PDA

View Full Version : Re: A Computer Upgrade Query

Stephen Smith
July 18th 03, 08:13 PM
Jerome Morrow > said:

> Hello,
>
> Please accept my apologises if this question has been raised before.
>
> I have a PIII 850, Asus CUV4X PC133 AGP Pro/4X motherboard, 512MB RAM,
> Western Digital 40mb (8mb buffer) HD, and a Creative GF2MX 32 MB. I'm not
> too sure what kind of power supply I have. I also have a Soundblaster Live
> Value card and a cable broadband internet connection.
>
> One of my friends passed me a Asus GF4Ti 4800 graphics card - $165.
>
> Seems the CPU is too weak to handle the graphics card. Is it correct to
> say the new graphics card is an overkill? Should I return the GF4Ti and
> save up to upgrade the whole system?

I'm not too familiar with GF4's but "too weak"? What
circumstances/situations draw you to this conclusion? It's a bit vague.

I would have thought the CPU would be fine, maybe it's a PSU issue?

Not sure if this is a "fair" comparison, but for what it's worth, I've
successfully used a GF3 with a "slow" PII 400 system. (complete with a 250W
(!) PSU!)

Stephen.

KSlater
July 19th 03, 03:00 AM
Definitly not. Keep the card. The CPU may not use the full potential but the
whole idea with GF3+ is to ofload the Graphics proccessing from the CPU.
That is what Full Hardware means.

Cheers. Frank

Eddie
July 19th 03, 03:20 AM
I believe that the vid card is overkill for your sys. (and maybe your power
supply) Any GF2 would be fine.

Eddie