PDA

View Full Version : Q: PCI system - whats is the best card I can get?

RH
July 31st 03, 01:32 AM
I have a system with only PCI slots (the AGP is taken up with the built in
VGA on the MB).
What would you recommend I get in the way of a 3D card? I don't mind paying
$$ for a good card. Whats the best one I could get?
Or... would I be better just getting an AGP MB and an AGP card?

Rob.

Ron Merts
July 31st 03, 07:23 AM
You mean your mobo won't disable the onboard AGP video when you plug in an
AGP video card? YUK! I have seen GeForce MX 440 models and even a FX 5200
for PCI; but most of the upper-end cards are going to require you to be able
to use AGP.

Ron

"RH" > wrote in message
> I have a system with only PCI slots (the AGP is taken up with the built in
> VGA on the MB).
> What would you recommend I get in the way of a 3D card? I don't mind
paying
> $$ for a good card. Whats the best one I could get?
> Or... would I be better just getting an AGP MB and an AGP card?
>
> Rob.

First of One
August 3rd 03, 12:35 AM
It might be a good idea to look for a new MB. I routinely see ECS boards
(e.g. the K7S5A for the Athlon) selling for $50.

--
First of One, Primary Adjunctive Grid Alpha-01
Remove "NOT" from Email Address to Reply

"RH" > wrote in message
> I have a system with only PCI slots (the AGP is taken up with the built in
> VGA on the MB).
> What would you recommend I get in the way of a 3D card? I don't mind
paying
> $$ for a good card. Whats the best one I could get?
> Or... would I be better just getting an AGP MB and an AGP card?
>
> Rob.

mcmd
August 9th 03, 09:10 PM
Look here and read: