PDA

View Full Version : The endless loop issue again

Tex
July 18th 03, 10:05 PM
I'm having the same issue Steve, and yes I've said f*ck it many times.
My next card won't be Nvidia.

"news.cox.net" > wrote in message
.. .
> Ok i have been through it all with this system...
>
> OS = XP pro sp1a
> MSI K7N2
> XP 2600+
> 1 stick 512 mushkin 2700 DDR ram
> Bestdata TI 4200 64 mb
> Soundblaster live
>
> I have the classic "Endless loop" issue where the system would reboot
while
> playing games...
> OK, first i turned off the XP option to reboot automaticly on errors, this
> alowed me to see the BSOD that references NV4_disp.dll....
>
> i have tried all of the 4x.xx drivers out there. and although i no longer
> get the BSOD, i get dumped to my desktop so often, i cant even play most
> games more that 10 minutes.....
>
> I had this ti4200 in my last system
> XP pro
> msi k7t266pro-a
> XP 2000+
> and the same other componets as well....
>
> This was a ROCK SOLID STABLE system.....
>
> My point is i dont think its the vid card being physicaly bad.....
> now i have tried reverting my drivers back to the defualt Microsoft
> drivers....we are talking 2x.xx here...and this makes my system a lot more
> stable, but the games dont look nearly as good...
>
> My question is this.......has anyone gotten to the point i have with this
> issue and said F*ck it and bought a new vid card...has this fixed the
issue
> for you...which card did you get?
>
> Steve

news.cox.net
July 19th 03, 06:28 AM
[...]

Brendan
July 19th 03, 01:44 PM
If he only has 1 stick of memory, then he cant be using the dual channel
option. I think u should say "Are you..." instead of "You are...", sounds
like ur stating what they have or use, not asking a question.

Sounds like its a problem with ur mobo. Instead of getting a new vid card,
get a new mobo. Or more ram.

Brendan

"B" > wrote in message
> You are using dual DDR channel memory? You have the latest motherboard
> chipset drivers installed? You are using the videocard manufacturer's
> drivers? Some people here might disagree with me but to take full
advantage
> of the NVIDIA motherboard chipset it's best to have two slots of matched
> memory rather than 1 slot. At least from my personal experience that seems
> to work out the best.
>
> regards

> "news.cox.net" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > Ok i have been through it all with this system...
> >
> > OS = XP pro sp1a
> > MSI K7N2
> > XP 2600+
> > 1 stick 512 mushkin 2700 DDR ram
> > Bestdata TI 4200 64 mb
> > Soundblaster live
> >
> > I have the classic "Endless loop" issue where the system would reboot
> while
> > playing games...
> > OK, first i turned off the XP option to reboot automaticly on errors,
this
> > alowed me to see the BSOD that references NV4_disp.dll....
> >
> > i have tried all of the 4x.xx drivers out there. and although i no
longer
> > get the BSOD, i get dumped to my desktop so often, i cant even play most
> > games more that 10 minutes.....
> >
> > I had this ti4200 in my last system
> > XP pro
> > msi k7t266pro-a
> > XP 2000+
> > and the same other componets as well....
> >
> > This was a ROCK SOLID STABLE system.....
> >
> > My point is i dont think its the vid card being physicaly bad.....
> > now i have tried reverting my drivers back to the defualt Microsoft
> > drivers....we are talking 2x.xx here...and this makes my system a lot
more
> > stable, but the games dont look nearly as good...
> >
> > My question is this.......has anyone gotten to the point i have with
this
> > issue and said F*ck it and bought a new vid card...has this fixed the
> issue
> > for you...which card did you get?
> >
> > Steve

Trevor Marsh
July 20th 03, 09:32 AM
<snip>

Endless loop syndrome is generally down to a RAM problem rather than Vid
card, even if the error points to a part of the NVIDIA driver set. Download
and run Memtest86 from:-
http://www.memtest86.com/

It takes a while but will spot any potential problems with your RAM. (Far
more frequent than you might think)

HTH,

Trev

Trevor Marsh
July 20th 03, 11:31 PM
"The Thin Man" > wrote in message
> On this day of our lord, Sun, 20 Jul 2003 08:32:25 GMT, "Trevor Marsh"
> > quilled:
>
> ><snip>
> >

> >Endless loop syndrome is generally down to a RAM problem rather than Vid
> >card, even if the error points to a part of the NVIDIA driver set.
Download
> >and run Memtest86 from:-
> >http://www.memtest86.com/
> >
> >It takes a while but will spot any potential problems with your RAM. (Far
> >more frequent than you might think)
> >
> >HTH,
> >
> >Trev
>
> Not a mem issue usually. Inadequate voltage may be the culprit though.
> And yes, I have had to deal with this issue in the past.

I agree voltage settings are the most common culprit, but I wanted to
eliminate the obvious first. DDR voltage being miss-read by the BIOS when
in "auto" or "spd" mode can also be a factor.

Trev

BK24
July 23rd 03, 03:56 PM
I was dealing with exactly the same problem. Mine turned out to be a failing
power supply.