PDA

View Full Version : DVD Playback and nVidia cards

Pepys
July 13th 03, 08:23 AM
Anyone know of a workaround for the problem of not being able to play DVDs
with the newer nVidia drivers?

Really ****ed off with nVidia et al with all this macrovision crap.

Appreciate any advice.

Rgds

Sam

Chris_News
July 13th 03, 09:16 AM
Try this:
http://www.maximusdvd.com/

"Pepys" > wrote in message
> Anyone know of a workaround for the problem of not being able to play DVDs
> with the newer nVidia drivers?
>
> Really ****ed off with nVidia et al with all this macrovision crap.
>
> Appreciate any advice.
>
> Rgds
>
> Sam

Aussie
July 13th 03, 02:11 PM
You must be &^(^%$ kidding me....Right....What ami watching then ?????

"Pepys" > wrote in message
> Anyone know of a workaround for the problem of not being able to play DVDs
> with the newer nVidia drivers?
>
> Really ****ed off with nVidia et al with all this macrovision crap.
>
> Appreciate any advice.

stop computing.....

> Rgds
>
> Sam

johndevoy
July 13th 03, 08:05 PM
I think he means with the tv out option.

July 14th 03, 06:28 AM
1-stop shoppong..... my dreams

Inglo
July 14th 03, 08:12 AM
johndevoy cam up with this on 7/13/2003 12:05 PM:

>I think he means with the tv out option.

This is not necessarily an nVidia problem, the TV decoder chips used on
certain cards, notably those made by VisionTek, are not equipped with
Macrovision. Therefore any attempt to play any DVD will fail with
certain drivers.
AFAICT the latest drivers(44.65+), the macrovision limitation seems to
be gone.

--
"Crazy way to travel, spreading a man's molecules all over the universe."

Steve [Inglo]

GeoW
July 14th 03, 08:48 AM
Inglo wrote:
> johndevoy cam up with this on 7/13/2003 12:05 PM:
>
>> I think he means with the tv out option.
>>

> This is not necessarily an nVidia problem, the TV decoder chips used
> on certain cards, notably those made by VisionTek, are not equipped
> with Macrovision. Therefore any attempt to play any DVD will fail
> with certain drivers.
> AFAICT the latest drivers(44.65+), the macrovision limitation seems to
> be gone.

That's good news, the "official" 44.03's on the Nvidia site still have the
problem, though I suppose anything over the 40.72's probably don't help a
GF3 ti200 much anyway.

Goose
July 14th 03, 01:07 PM
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 00:48:44 -0700, "GeoW" > wrote:

> Inglo wrote:
> > johndevoy cam up with this on 7/13/2003 12:05 PM:
> >
> >> I think he means with the tv out option.
> >>

> > This is not necessarily an nVidia problem, the TV decoder chips used
> > on certain cards, notably those made by VisionTek, are not equipped
> > with Macrovision. Therefore any attempt to play any DVD will fail
> > with certain drivers.
> > AFAICT the latest drivers(44.65+), the macrovision limitation seems to
> > be gone.
>
> That's good news, the "official" 44.03's on the Nvidia site still have the
> problem, though I suppose anything over the 40.72's probably don't help a
> GF3 ti200 much anyway.

Well I installed some DVD software (decrypters, codecs, etc.) and suddenly
got the macrovision problem when trying to view a DVD that had always worked
before (no TV-out connected). I checked on the nVidia site and it said to
make sure that I have the latest driver. I had 42.71 (I think) and so I
downloaded the latest from their site (44.03) and installed it. Hey presto!
No more macrovision problem.

I have a Gainward Ti-4800SE with VIVO.

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=3594#common2

GeoW
July 14th 03, 06:09 PM
Goose wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 00:48:44 -0700, "GeoW" > wrote:
>
>> Inglo wrote:
>>> AFAICT the latest drivers(44.65+), the macrovision limitation seems
>>> to be gone.
>>
>> That's good news, the "official" 44.03's on the Nvidia site still
>> have the problem, though I suppose anything over the 40.72's
>> probably don't help a GF3 ti200 much anyway.
>>

> Well I installed some DVD software (decrypters, codecs, etc.) and
> suddenly got the macrovision problem when trying to view a DVD that
> had always worked before (no TV-out connected). I checked on the
> nVidia site and it said to make sure that I have the latest driver. I
> had 42.71 (I think) and so I downloaded the latest from their site
> (44.03) and installed it. Hey presto! No more macrovision problem.
>
> I have a Gainward Ti-4800SE with VIVO.
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=3594#common2

It's probably different for different cards. The GF3 ti200 uses a Conextant
BT868 for TV out. The latest driver I can use without 3rd party intervention
is the 40.72's, and I've tried them all. It would be nice if Nvidia just let
us disable the TV-out in setup somewhere so it wouldn't be an issue.

Keith Clark
July 14th 03, 06:24 PM
GeoW wrote:

> > Well I installed some DVD software (decrypters, codecs, etc.) and
> > suddenly got the macrovision problem when trying to view a DVD that
> > had always worked before (no TV-out connected). I checked on the
> > nVidia site and it said to make sure that I have the latest driver. I
> > had 42.71 (I think) and so I downloaded the latest from their site
> > (44.03) and installed it. Hey presto! No more macrovision problem.
> >
> > I have a Gainward Ti-4800SE with VIVO.
> >
> > http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=3594#common2
>
> It's probably different for different cards. The GF3 ti200 uses a Conextant
> BT868 for TV out. The latest driver I can use without 3rd party intervention
> is the 40.72's, and I've tried them all. It would be nice if Nvidia just let
> us disable the TV-out in setup somewhere so it wouldn't be an issue.

Have you tried playing DVD's in Linux with these cards?

It's not a rhetorical question, as I plan to use one (Ti4200 based) on Linux
soon myself (dual boot Win2K/RedHat 9).

--Keith

GeoW
July 14th 03, 08:21 PM
Keith Clark wrote:
> GeoW wrote:
>>
>> It's probably different for different cards. The GF3 ti200 uses a
>> Conextant BT868 for TV out. The latest driver I can use without 3rd
>> party intervention is the 40.72's, and I've tried them all. It would
>> be nice if Nvidia just let us disable the TV-out in setup somewhere
>> so it wouldn't be an issue.
>
> Have you tried playing DVD's in Linux with these cards?
>
> It's not a rhetorical question, as I plan to use one (Ti4200 based)
> on Linux soon myself (dual boot Win2K/RedHat 9).

No, I haven't played with Linux for about a year. If all I did was surf and
email it would have worked just fine, but I wasn't impressed with the gaming
options on Linux, outdated man pages, and lack of workable drivers for some
peripherals I had. I may pick it up again, but no current plans to. I
remember that the Nvidia drivers that came with the original dist worked
fine until it came time to update, then I couldn't get the newer drivers to
work. It finally sat on my hard drive for months unused until I recovered
the partitions for windows use.

Keith Clark
July 14th 03, 08:22 PM
GeoW wrote:

> Keith Clark wrote:
> > GeoW wrote:
> >>
> >> It's probably different for different cards. The GF3 ti200 uses a
> >> Conextant BT868 for TV out. The latest driver I can use without 3rd
> >> party intervention is the 40.72's, and I've tried them all. It would
> >> be nice if Nvidia just let us disable the TV-out in setup somewhere
> >> so it wouldn't be an issue.
> >
> > Have you tried playing DVD's in Linux with these cards?
> >
> > It's not a rhetorical question, as I plan to use one (Ti4200 based)
> > on Linux soon myself (dual boot Win2K/RedHat 9).
> >
> No, I haven't played with Linux for about a year. If all I did was surf and
> email it would have worked just fine, but I wasn't impressed with the gaming
> options on Linux, outdated man pages, and lack of workable drivers for some
> peripherals I had. I may pick it up again, but no current plans to. I
> remember that the Nvidia drivers that came with the original dist worked
> fine until it came time to update, then I couldn't get the newer drivers to
> work. It finally sat on my hard drive for months unused until I recovered
> the partitions for windows use.

A lot has happened in a year... :->

GeoW
July 14th 03, 09:18 PM
Keith Clark wrote:
>> GeoW wrote:
>
>>> Keith Clark wrote:
>>>
>>> Have you tried playing DVD's in Linux with these cards?
>>>
>>> It's not a rhetorical question, as I plan to use one (Ti4200 based)
>>> on Linux soon myself (dual boot Win2K/RedHat 9).
>>>
>> No, I haven't played with Linux for about a year. If all I did was
>> surf and email it would have worked just fine, but I wasn't
>> impressed with the gaming options on Linux, outdated man pages, and
>> lack of workable drivers for some peripherals I had. I may pick it
>> up again, but no current plans to. I remember that the Nvidia
>> drivers that came with the original dist worked fine until it came
>> time to update, then I couldn't get the newer drivers to work. It
>> finally sat on my hard drive for months unused until I recovered the
>> partitions for windows use.
>
> A lot has happened in a year... :->

I'm sure it has. Like I said, I may play with it again, just haven't gotten
around to it, and no real reason to as I pretty much have everything working
the way I want it to on XP.

Keith Clark
July 14th 03, 09:30 PM
GeoW wrote:

> Keith Clark wrote:

> >> No, I haven't played with Linux for about a year. If all I did was
> >> surf and email it would have worked just fine, but I wasn't
> >> impressed with the gaming options on Linux, outdated man pages, and
> >> lack of workable drivers for some peripherals I had. I may pick it
> >> up again, but no current plans to. I remember that the Nvidia
> >> drivers that came with the original dist worked fine until it came
> >> time to update, then I couldn't get the newer drivers to work. It
> >> finally sat on my hard drive for months unused until I recovered the
> >> partitions for windows use.
> >
> > A lot has happened in a year... :->
>
> I'm sure it has. Like I said, I may play with it again, just haven't gotten
> around to it, and no real reason to as I pretty much have everything working
> the way I want it to on XP.

Understood. I probably won't use any more Microsoft OS'es at home past Win2K.
Linux does everything I want with a few exceptions (yeah, like games). I find I
can make DivX movies faster, smaller, with higher quality under Linux so I use
it a lot. DVD playback works really well with the Ogle player.

--Keith