PDA

View Full Version : buying from US to Europe


Mario Kadastik
July 26th 03, 02:17 PM
Hello,

a bit OT, but has anyone experience in buying hardware from US while
being in Europe?

The price difference is huge, but most companies who sell cheaper cards
offer it for U.S. addresses only.

For example the only FX5900 card I found for sale here in Estonia is
Leadtek FX 5900 A350 TDH for around $520 (converted to US $). From
pricewatch the same card came up for $372.

Does the price difference of $150 give me enough reason to start
organizing a way to buy it or will it in the end make out approximately
the same price? Also a thought about RMA in case the card is buggy as
then I'd have to pay the shipping all over again ;)

Mario

John Russell
July 26th 03, 03:16 PM
"Mario Kadastik" > wrote in message
...
> Hello,
>
> a bit OT, but has anyone experience in buying hardware from US while
> being in Europe?
>
> The price difference is huge, but most companies who sell cheaper cards
> offer it for U.S. addresses only.
>
> For example the only FX5900 card I found for sale here in Estonia is
> Leadtek FX 5900 A350 TDH for around $520 (converted to US $). From
> pricewatch the same card came up for $372.
>
> Does the price difference of $150 give me enough reason to start
> organizing a way to buy it or will it in the end make out approximately
> the same price? Also a thought about RMA in case the card is buggy as
> then I'd have to pay the shipping all over again ;)
>
> Mario
>

Try searching using a German search engine. German companies tend to convert
Doller prices to Euro without any markup. That's a lot better than UK
companies who just tend to swap the Dollar symbol for and leave the number
the same!

Clive
July 27th 03, 01:49 AM
In article >,
said...
> On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 16:17:22 +0300, In this world we created Mario
> Kadastik > wrote :
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >a bit OT, but has anyone experience in buying hardware from US while
> >being in Europe?
> >
> >The price difference is huge, but most companies who sell cheaper cards
> >offer it for U.S. addresses only.
> >
> >For example the only FX5900 card I found for sale here in Estonia is
> >Leadtek FX 5900 A350 TDH for around $520 (converted to US $). From
> >pricewatch the same card came up for $372.
> >
> >Does the price difference of $150 give me enough reason to start
> >organizing a way to buy it or will it in the end make out approximately
> >the same price? Also a thought about RMA in case the card is buggy as
> >then I'd have to pay the shipping all over again ;)
> >
> >Mario
>
> You will be hit with a customs charge as well as what pay and won't
> gain :(
>
>
>
>
Not always, the chances of it being inspected and thus taxed are pretty
low. Even with the tax its often cheaper.

The main factor apart from returning if faulty is the excessive postage
charges by US carriers to anywhere outside North America, thats if you
can find a decent supplier even willing to ship outside North America.
Most US suppliers either have decent price but wont post or will post
but charge so much you save very little if anything.

Thomas Andersson
July 27th 03, 10:20 PM
Mario Kadastik wrote:

> a bit OT, but has anyone experience in buying hardware from US while
> being in Europe?

Yes, my entire new computer is done that way (more or less).

> The price difference is huge, but most companies who sell cheaper
> cards offer it for U.S. addresses only.

The trick is to have someone you trust buy them there and ship them
privately to you marked as a gift (spare parts or something). even with
shiping there's a lot to be saved on most stuff).

> For example the only FX5900 card I found for sale here in Estonia is
> Leadtek FX 5900 A350 TDH for around $520 (converted to US $). From
> pricewatch the same card came up for $372.

One thing you have to think of though is the difference in standards between
USA and Europe (NTSC vs PAL, 115v vs 230v etc etc).

> Does the price difference of $150 give me enough reason to start
> organizing a way to buy it or will it in the end make out
> approximately the same price? Also a thought about RMA in case the
> card is buggy as then I'd have to pay the shipping all over again ;)

The RMA bit is the downer of the deal, but even with shiping there's plenty
of room for saving.

Best Wishes
Thomas

barefoots
July 28th 03, 07:20 PM
"Thomas Andersson" > wrote in
:

> Mario Kadastik wrote:
>
>> a bit OT, but has anyone experience in buying hardware from US while
>> being in Europe?
>
> Yes, my entire new computer is done that way (more or less).
>
>> The price difference is huge, but most companies who sell cheaper
>> cards offer it for U.S. addresses only.
>
> The trick is to have someone you trust buy them there and ship them
> privately to you marked as a gift (spare parts or something). even
> with shiping there's a lot to be saved on most stuff).
>
>> For example the only FX5900 card I found for sale here in Estonia is
>> Leadtek FX 5900 A350 TDH for around $520 (converted to US $). From
>> pricewatch the same card came up for $372.
>
> One thing you have to think of though is the difference in standards
> between USA and Europe (NTSC vs PAL, 115v vs 230v etc etc).

:-) i bought my ati video card pal standard in the US, i ask the sales man
for it he made a phone call and i had it the next day

>
>> Does the price difference of $150 give me enough reason to start
>> organizing a way to buy it or will it in the end make out
>> approximately the same price? Also a thought about RMA in case the
>> card is buggy as then I'd have to pay the shipping all over again ;)
>
> The RMA bit is the downer of the deal, but even with shiping there's
> plenty of room for saving.
>
> Best Wishes
> Thomas
>
>
>
>

Barefoots