PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth getting a FX5900 if I have a ti4600 with this computer?

mega
July 20th 03, 05:18 PM
Ok, my computer is a 2 year old p4 1.7. I have a GeForce 4600. I'm wondering
if it is worth buying the latest and greatest graphic card or not. All the
benchmarks I've seen show the card running on high end systems
(understandably) but that doesn't help me out. I don't want to spend another
1500 to 2000 on a new computer for at least another year or so but I'd like
to be able to play some of the newer games like SWG with at least some of
the settings higher than zero. Anyone running the card on an older system?
Is it worth the money to upgrade or should I just sit with what I have until
I can buy a whole new computer (again, in a year to two years)? Any thoughts
would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

mega

Paul Greer
July 20th 03, 06:12 PM
It depends on personal preference. I plan to be running a GF4MX440 until the
beginning of Q2 next year. I know that all my games will be run with no
detail at all, but I'll be buying a really top of the range PC so I'm
willing to make the sacrafice for a few months. I would have thought a
Ti4600 would be able to keep up for another year. If you're satisfied with
your games now then why not wait and then get a 5900 for less in a few
months.

"mega" > wrote in message
> Ok, my computer is a 2 year old p4 1.7. I have a GeForce 4600. I'm
wondering
> if it is worth buying the latest and greatest graphic card or not. All the
> benchmarks I've seen show the card running on high end systems
> (understandably) but that doesn't help me out. I don't want to spend
another
> 1500 to 2000 on a new computer for at least another year or so but I'd
like
> to be able to play some of the newer games like SWG with at least some of
> the settings higher than zero. Anyone running the card on an older system?
> Is it worth the money to upgrade or should I just sit with what I have
until
> I can buy a whole new computer (again, in a year to two years)? Any
thoughts
> would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> mega

Flow
July 20th 03, 06:33 PM
Better spend yer money on a newer p4 starting from 2.4ghz and up
with a fsb800 mainboard i875 chipset.
This mainboard gives enough upgradability for the near future and im
Your p4 1.7 is a slow cpu.

"mega" > schreef in bericht
> Ok, my computer is a 2 year old p4 1.7. I have a GeForce 4600. I'm
wondering
> if it is worth buying the latest and greatest graphic card or not. All the
> benchmarks I've seen show the card running on high end systems
> (understandably) but that doesn't help me out. I don't want to spend
another
> 1500 to 2000 on a new computer for at least another year or so but I'd
like
> to be able to play some of the newer games like SWG with at least some of
> the settings higher than zero. Anyone running the card on an older system?
> Is it worth the money to upgrade or should I just sit with what I have
until
> I can buy a whole new computer (again, in a year to two years)? Any
thoughts
> would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> mega

Graham Hoyle
July 21st 03, 09:24 AM
You know this is a thin edge of the wedge question don`t you?
If you did buy a the card you`d be wondering how much better
it would be if you had an 8X AGP Motherboard. So you have
to get one of those, then of course you`d worry about the
crap CPU you`re left with so you`d have to get a new one of
those. Oh and that slow old memory... better change that too.

there you are...New PC. Two months later and Nvidia brings out
the FXXS6000 Geforce 10 16xAGP Ultra Deluxe and you are
back where you started.

Go for the new PC in a couple of years option.

Timothy Drouillard
July 21st 03, 11:00 PM
I have a 3.2gig P4 on a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP board that I had been running a
Geforce4TI4600.

The other day I saw a FX5900Ultra in the local CompUSA and couldn't stop
myself.

There is indeed quite a difference in the 3D picture quality. Awesome.

I can turn all the bells and whistles on such as 8XAA, etc, and still get
better FPS than on the TI4600.

BTW, 3Dmark2003 scores went from 1750 with the TI4600, to 6100 with the
FX5900Ultra.

"Graham Hoyle" > wrote in message
> You know this is a thin edge of the wedge question don`t you?
> If you did buy a the card you`d be wondering how much better
> it would be if you had an 8X AGP Motherboard. So you have
> to get one of those, then of course you`d worry about the
> crap CPU you`re left with so you`d have to get a new one of
> those. Oh and that slow old memory... better change that too.
>
> there you are...New PC. Two months later and Nvidia brings out
> the FXXS6000 Geforce 10 16xAGP Ultra Deluxe and you are
> back where you started.
>
> Go for the new PC in a couple of years option.

678
July 22nd 03, 03:48 AM
Graham Hoyle wrote:
> [snip]
>
> there you are...New PC. Two months later and Nvidia brings out
> the FXXS6000 Geforce 10 16xAGP Ultra Deluxe
> [sbip]

Please, please, when will it come out? :-)

Timothy Drouillard
July 22nd 03, 08:06 AM
Some people might even think you were joking.

you wern't were you??

"Graham Hoyle" > wrote in message
.. .
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > there you are...New PC. Two months later and Nvidia brings out
> > > the FXXS6000 Geforce 10 16xAGP Ultra Deluxe
> > > [sbip]
> >
> > Please, please, when will it come out? :-)
>

> So glad you picked up on that one! Thought I`d have to
> write it myself !! ;o)

678
July 22nd 03, 09:10 AM
Timothy Drouillard wrote:
> Some people might even think you were joking.
>
> you wern't were you??

Of course he wasn't. I heard there would be a F-XXX-6000Ultrahardcore, too.

> "Graham Hoyle" > wrote in message
> .. .

>>>Please, please, when will it come out? :-)
>>

>>So glad you picked up on that one! Thought I`d have to
>>write it myself !! ;o)

Timothy Drouillard
July 22nd 03, 09:35 AM
with my luck that'll nedd the new 3 jigawatt power supply, and all I have is
a 2.5.

Will it be backward compatible with my Gigabyte GA-8knxp MB?
"678" > wrote in message

> Timothy Drouillard wrote:
> > Some people might even think you were joking.
> >
> > you wern't were you??
>
> Of course he wasn't. I heard there would be a F-XXX-6000Ultrahardcore,
too.

> > "Graham Hoyle" > wrote in message
> > .. .

> >>So glad you picked up on that one! Thought I`d have to
> >>write it myself !! ;o)

Darthy
July 22nd 03, 12:55 PM
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 02:48:51 GMT, 678 > wrote:

>Graham Hoyle wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> there you are...New PC. Two months later and Nvidia brings out
>> the FXXS6000 Geforce 10 16xAGP Ultra Deluxe
> > [sbip]
>
>Please, please, when will it come out? :-)

Er never... AGP is dead by 2005 - Considering that AGP-8x is perhaps
about 1% better than AGP-4x :)

but with this fantasy...

The All new Nut-sack exploding Nvidia GPU!!!

The Nvidia GeForce SFX-G8 8900 Ultra Pro with 1GB of DDR-III RAM!

Finally, DOOM3 has hit 100fps!

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Live For The One Die For The One
July 23rd 03, 04:53 AM
I'am happy with my Geforce Ti 200 and see no reason to upgrade yet,
maybe the next BIG thing in graphics cards, Radeon 10,000 ?

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 17:12:28 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Greer"