PDA

View Full Version : Two PCs one monitor how easy is this ?>?>??

Live For The One Die For The One
July 23rd 03, 05:19 AM
Just a monitor switch ??.

I'am going to get another monitor but not just yet.

Just want to use the other PC as well and don't want to unplug the
monitor ect ect to use it.

Can you explain how easy it is to do what i want.

Thanks (:

Biz
July 23rd 03, 05:24 AM
You just need a simple KVM switch, they come in 2 pcs to up to 8/10 pcs in the simple models that I
have seen.
--
Biz

"Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand
alloys and compositions and,......things with molecular structures,....and
the....." - Ash

"Live For The One Die For The One" > wrote in message

> Just a monitor switch ??.
>
> I'am going to get another monitor but not just yet.
>
> Just want to use the other PC as well and don't want to unplug the
> monitor ect ect to use it.
>
> Can you explain how easy it is to do what i want.
>
> Thanks (:

Kadett
July 23rd 03, 01:59 PM
"Live For The One Die For The One" > wrote
in message ...

> Just a monitor switch ??.
>
> I'am going to get another monitor but not just yet.
>
> Just want to use the other PC as well and don't want to unplug the
> monitor ect ect to use it.
>
> Can you explain how easy it is to do what i want.
>
> Thanks (:

Well it's easy, either a KVM-switch (normaly best but coast more) or
some software like Terminalservice (part of Win2K and later if my memory
don't fails) or VNC (exists for both Linux and Windows works well and
it's free).

There other software solutions to but a hardware KVM is in general the
best solution.

1 with KVM-switch plug in one monitor, one mouse & one Keyboard to the
switch, connect the switch out-ports to Keyboard/Video/Mouse to the
portgs on the computer. in some cases You has to push a button on the
switch to switch computer, in other switches just use a key-kombination
on the keyboard

2 Software,
With TerminalService, install the servise on the secondary puter and
install the klient on your main machine, the TS-klient lists all
TS-service-servers on your subnet, just pick the one you gonna admin/use
and loggon.

With VNC install the service on the secondary computer , open the klient
in the first and connect to a computer via IP-no or DNS/NetBios-name.
(It's crossplattformed and works with both Windows and Linux systems
don't know about MacOS?)

In both cases you will be able to see the remotecomputers screen and use
it as if you was connected straight to it.

Just test what works best for you hardware KVMs or remote-computing
software.

--
Johan

marco r.
July 24th 03, 09:25 AM
"Live For The One Die For The One" > ha
scritto nel messaggio ...

> Just a monitor switch ??.
>
> I'am going to get another monitor but not just yet.

my monitor has 2 vga input.. i simply can switch with a button.... :|

iiyama HM204DT

mmartins
July 24th 03, 06:21 PM
"Live For The One Die For The One" > wrote in
message ...

> Just a monitor switch ??.
>
> I'am going to get another monitor but not just yet.
>
> Just want to use the other PC as well and don't want to unplug the
> monitor ect ect to use it.
>
> Can you explain how easy it is to do what i want.
>
> Thanks (:

I had a simple KVM switch installed between two computers but had to stop
using it for video because the two signals interfere with each other,
causing an irritating "ghost" effect onscreen

Can someone recommend a good model/make that doesn't do this?

TIA

Biz
July 25th 03, 02:50 AM
"mmartins" > wrote in message ...
> "Live For The One Die For The One" > wrote in
> message ...
> >

> > Just a monitor switch ??.
> >
> > I'am going to get another monitor but not just yet.
> >
> > Just want to use the other PC as well and don't want to unplug the
> > monitor ect ect to use it.
> >
> > Can you explain how easy it is to do what i want.
> >
> > Thanks (:
> >

> I had a simple KVM switch installed between two computers but had to stop
> using it for video because the two signals interfere with each other,
> causing an irritating "ghost" effect onscreen
>
> Can someone recommend a good model/make that doesn't do this?
>
> TIA

Belkin.

All the belkins I have used also keep the signal on the mouse and kb switches live all the time so
none of the machines have mouse/kb issues that way. Belkins are the only ones I ever buy, since
they always work perfectly with any pc I've ever attached to one.
--
Biz

"Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand
alloys and compositions and,......things with molecular structures,....and
the....." - Ash

mmartins
July 25th 03, 07:42 PM
"Biz" > wrote in message

> "mmartins" > wrote in message
> > "Live For The One Die For The One" > wrote
in
> > message ...
> > >

> > > Just a monitor switch ??.
> > >
> > > I'am going to get another monitor but not just yet.
> > >
> > > Just want to use the other PC as well and don't want to unplug the
> > > monitor ect ect to use it.
> > >
> > > Can you explain how easy it is to do what i want.
> > >
> > > Thanks (:
> > >

> > I had a simple KVM switch installed between two computers but had to
stop
> > using it for video because the two signals interfere with each other,
> > causing an irritating "ghost" effect onscreen
> >
> > Can someone recommend a good model/make that doesn't do this?
> >
> > TIA
> >

> Belkin.
>
> All the belkins I have used also keep the signal on the mouse and kb
switches live all the time so
> none of the machines have mouse/kb issues that way. Belkins are the only
ones I ever buy, since
> they always work perfectly with any pc I've ever attached to one.
> --
> Biz

thanks, i'll give them a look