS versions are total crap and really don't have any
>> options for the end user. So, accessing CMOS on a laptop
>> (inherently proprietary) is useless, unless you just love looking at
>> the time stamp.
>>

>> Want more of an answer, asshole?
>>

>> -
>> Steve stood up at show-n-tell, in
>> , and said:
>>
>>> I have worked on a lot of laptops.. Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, HP ,Sony,
>>> etc.... have yet to run into one where I cannot access the BIOS. You
>>> may have to hit a differnet ket than F1 or Del to get into it but so
>>> far I have been successful. In fact many of them you can set a boot
>>> up paswword that you set in the BIOS. So like I asked, what mfgs
>>> don't let you in? (plenty is not an anwser).

>>> ---
>>
>> --
>> Strontium
>>
>> "It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. 'Cause every
>> now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. 'Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

John Russell
August 7th 03, 01:57 PM
"Sebastian A. Potthoff" > wrote in
message ...
> Thank you Biz!
> I know that utility. But it only offers the possibility to change very
basic
> settings like boot-order etc. There are no "tweakable" settings really...
>
> Might there be a way to "hack" a bios?...
The is a utility called modbin which can edit a PC bios. If your lucky the
agp setting will have a disabled bios control setting in the bios menu.
Modbin can enable that control so that the AGP setting can be changed. If
not you need to find the AGP aperture in the bios fixed data which isn't
easy as this data dosn't have names pointing indicating what the data is.

Soapm
August 7th 03, 10:54 PM

> Want more of an answer, asshole?

You really impress me. Really, you do. A person comes to a news group for
advise. You give him a wrong answer because in your opion he has not earned
the right to have the answer. Then you call others an asshole? How can you
breath with your snooty big ass head stuck so far up your pompus ass that we
see **** stains in your eyes?

Dave
August 7th 03, 11:14 PM
"John Russell" > wrote in message

> "Sebastian A. Potthoff" > wrote in
> message ...
> > Thank you Biz!
> > I know that utility. But it only offers the possibility to change very
> basic
> > settings like boot-order etc. There are no "tweakable" settings
really...

> > Might there be a way to "hack" a bios?...
> The is a utility called modbin which can edit a PC bios. If your lucky the
> agp setting will have a disabled bios control setting in the bios menu.
> Modbin can enable that control so that the AGP setting can be changed. If
> not you need to find the AGP aperture in the bios fixed data which isn't
> easy as this data dosn't have names pointing indicating what the data is.

Mess up with modbin and you're in for a headache. Seen it happen (not to
me). I've used it to add newer CPUID support for older mobos (and a few
unmentionable diabolical purposes...), but beyond this, I wouldn't recommend
messing about too much with it for the average user...

Strontium
August 8th 03, 12:48 AM
Blah.

-
Soapm stood up at show-n-tell, in
, and said:

>> Want more of an answer, asshole?
>>

> You really impress me. Really, you do. A person comes to a news group
> for advise. You give him a wrong answer because in your opion he has
> not earned the right to have the answer. Then you call others an
> asshole? How can you breath with your snooty big ass head stuck so
> far up your pompus ass that we see **** stains in your eyes?

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. 'Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Steve
August 8th 03, 03:03 AM
You're pretty tough behind that keyboard Strontium. By the way, what are you
going to do when your mummy finds out you post using bad language? Careful
now... you don't want your privledges supended. Then you'll have to dust off
your blow up doll since you won't have anything else to jerk off to.

"Strontium" > wrote in message
> Blah.
>
> -
> Soapm stood up at show-n-tell, in
> , and said:
>
> >> Want more of an answer, asshole?
> >>

> > You really impress me. Really, you do. A person comes to a news group
> > for advise. You give him a wrong answer because in your opion he has
> > not earned the right to have the answer. Then you call others an
> > asshole? How can you breath with your snooty big ass head stuck so
> > far up your pompus ass that we see **** stains in your eyes?
>
> --
> Strontium
>
> "It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. 'Cause every
> now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

---

Strontium
August 8th 03, 07:45 AM
Oh. Such wit. At least I can let it go. Get a life.

-
, and said:

> You're pretty tough behind that keyboard Strontium. By the way, what
> are you going to do when your mummy finds out you post using bad
> language? Careful now... you don't want your privledges supended.
> Then you'll have to dust off your blow up doll since you won't have
> anything else to jerk off to.
>

> "Strontium" > wrote in message
>> Blah.
>>
>> -
>> Soapm stood up at show-n-tell, in

>>> You really impress me. Really, you do. A person comes to a news
>>> group for advise. You give him a wrong answer because in your
>>> opion he has not earned the right to have the answer. Then you call
>>> others an asshole? How can you breath with your snooty big ass head
>>> stuck so
>>> far up your pompus ass that we see **** stains in your eyes?
>>
>> --
>
> ---

Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. 'Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Ron Merts
August 10th 03, 07:22 AM
It's going to be soooo nice when the kiddies are back in school and they
don't have all this free time to waste posting space in the newsgroups.

Ron

"Steve" > wrote in message
> You're pretty tough behind that keyboard Strontium. By the way, what are
you
> going to do when your mummy finds out you post using bad language? Careful
> now... you don't want your privledges supended. Then you'll have to dust
off
> your blow up doll since you won't have anything else to jerk off to.
>

> "Strontium" > wrote in message
> > Blah.
> >
> > -
> > Soapm stood up at show-n-tell, in

> > > You really impress me. Really, you do. A person comes to a news group
> > > for advise. You give him a wrong answer because in your opion he has
> > > not earned the right to have the answer. Then you call others an
> > > asshole? How can you breath with your snooty big ass head stuck so
> > > far up your pompus ass that we see **** stains in your eyes?
> >
> > --
> > Strontium
> >
> > "It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. 'Cause every
> > now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit
> >

> ---

J.Clarke
September 14th 03, 04:11 PM
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:12:55 GMT
"Axis" > wrote:

> Actually the CMOS is the physical chip the BIOS is the software you
> can manipulate. All x86's have both.
>

> "Steve" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Who is the one with a stick up their butt? I was only inquiring what
> > mfgs don't let you into BIOS (CMOS for thos who think they know
> > everything).
> >
> > Sorry.... I'll be sure not to question your great knowledge ever
> > again
> >

> > "Strontium" > wrote in message
> > > I was referring to NEWBIES that don't know how to get into CMOS
> > > (BIOS
> for
> > > wannabe know-it-alls). So, your point, is moot. Of course BIOS
> > > (AKA
> CMOS
> > > FOR THOSE THAT KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT) is
> > > accessible. But, dependent on different mfg's, the key to be
> > > pressed to get in varies....SMARTASS.
> > >
> > > OH WAIT! I see that you are from Rochester, NY....That explains
> > > quite
> > > bit. I did research in upstate New York, back in `93. You East
> Coasters
> > > got sticks up your asses...Just my impression.
> > >
> > > Besides, OEM BIOS versions are total crap and really don't have
> > > any
> > options
> > > for the end user. So, accessing CMOS on a laptop (inherently
> proprietary)
> > > is useless, unless you just love looking at the time stamp.
> > >

> > > Want more of an answer, asshole?
> > >

> > > -
> > > Steve stood up at show-n-tell, in

> > > --
> > > Strontium
> > >
> > > "It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. 'Cause every
> > > now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit
> > >

> > ---

Since we're being pedantic here, the "CMOS" is the physical memory used
to store the "setup", which is a database maintained by the "BIOS" which
is software stored in the "ROM" or "EPROM" or "Flash memory" depending
on what your machine has.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Axis
September 14th 03, 05:12 PM
Actually the CMOS is the physical chip the BIOS is the software you can
manipulate. All x86's have both.

. ..