PDA

View Full Version : Re: TNT2 32 MB to old for new games??

Dave
August 5th 03, 02:28 AM
"bb" > wrote in message
k...
> I can not run new games like Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell. Can it
> really be true that I have to buy a new display adapter to play these
games
> in a hardware accelerated mode?

Yep, and depending on your system, that too...

> I did not count on a fantastic performance to can it really be true that
> some games won't work with this display adapter??

Not well enough for actual gameplay, unfortunately...was a good card in its
day, but its day is long gone...

> Johs

Hamman
August 5th 03, 06:10 PM
"bb" > wrote in message
k...
> I can not run new games like Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell. Can it
> really be true that I have to buy a new display adapter to play these
games
> in a hardware accelerated mode?
>
> I did not count on a fantastic performance to can it really be true that
> some games won't work with this display adapter??
>
> Johs

The real minimum for new games is roughly a GeForce 2 MX with a P3-700

MCheu
August 5th 03, 06:49 PM
On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 03:07:09 +0200, "bb" > wrote::

>I can not run new games like Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell. Can it
>really be true that I have to buy a new display adapter to play these games
>in a hardware accelerated mode?
>
>I did not count on a fantastic performance to can it really be true that
>some games won't work with this display adapter??
>
>Johs

Yup, in order to keep up with just the minimum reqs, you have to
upgrade pretty much every 2 (maybe 3 if you chose well) years. If you
chose something that's already obsolete at the time of purchase,
figure 2-6 months.

Most newer 3D accelerated games require T&L features which the TNT2
doesn't support. The bare minimum for RUNNING modern games would be a
GeForce2MX400 or the original GeForce. Even there, you'd be shutting
down features and still running slowly with the latest games.

If you want to run all the latest games at a minimum acceptable level,
you'd need at least 1GHz CPU, at least 128Megs of RAM, and a
GeForceFX5200 or a Radeon 8500. If you want the games to be at their
best, you'll need something a whole lot faster and more expensive than
that.
Thanks,

MCheu

dsgdag
August 7th 03, 03:58 PM
If you want to play all the games today you need, at minimum:
- 1Ghz Pentium or Athlon CPU
- 512mb ram
- 64mb DX 8 compliant gfx card (T&L on-chip)
But you still have to do some tweaking.

If you want to run smooth with all games and enjoy some eye-candy, add
256-512mb more ram and a 128mb DX 9 compliant gfx card. A 2Ghz P4 or
AthlonXP is nice when there is a lot of action on screen.

"bb" > wrote in message
k...
> I can not run new games like Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell. Can it
> really be true that I have to buy a new display adapter to play these
games
> in a hardware accelerated mode?
>
> I did not count on a fantastic performance to can it really be true that
> some games won't work with this display adapter??
>
> Johs

Simon Yee
August 10th 03, 04:46 PM
Remember to use 3dmark and test

the other day i had a machine running Leadtek 128 mb Nvidia GF4 and the RAM
on the motherboard is 512Mb

The bench mark ran and the numbers came to be 8000

Another day I ran another system Albatron 128 Mb Nvidia 5200 and RAM on the
motherboard is 128 Mb

Benchmark only show 3400.

How come ?

To me the problem is the ram on display card sucks using cheap ram is a
Crime and should be made a Crime.

Any Taiwanese, Korean, RAM brand is usable but when the ram is bad is really
bad.

And Talking about this Most of the cheapo power supply maker should forget
about making money because they cause the problem in the first place.

What do you guy and gals think ?

--
From Simon Yee

016-3950087