PDA

View Full Version : Re: I know this has been asked.....BUT a question on Driver Removal

Derek Wildstar
July 14th 03, 11:53 PM
"Jay Sottolano" > wrote in message
> To all,
> I apologize in advance for asking what has been asked in the past, but
> before I muck up a perfectly good running XP Pro SP1 system, I'd at
> least like a fair shot at doing a driver upgrade with a fair shot at
> success. I used to just simply switch to VGA mode, uninstall the
> drivers, and install the new ones, but there are any number of utilities
> on GURU3D for removing traces and hints, and those "other" NVidia files,
> etc.
> I have and ASUS 9280TD (GF4 Ti4200) 8X AGP 128 running on ASUS 31.40
> drivers. I am interesting in the Omega 43.45s, or starting to try some
> of the 4x series drivers to obtain some better performance and 2D
> enhancements (Omega 43.45 seem to do that). So, what is the actual best
> technique for removing all traces of the 3x drivers before an upgrade?
> I appreciate, and promise to keep the answer on file!
>
> Jay S.

Do not use the Omega drivers for nvidia, he is no longer supporting them,
nor are they proven to be of superior merit.

It is no longer required to switch to VGA and reboot for driver removal,
merely set your desktop and other settings to be "VGA compatible" such as
640x480x16 and then uninstall the Detonator Suite via the uninstall routine.

There are "nvidia file removers" which can, in theory, clean up after an
uninstall, however, these are also of limited use. Simply install the latest
suite and expect trouble free operation.

Be aware of potential problems, but do not expect them, the Detonators are
well-behaved.

Yoshi Yakura
July 16th 03, 01:51 AM
On , "Derek Wildstar" > quilled:

>Do not use the Omega drivers for nvidia, he is no longer supporting them,
>nor are they proven to be of superior merit.

I have found they sometimes fix glitches in some games that the
standard set don't.

>It is no longer required to switch to VGA and reboot for driver removal,
>merely set your desktop and other settings to be "VGA compatible" such as
>640x480x16 and then uninstall the Detonator Suite via the uninstall routine.

Easiest way to do this on XP is press F8 during bootup and select VGA
mode.