PDA

View Full Version : Geforce 4 Ti 4800SE 8

Kingpin
July 15th 03, 12:46 PM
Hi all,

Today I bought a Geforce 4 "Ti 4800SE 8 128 DDR" and I have installed it but
the fan on it is making a rather loud spinning noise. Is it supposed to do
this?

Reply soon...

Martin Eriksson
July 15th 03, 03:13 PM
"Kingpin" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi all,
>
> Today I bought a Geforce 4 "Ti 4800SE 8 128 DDR" and I have installed it
but
> the fan on it is making a rather loud spinning noise. Is it supposed to do
> this?

Depends on brand... the fans are one of the few things the manufacturers
still customize on nVidia boards.

My Ti4200 emits a noise just around the noise level of my hard drives.

/M

Dave
July 15th 03, 04:22 PM
Solder a 1k resistor (1/2 watt) in series with the red wire. That will
quiet it down.
Dave

"Kingpin" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi all,
>
> Today I bought a Geforce 4 "Ti 4800SE 8 128 DDR" and I have installed it
but
> the fan on it is making a rather loud spinning noise. Is it supposed to do
> this?
>
> Reply soon...

Sandy
July 16th 03, 12:03 AM
If the noise is loud and you're sure it's coming from the card, I would
request another card during the warranty period. I had the same experience,
and I wasn't sure if it was supposed to make such a noise or not. I
installed another card, and it was quiet, so I got another card. Haven't
had another problem. Sometimes the fans are just bad.

Gaffer
July 16th 03, 08:02 AM
"Sandy" > wrote in message
> If the noise is loud and you're sure it's coming from the card, I would
> request another card during the warranty period. I had the same
experience,
> and I wasn't sure if it was supposed to make such a noise or not. I
> installed another card, and it was quiet, so I got another card. Haven't
> had another problem. Sometimes the fans are just bad.

It must be the card because obviously the noise has just started happening
since it was installed.

Gaffer

J.Clarke
July 16th 03, 08:41 AM
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:02:50 +0100
"Gaffer" > wrote:

> "Sandy" > wrote in message
> > If the noise is loud and you're sure it's coming from the card, I
> > would request another card during the warranty period. I had the
> > same
> experience,
> > and I wasn't sure if it was supposed to make such a noise or not. I
> > installed another card, and it was quiet, so I got another card.
> > Haven't had another problem. Sometimes the fans are just bad.
> >

> It must be the card because obviously the noise has just started
> happening since it was installed.

Are you sure that you didn't manage to get a wire moved so that it's
touching the blades of one of the fans? That's easy to do when you
install a new board and it makes a quite remarkable racket.

> Gaffer

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)