PDA

View Full Version : Re: best geforce card manufacturer?

pete
July 20th 03, 01:50 AM
Stability=Asus

"NaTaS" > wrote in message

> i spent a crap load of money on a pny ti4600 within weeks of its release.
> liking the idea of the lifetime warranty is why i chose PNY. well guess
> what i am sick of this manufacturer. Since i got the card i have had to
> send it back 3 times for replacement. i have used it in 2 different
> systems, and it just doesn't hold up. I do not overclock. but the first
> time, i got weird graphics in dos boot screens and then in the same spots
on
> the windows desktops, it would show red dots everywhere, the second time
> got wierd "extra" polygons everywhere shooting across the screen in 3d
> games, now it is giving me errors and seems like it is slowing down like
> heat issue, the fan is working fine.. but i just can't figure it out..
each
> time, i pulled the card out, and put my old trusty creative labs geforce 2
> in and it runs great. The damn pny card only lasts about 3 months and
then
> it starts acting wierd..
>
> my question to the group is. i am ready to upgrade to a new company, i
have
> had it with pny, does anyone know of a good geforce manufacturer.. i do
not
> want to turn to the darkside "ati".
>
> who has the best warrantys, tech support, stability. I like stable, no
> problems. i don't overclock anything.
>
> thanx in advance
> James Johnson

Eddie
July 20th 03, 02:24 AM
Try MSI, seems ok and their on-line support is very prompt and helpful.

Eddie

"NaTaS" > wrote in message

> i spent a crap load of money on a pny ti4600 within weeks of its release.
> liking the idea of the lifetime warranty is why i chose PNY. well guess
> what i am sick of this manufacturer. Since i got the card i have had to
> send it back 3 times for replacement. i have used it in 2 different
> systems, and it just doesn't hold up. I do not overclock. but the first
> time, i got weird graphics in dos boot screens and then in the same spots
on
> the windows desktops, it would show red dots everywhere, the second time
> got wierd "extra" polygons everywhere shooting across the screen in 3d
> games, now it is giving me errors and seems like it is slowing down like
> heat issue, the fan is working fine.. but i just can't figure it out..
each
> time, i pulled the card out, and put my old trusty creative labs geforce 2
> in and it runs great. The damn pny card only lasts about 3 months and
then
> it starts acting wierd..
>
> my question to the group is. i am ready to upgrade to a new company, i
have
> had it with pny, does anyone know of a good geforce manufacturer.. i do
not
> want to turn to the darkside "ati".
>
> who has the best warrantys, tech support, stability. I like stable, no
> problems. i don't overclock anything.
>
> thanx in advance
> James Johnson

Strontium
July 20th 03, 06:16 AM
Asus is king! Great PCB's!

-

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Courseyauto
July 20th 03, 01:21 PM
Margetts stood up, at show-n-tell in and said:

> ive stuck with asus ever since their release of the TNT2 32meg card
> (V3800 deluxe)
> and currently have an Asus V8440 (Geforce4 ti4400)
> as long as you keep up with nVidia's driver updates everythings fine
> :-D "NaTaS" > wrote in message
>>
>> i spent a crap load of money on a pny ti4600 within weeks of its
>> release. liking the idea of the lifetime warranty is why i chose
>> PNY. well guess what i am sick of this manufacturer. Since i got
>> the card i have had to send it back 3 times for replacement. i have
>> used it in 2 different systems, and it just doesn't hold up. I do
>> not overclock. but the first time, i got weird graphics in dos boot
>> screens and then in the same spots on the windows desktops, it would
>> show red dots everywhere, the second time i got wierd "extra"
>> polygons everywhere shooting across the screen in 3d games, now it
>> is giving me errors and seems like it is slowing down like a heat
>> issue, the fan is working fine.. but i just can't figure it out..
>> each time, i pulled the card out, and put my old trusty creative
>> labs geforce 2 in and it runs great. The damn pny card only lasts
>> about 3 months and then it starts acting wierd..
>>
>> my question to the group is. i am ready to upgrade to a new
>> company, i have had it with pny, does anyone know of a good geforce
>> manufacturer.. i do not want to turn to the darkside "ati".
>>
>> who has the best warrantys, tech support, stability. I like stable,
>> no problems. i don't overclock anything.
>>
>> thanx in advance
>> James Johnson

Asus only has a 1 year warranty,Gainward has a 3 year
warranty.
The 5900 non utlra card from Gainward would be a good choice,Googlegear has
them for $382. DOUG

Keith Clark
July 20th 03, 05:54 PM
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:21:57 +0000, Courseyauto wrote:

> Asus only has a 1 year warranty,Gainward has a 3 year
> warranty.
> The 5900 non utlra card from Gainward would be a good choice,Googlegear has
> them for $382. DOUG

The FX5600-VTDR128 won "editor's choice" in a VGA card roundup at Toms
Hardware. You can get them for only $169 if you search on Pricewatch (I
found a good deal at http://www.gameve.com).

It's got a nearly silent fan (25DB), a remote control, video-in, and a TON
of bundled software (Duke Nukem Manhattan Project, Ghost Recon, and
others). There's cards out there that get higher benchmark scores, but for
the price and range of bundled software, it's still a fast card with a lot
of value for the price, in my opinion.

I don't quite have one yet although I'm very strongly considering this
card for an upgrade I'm doing.

--Keith

Eddie
July 20th 03, 10:45 PM
"Keith Clark" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:21:57 +0000, Courseyauto wrote:
>

> > Asus only has a 1 year warranty,Gainward has a 3
year
> > warranty.
> > The 5900 non utlra card from Gainward would be a good
choice,Googlegear has
> > them for $382. DOUG
>
> The FX5600-VTDR128 won "editor's choice" in a VGA card roundup at Toms
> Hardware. You can get them for only $169 if you search on Pricewatch (I
> found a good deal at http://www.gameve.com).
>
> It's got a nearly silent fan (25DB), a remote control, video-in, and a TON
> of bundled software (Duke Nukem Manhattan Project, Ghost Recon, and
> others). There's cards out there that get higher benchmark scores, but for
> the price and range of bundled software, it's still a fast card with a lot
> of value for the price, in my opinion.
>
> I don't quite have one yet although I'm very strongly considering this
> card for an upgrade I'm doing.
>
> --Keith

Beware, the remote only works with WIn XP.

Eddie