PDA

View Full Version : New NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 makes Sound card choppy at boot-up. HELP!

Dunny Rummy
July 21st 03, 02:28 AM
Just bought a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200. My previous was a GeForce 2 TI.
At boot up the window's sound is choppy while windows is loading. This
problem I never had with the previous Vid card. My sound card is a
Creative SoundBlaster Live 5.1.
Aslo does BUS mastering play a role (new card doesnt feature this)

Other info:
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+1.54GHz
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
768 DDR

Dave
July 21st 03, 06:20 AM
Why don't you remove the SB Live and use the onboard Soundstorm. I'll bet
that will be a good work around.
Dave

"Dunny Rummy" > wrote in message
> Just bought a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200. My previous was a GeForce 2 TI.
> At boot up the window's sound is choppy while windows is loading. This
> problem I never had with the previous Vid card. My sound card is a
> Creative SoundBlaster Live 5.1.
> Aslo does BUS mastering play a role (new card doesnt feature this)
>
> Other info:
> AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+1.54GHz
> ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
> 768 DDR

S3Trio
July 21st 03, 06:56 AM
I just added a PNY nVidia Geforce4 MX440se a few weeks ago and I am having
the same exact problem. It only lasts for about 2 or 3 seconds. Any one know
why? Is their an issue with the chip sets?

S3

"Dunny Rummy" > wrote in message
> Just bought a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200. My previous was a GeForce 2 TI.
> At boot up the window's sound is choppy while windows is loading. This
> problem I never had with the previous Vid card. My sound card is a
> Creative SoundBlaster Live 5.1.
> Aslo does BUS mastering play a role (new card doesnt feature this)
>
> Other info:
> AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+1.54GHz
> ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
> 768 DDR

S3Trio
July 21st 03, 06:59 AM
I forgot to mention I also have the SB live 5.1 sound card.

S3

"S3Trio" *spam> wrote in message
> I just added a PNY nVidia Geforce4 MX440se a few weeks ago and I am having
> the same exact problem. It only lasts for about 2 or 3 seconds. Any one
know
> why? Is their an issue with the chip sets?
>
> S3
>

> "Dunny Rummy" > wrote in message
> > Just bought a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200. My previous was a GeForce 2 TI.
> > At boot up the window's sound is choppy while windows is loading. This
> > problem I never had with the previous Vid card. My sound card is a
> > Creative SoundBlaster Live 5.1.
> > Aslo does BUS mastering play a role (new card doesnt feature this)
> >
> > Other info:
> > AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+1.54GHz
> > ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
> > 768 DDR

Ron Merts
July 21st 03, 09:53 AM
Look and see, and I'll bet you'll find the soundcard is on the same
interrupt (IRQ) as the Video card. If not, make sure you have the latest
chipset drivers and drivers for the video and sound cards. You should not
be getting choppy sound on a SB Live 5.1 card with any video card unless
something is interferring with the interrupt. Your onboard audio is likely
to be worse on the choppy sound.

Ron

"Dunny Rummy" > wrote in message
> Just bought a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200. My previous was a GeForce 2 TI.
> At boot up the window's sound is choppy while windows is loading. This
> problem I never had with the previous Vid card. My sound card is a
> Creative SoundBlaster Live 5.1.
> Aslo does BUS mastering play a role (new card doesnt feature this)
>
> Other info:
> AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+1.54GHz
> ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
> 768 DDR

Ross Snowden
July 21st 03, 01:58 PM
Yes, I believe it's a known issue on the MS database. I had the same
problem when I installed the newest drivers for the GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (so
it's not just your model). Roll back to a previous driver, and the problem
will go away.

RS

"Dunny Rummy" > wrote in message
> Just bought a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200. My previous was a GeForce 2 TI.
> At boot up the window's sound is choppy while windows is loading. This
> problem I never had with the previous Vid card. My sound card is a
> Creative SoundBlaster Live 5.1.
> Aslo does BUS mastering play a role (new card doesnt feature this)
>
> Other info:
> AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+1.54GHz
> ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
> 768 DDR

S3Trio
July 21st 03, 03:33 PM
After I installed my card the next day or so I did update the driver through
"Windows Update" their was an updated driver listed. Think I will roll back
the driver and see what happens.

S3

"Ross Snowden" > wrote in message
> Yes, I believe it's a known issue on the MS database. I had the same
> problem when I installed the newest drivers for the GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (so
> it's not just your model). Roll back to a previous driver, and the
problem
> will go away.
>
> RS
>

> "Dunny Rummy" > wrote in message
> > Just bought a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200. My previous was a GeForce 2 TI.
> > At boot up the window's sound is choppy while windows is loading. This
> > problem I never had with the previous Vid card. My sound card is a
> > Creative SoundBlaster Live 5.1.
> > Aslo does BUS mastering play a role (new card doesnt feature this)
> >
> > Other info:
> > AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+1.54GHz
> > ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
> > 768 DDR

Strontium
July 21st 03, 07:32 PM
It has nothing to do with IRQ's. Get rid of the latest nVidia driver, as
other posters have stated. 41.09 is a good choice.

-
Dunny Rummy stood up, at show-n-tell in

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

S3Trio
July 21st 03, 10:17 PM
I rolled back the driver with no change. It still chatters for 2 or three
seconds on boot. I will check the interrupt.

S3

"S3Trio" *spam> wrote in message
> After I installed my card the next day or so I did update the driver
through
> "Windows Update" their was an updated driver listed. Think I will roll
back
> the driver and see what happens.
>
> S3
>

> "Ross Snowden" > wrote in message
> > Yes, I believe it's a known issue on the MS database. I had the same
> > problem when I installed the newest drivers for the GeForce2 MX/MX 400
(so
> > it's not just your model). Roll back to a previous driver, and the
> problem
> > will go away.
> >
> > RS
> >

> > "Dunny Rummy" > wrote in message
> > > Just bought a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200. My previous was a GeForce 2 TI.
> > > At boot up the window's sound is choppy while windows is loading. This
> > > problem I never had with the previous Vid card. My sound card is a
> > > Creative SoundBlaster Live 5.1.
> > > Aslo does BUS mastering play a role (new card doesnt feature this)
> > >
> > > Other info:
> > > AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+1.54GHz
> > > ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
> > > 768 DDR

Strontium
July 22nd 03, 12:41 AM
Check it, all you want. NT-based OS's do not use IRQ's.

-
S3Trio stood up, at show-n-tell in

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Dave
July 22nd 03, 12:52 AM
Huh? Oh no. There goes all your credibility. Gone in one sentence.
Dave

"Strontium" > wrote in message
> Check it, all you want. NT-based OS's do not use IRQ's.
>

> -
> S3Trio stood up, at show-n-tell in
> and said:
>
> > I rolled back the driver with no change. It still chatters for 2 or
> > three seconds on boot. I will check the interrupt.
> >
> > S3
> >

> > "S3Trio" *spam> wrote in message
> >> After I installed my card the next day or so I did update the driver
> >> through "Windows Update" their was an updated driver listed. Think I
> >> will roll back the driver and see what happens.
> >>
> >> S3

> --
> Strontium
>
> "It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
> now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Strontium
July 22nd 03, 12:54 AM
You might try reading up, a bit. This has been known, since the advent of
Windows 2000.

-
Dave stood up, at show-n-tell in and
said:

> Huh? Oh no. There goes all your credibility. Gone in one sentence.
> Dave
>
> "Strontium" > wrote in message
>> Check it, all you want. NT-based OS's do not use IRQ's.
>>

>> -
>> S3Trio stood up, at show-n-tell in
>> and said:
>>
>>> I rolled back the driver with no change. It still chatters for 2 or
>>> three seconds on boot. I will check the interrupt.
>>>
>>> S3

>> --
>> Strontium
>>
>> "It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
>> now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Strontium
July 22nd 03, 12:59 AM
You shouldn't be using MS's driver, in the first place. Got to
www.guru3d.com and get detonators version 41.09. If that does not solve
your stuttering..../shrug.

-

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Dunny Rummy
July 22nd 03, 03:34 AM
The .inf file lists several models but doesn't specifically say
GeForce FX 5200

and said:

>>> Should I manually set the IRQs? What's the best way to do this (I've
>>> always allowed IRQs to be automatically assigned)?
>>> Another question is how does the GeForce FX 52 stack up against my old
>>> GeForce 2TI? At a glance I see some features the geforce 2TI didn't
>>> offer like pixel shading. Also when I benchmark it with 3Dmark it
>>> barely kicks over 10FPS :(((. So I'm debating on weather I should take
>>> it back and spend a little more on the GeForce FX 5600. Comments
>>> please!

Dunny Rummy
July 22nd 03, 03:45 AM
This part is true: uninstalling the drivers that came with the GeForce
FX 5200 solves the stuttering at boot time but then I have no drivers.
If 41.09 doesn't support GeForce FX 5200 then what other ways can I
resolve this? TIA!

and said:

>>> After I installed my card the next day or so I did update the driver
>>> through "Windows Update" their was an updated driver listed. Think I
>>> will roll back the driver and see what happens.
>>>
>>> S3

Dunny Rummy
July 22nd 03, 03:46 PM
Diagnoses: Too many recourses being used at start up (GeForce FX 5200
uses a lot of resources)

Solution: Start\run Type MSCONFIG click "start up" tab file untick
unnecessary items that load on start up.

Results: Stuttering disappears!

Dunny Rummy
July 22nd 03, 03:54 PM
BTW....Im using the 44.03_win2kxp nVIDIA drivers too!

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:46:46 GMT, Dunny Rummy > wrote:

>Diagnoses: Too many recourses being used at start up (GeForce FX 5200
>uses a lot of resources)
>
>Solution: Start\run Type MSCONFIG click "start up" tab file untick
>unnecessary items that load on start up.
>
>Results: Stuttering disappears!

Dave
July 26th 03, 12:54 AM
All x86 motherboards have IRQs. It's a funtion of the hardware not the OS.
An OS like Windows can have the ability to view these resources and also to
control them. This all depends on how the motherboard cmos options are set
and if the devices are plug-n-play compatible.

Dave