PDA

View Full Version : Which 1 G4ti4800 or 4600 of fx5800

Andrew Poyser
July 22nd 03, 06:07 PM
I m really miffed on what G/F card to get? i used to be up on it quite well
a then all of a sudden loads have come out and i dont know which one to get.
out of this selection:

Ge-force4 4800ti or 4600ti or 4200
fx 5600,5900

now i now there are differet manufacturers out there also so which one will
be the best perfomance to pounds (sterling) or any other currency for that
matter bound to sell it in the UK.

thanks advance... :-)

Keith Clark
July 22nd 03, 06:12 PM
Andrew Poyser wrote:

> I m really miffed on what G/F card to get? i used to be up on it quite well
> a then all of a sudden loads have come out and i dont know which one to get.
> out of this selection:
>
> Ge-force4 4800ti or 4600ti or 4200
> fx 5600,5900
>
> now i now there are differet manufacturers out there also so which one will
> be the best perfomance to pounds (sterling) or any other currency for that
> matter bound to sell it in the UK.
>
> thanks advance... :-)

Try checking out the VGA card roundup on Tom's Hardware. It helped me decide
which one to get just a couple of days ago.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030714/index.html

--Keith

Jerome Morrow
July 23rd 03, 12:10 PM
It also really depends on the current system you have. If your CPU and mb
and RAM and powersupply etc etc etc are a few years old - getting the latest
cards may not be so good.

I choose a Asus Geforce4Ti 4800 because it wasn't that expensive - UK90
quid.

Its proven technology - all the bugs have been ironed out already and the
games that will take advantage of the FX series won't be out until a few
years or so - well there's Half-Life2 lol - when I would upgrade the whole
system anyhow.

grrrpoop
July 24th 03, 05:49 AM
"Jerome Morrow" > wrote in message
> It also really depends on the current system you have. If your CPU and mb
> and RAM and powersupply etc etc etc are a few years old - getting the
latest
> cards may not be so good.
>
> I choose a Asus Geforce4Ti 4800 because it wasn't that expensive - UK90
> quid.
>
> Its proven technology - all the bugs have been ironed out already and the
> games that will take advantage of the FX series won't be out until a few
> years or so - well there's Half-Life2 lol - when I would upgrade the whole
> system anyhow.

Where did you find a Ti4800 for 90...? Was is a Ti4800SE?

Jerome Morrow
July 24th 03, 02:06 PM
Its a Geforce4Ti 4800SE ASUS V9480/TVD

I bought it in Australia for A$280 (includes GST tax). I'm not too sure what
the exact conversion rate is at the moment.

I've seen other stores sell them for $40 less but it might not include the
GST price.

(On a side issue - the fan makes a bit of noise at boot-up but quiets down
after a minute or so. I'm suppose to return it back to the shop but the
buggers say they won't exchange it - only sent it back to ASUS. But its
still under warrenty for one full year so I might as well see how it goes
for another six months. If it continues I'd return it)

NaTaS
July 27th 03, 05:50 PM
i have a ti4800 and like it for the speed, but if you are buying now, look
towards the fx line so that you won't be upgrading again soon. the fx line
supports direct x 9, and the ti4800 and lower don't.

also try to avoid pny as your manufacturer, i have had nothing but trouble
with them, i bought because of the lifetime warranty, didn't think i would
have to take them up on it 3 times now in a 1 1/2 years.

card runs great for about 3 - 4 months then start having problems with image
tear, extra polygons, wierd red symbols on desktop and even in the dos
screens, so just a helpful hint from me.

James

"Andrew Poyser" > wrote in message
> I m really miffed on what G/F card to get? i used to be up on it quite
well
> a then all of a sudden loads have come out and i dont know which one to
get.
> out of this selection:
>
> Ge-force4 4800ti or 4600ti or 4200
> fx 5600,5900
>
> now i now there are differet manufacturers out there also so which one
will
> be the best perfomance to pounds (sterling) or any other currency for that
> matter bound to sell it in the UK.
>
> thanks advance... :-)

The Robot
July 28th 03, 06:07 PM
"NaTaS" > wrote in message
> i have a ti4800 and like it for the speed, but if you are buying now, look
> towards the fx line so that you won't be upgrading again soon. the fx
line
> supports direct x 9, and the ti4800 and lower don't.

Dunno about that. $ for $, the best value at the moment is the Ti4200.

If you get an MSI, their new TOPTech cooling is superb for overclocking it,
if you want.

The only decent FX cards are the 5600Ultras and above, and these are way too
expensive for what you get, compared with ATI.