PDA

View Full Version : 44.03 driver issues?

Mr. Grinch
August 4th 03, 06:34 PM
System details:
Dual Boot Windows ME / Server 2003
Nvidia drivers 44.03
MSI Ti42008x
Tyan Tiger 100 S1832DL dual P3-800 Motherboard, 1GB ram, SBlive sound,
Promise 133/TX ATA controller, Compaq Netelligent nic.

System has been stable in the past, far as I can tell, but the problems
started when I rebuilt the system with Server 2003 and 44.03 drivers.

2003 by default sets the video performance slider turned right down. So I
push it to full acceleration, and turn on write combining. Then seemingly
at random I get these screen crashes. The system is still working, but the
screen is total gibberish, as if I'm using the wrong driver.

If I turn off write combining, everything works.

So it looks like I should either go back to 43.45 drivers or try the 45.20
drivers. I've been trying to download them from Guru3D but keep getting
gateway timeouts.

Anyone have details on what write combining actually does and how much
performance impact, if any, it would make?

Mr. Grinch
August 4th 03, 07:03 PM
Interesting note: I was browsing the storage newsgroup and found out
that some Promise controllers have dma conflicts with some Nvidia cards,
and turning off write combining sometimes fixes it.

I wonder if this is related to updating the Promise driver to their
latest one for 2003.

"Mr. Grinch" > wrote in
3.159:

> System details:
> Dual Boot Windows ME / Server 2003
> Nvidia drivers 44.03
> MSI Ti42008x
> Tyan Tiger 100 S1832DL dual P3-800 Motherboard, 1GB ram, SBlive sound,
> Promise 133/TX ATA controller, Compaq Netelligent nic.
>
> System has been stable in the past, far as I can tell, but the
> problems started when I rebuilt the system with Server 2003 and 44.03
> drivers.
>
> 2003 by default sets the video performance slider turned right down.
> So I push it to full acceleration, and turn on write combining. Then
> seemingly at random I get these screen crashes. The system is still
> working, but the screen is total gibberish, as if I'm using the wrong
> driver.
>
> If I turn off write combining, everything works.
>
> So it looks like I should either go back to 43.45 drivers or try the
> 45.20 drivers. I've been trying to download them from Guru3D but keep
> getting gateway timeouts.
>
> Anyone have details on what write combining actually does and how much
> performance impact, if any, it would make?

Mr. Grinch
August 5th 03, 07:19 AM
Yep, I definately have the latest bios, from Oct 2001. I'm thinking it
might have something with the promise driver or ntfs. I've run fat32
until now.

Thanks for the tip though!

JRS > wrote in
:

> I had an older duallie Tyan with the Athlon MP CPU's. Also had issues
> when write combining was on until a BIOS update came around from Tyan
> that resolved it. Have you checked the Tyan site for a newer mobo
> bios??
>

>>>Interesting note: I was browsing the storage newsgroup and found out
>>>that some Promise controllers have dma conflicts with some Nvidia
>>>cards, and turning off write combining sometimes fixes it.
>>>
>>>I wonder if this is related to updating the Promise driver to their
>>>latest one for 2003.
>>>

>>>"Mr. Grinch" > wrote in
3.159: