PDA

View Full Version : Re: GF4 Ti4200 Ultra - Good Budget Choice?

Shepİ
July 11th 03, 10:40 PM
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:29:35 +0100, In this world we created "smjohn"
> wrote :

>Hello, I am looking to replace my graphics card with a low budget option. I
>currently have a Ti500 card and have been looking at various cheaper
>options. My initial choice was an FX5200 but after reading posts in this
>newsgroup, this would seem to be a poor choice. After that my favoured
>option was a Radeon 9500 Pro but I can't find anywhere that sells them in
>the UK (apart from 1 supplier which is out of stock).
>
>My latest option is a Pixelview GF4 Ti4200 Ultra 128MB card for around £85
>http://www.microdirect.co.uk/companypages/products/videocards/pixelview/vidpix428x128dv/vidpix428x128dv.htm,
>I've also read in this group that a Ti4200 would be a good choice, can
>anyone tell me if this particular card would be a reasonable purchase.
>
>I would be willing to go up to £125 (approx $205) if you have any other
>recommendations for a good graphics card in this price range, I'm finding it
>pretty difficult working out which card would be the best purchase in my
>price range as there are big variations in prices for the same models by
>different manufacturers.
>
>Any advice would be appreciated
>
>(My system is a P4 2GHz, 512 RAMBUS memory, Win XP)
>
>smjohn

I think it's a good choice but by how much well....
I'm in a similar situation with an older G3 Ti200 and am going to wait
a while to see what's the nest thing after the FX cards.
Do any of your games not run well?
If the answer is yes then upgrade.
If the answer is no then save your money and wait.
My 10 penn'th.
Also a good supplier,
http://prices.cclcomputers.co.uk/
HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,

Keith Clark
July 11th 03, 11:34 PM
Here's what Tom's Hardware says about it :

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20020409/index.html

"Shepİ" wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:29:35 +0100, In this world we created "smjohn"
> > wrote :
>
> >Hello, I am looking to replace my graphics card with a low budget option. I
> >currently have a Ti500 card and have been looking at various cheaper
> >options. My initial choice was an FX5200 but after reading posts in this
> >newsgroup, this would seem to be a poor choice. After that my favoured
> >option was a Radeon 9500 Pro but I can't find anywhere that sells them in
> >the UK (apart from 1 supplier which is out of stock).
> >
> >My latest option is a Pixelview GF4 Ti4200 Ultra 128MB card for around £85
> >http://www.microdirect.co.uk/companypages/products/videocards/pixelview/vidpix428x128dv/vidpix428x128dv.htm,
> >I've also read in this group that a Ti4200 would be a good choice, can
> >anyone tell me if this particular card would be a reasonable purchase.
> >
> >I would be willing to go up to £125 (approx $205) if you have any other
> >recommendations for a good graphics card in this price range, I'm finding it
> >pretty difficult working out which card would be the best purchase in my
> >price range as there are big variations in prices for the same models by
> >different manufacturers.
> >
> >Any advice would be appreciated
> >
> >(My system is a P4 2GHz, 512 RAMBUS memory, Win XP)
> >
> >smjohn
> >

> I think it's a good choice but by how much well....
> I'm in a similar situation with an older G3 Ti200 and am going to wait
> a while to see what's the nest thing after the FX cards.
> Do any of your games not run well?
> If the answer is yes then upgrade.
> If the answer is no then save your money and wait.
> My 10 penn'th.
> Also a good supplier,
> http://prices.cclcomputers.co.uk/
> HTH :)
>
> --
> Free Windows/PC help,
> Free songs download,
> http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/17/sheppard.html

Strontium
July 12th 03, 12:12 AM
For $200 USD, you can get a Radeon 9700 non-pro. Check www.pricewatch.com
and try to find someone that will ship, internationally, via CC purchase.
Will blow the socks off the GF4 Ti4200 pro. Can, also, get the 9800
non-pro for $200 USD.

-

--
Strontium

"Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

Strontium
July 12th 03, 12:13 AM
Oops, that should read that the 9800 np is going for about $280 USD.
Typo, from Hell.

-

--
Strontium

"Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

Strontium
July 12th 03, 12:18 AM
Too bad that this article is fairly old. And, after the introduction of
the 9500, ATI is smoking nVidia in the FSAA arena.

-
Keith Clark stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

> Here's what Tom's Hardware says about it :
>
> http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20020409/index.html
>

> "Shepİ" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:29:35 +0100, In this world we created "smjohn"
>> > wrote :
>>
>>> Hello, I am looking to replace my graphics card with a low budget
>>> option. I
>>> currently have a Ti500 card and have been looking at various
>>> cheaper
>>> options. My initial choice was an FX5200 but after reading posts
>>> in this
>>> newsgroup, this would seem to be a poor choice. After that my
>>> favoured
>>> option was a Radeon 9500 Pro but I can't find anywhere that sells
>>> them in
>>> the UK (apart from 1 supplier which is out of stock).
>>>
>>> My latest option is a Pixelview GF4 Ti4200 Ultra 128MB card for
>>> around £85

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/companypages/products/videocards/pixelview/vi
dpix428x128dv/vidpix428x128dv.htm,
>>> I've also read in this group that a Ti4200 would be a good choice,
>>> can
>>> anyone tell me if this particular card would be a reasonable
>>> purchase.
>>>
>>> I would be willing to go up to £125 (approx $205) if you have any
>>> other
>>> recommendations for a good graphics card in this price range, I'm
>>> finding it
>>> pretty difficult working out which card would be the best purchase
>>> in my
>>> price range as there are big variations in prices for the same
>>> models by
>>> different manufacturers.
>>>
>>> Any advice would be appreciated
>>>
>>> (My system is a P4 2GHz, 512 RAMBUS memory, Win XP)
>>>
>>> smjohn
>>>

>> I think it's a good choice but by how much well....
>> I'm in a similar situation with an older G3 Ti200 and am going to
>> wait
>> a while to see what's the nest thing after the FX cards.
>> Do any of your games not run well?
>> If the answer is yes then upgrade.
>> If the answer is no then save your money and wait.
>> My 10 penn'th.
>> Also a good supplier,
>> http://prices.cclcomputers.co.uk/
>> HTH :)
>>
>> --
>> Free Windows/PC help,
>> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
>> Free songs download,
>> http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/17/sheppard.html

--
Strontium

"Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

Keith Clark
July 12th 03, 12:19 AM
Does the 9500 have dual monitor support and solid Linux drivers? If it does I
might consider one...

--Keith

Strontium wrote:

> Too bad that this article is fairly old. And, after the introduction of
> the 9500, ATI is smoking nVidia in the FSAA arena.
>
> -
> Keith Clark stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
>
> > Here's what Tom's Hardware says about it :
> >
> > http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20020409/index.html
> >

> > "Shepİ" wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:29:35 +0100, In this world we created "smjohn"

> http://www.microdirect.co.uk/companypages/products/videocards/pixelview/vi
> dpix428x128dv/vidpix428x128dv.htm,

> >> I think it's a good choice but by how much well....
> >> I'm in a similar situation with an older G3 Ti200 and am going to
> >> wait
> >> a while to see what's the nest thing after the FX cards.
> >> Do any of your games not run well?
> >> If the answer is yes then upgrade.
> >> If the answer is no then save your money and wait.
> >> My 10 penn'th.
> >> Also a good supplier,
> >> http://prices.cclcomputers.co.uk/
> >> HTH :)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Free Windows/PC help,
> >> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
> >> Free songs download,
> >> http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/17/sheppard.html
>
> --
> Strontium
>
> "Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
> clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

Strontium
July 12th 03, 12:27 AM
http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/video_graph/ati/9500pro/9500pro_1.shtml

-
Keith Clark stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

> Does the 9500 have dual monitor support and solid Linux drivers? If
> it does I might consider one...
>
> --Keith
>

> Strontium wrote:
>
>> Too bad that this article is fairly old. And, after the
>> introduction of the 9500, ATI is smoking nVidia in the FSAA arena.
>>
>> -
>> Keith Clark stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
>>
>>> Here's what Tom's Hardware says about it :
>>>
>>> http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20020409/index.html

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/companypages/products/videocards/pixelview/vi
>> dpix428x128dv/vidpix428x128dv.htm,

>> --
>> Strontium
>>
>> "Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
>> clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

--
Strontium

"Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

Dave
July 12th 03, 01:06 AM
Yeah? And now Nvidia's 5600 is smoking right back!
Dave

"Strontium" > wrote in message
> Too bad that this article is fairly old. And, after the introduction of
> the 9500, ATI is smoking nVidia in the FSAA arena.
>
> -
> Keith Clark stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
>
> > Here's what Tom's Hardware says about it :
> >
> > http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20020409/index.html
> >

> > "Shepİ" wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:29:35 +0100, In this world we created "smjohn"

> http://www.microdirect.co.uk/companypages/products/videocards/pixelview/vi
> dpix428x128dv/vidpix428x128dv.htm,

> >> I think it's a good choice but by how much well....
> >> I'm in a similar situation with an older G3 Ti200 and am going to
> >> wait
> >> a while to see what's the nest thing after the FX cards.
> >> Do any of your games not run well?
> >> If the answer is yes then upgrade.
> >> If the answer is no then save your money and wait.
> >> My 10 penn'th.
> >> Also a good supplier,
> >> http://prices.cclcomputers.co.uk/
> >> HTH :)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Free Windows/PC help,
> >> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
> >> Free songs download,
> >> http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/17/sheppard.html
>
> --
> Strontium
>
> "Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
> clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

Dave
July 12th 03, 01:11 AM
It better blow the socks off (maybe a 30 to 40% increase in frame rate, that
is if the rest of your system supports the increase, otherwise no increase
at all) for $200 more. Basically the ti4200 is the best buy, period.
Dave

"Strontium" > wrote in message
> Oops, that should read that the 9800 np is going for about $280 USD.
> Typo, from Hell.
>
> -
> Strontium stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
>
> > For $200 USD, you can get a Radeon 9700 non-pro. Check
> > www.pricewatch.com and try to find someone that will ship,
> > internationally, via CC purchase. Will blow the socks off the GF4
> > Ti4200 pro. Can, also, get the 9800 non-pro for $200 USD.
> >

> > -
> > smjohn stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
> >
> >> Hello, I am looking to replace my graphics card with a low budget
> >> option. I
> >> currently have a Ti500 card and have been looking at various cheaper
> >> options. My initial choice was an FX5200 but after reading posts in
> >> this
> >> newsgroup, this would seem to be a poor choice. After that my
> >> favoured
> >> option was a Radeon 9500 Pro but I can't find anywhere that sells
> >> them in
> >> the UK (apart from 1 supplier which is out of stock).
> >>
> >> My latest option is a Pixelview GF4 Ti4200 Ultra 128MB card for
> >> around £85
> >>

> http://www.microdirect.co.uk/companypages/products/videocards/pixelview/vi
> > dpix428x128dv/vidpix428x128dv.htm,
> >> I've also read in this group that a Ti4200 would be a good choice,
> >> can
> >> anyone tell me if this particular card would be a reasonable
> >> purchase.
> >>
> >> I would be willing to go up to £125 (approx $205) if you have any
> >> other
> >> recommendations for a good graphics card in this price range, I'm
> >> finding it
> >> pretty difficult working out which card would be the best purchase in
> >> my
> >> price range as there are big variations in prices for the same models
> >> by
> >> different manufacturers.
> >>
> >> Any advice would be appreciated
> >>
> >> (My system is a P4 2GHz, 512 RAMBUS memory, Win XP)
> >>
> >> smjohn
>
> --
> Strontium
>
> "Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
> clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

Strontium
July 12th 03, 01:20 AM
Not quite.

Ti4200 can whop all over an 8500.....old....old...old. Now, 9500?
Hehehehehee nice try.

-
Dave stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

> It better blow the socks off (maybe a 30 to 40% increase in frame
> rate, that is if the rest of your system supports the increase,
> otherwise no increase at all) for $200 more. Basically the ti4200 is
> the best buy, period.
> Dave
>
> "Strontium" > wrote in message
>> Oops, that should read that the 9800 np is going for about $280 USD.
>> Typo, from Hell.
>>
>> -
>> Strontium stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
>>
>>> For $200 USD, you can get a Radeon 9700 non-pro. Check
>>> www.pricewatch.com and try to find someone that will ship,
>>> internationally, via CC purchase. Will blow the socks off the GF4
>>> Ti4200 pro. Can, also, get the 9800 non-pro for $200 USD.
>>>

>>> -

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/companypages/products/videocards/pixelview/vi
>>> dpix428x128dv/vidpix428x128dv.htm,

>> --
>> Strontium
>>
>> "Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
>> clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

--
Strontium

"Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

Strontium
July 12th 03, 01:21 AM
5600? Not even the 5900 can touch the 9800's, with FSAA. Do some
homework, boy. The 5600 is on par with, maybe the 9200. Hehehe.

-
Dave stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

> Yeah? And now Nvidia's 5600 is smoking right back!
> Dave
>
> "Strontium" > wrote in message
>> Too bad that this article is fairly old. And, after the
>> introduction of the 9500, ATI is smoking nVidia in the FSAA arena.
>>
>> -
>> Keith Clark stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
>>
>>> Here's what Tom's Hardware says about it :
>>>
>>> http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20020409/index.html

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/companypages/products/videocards/pixelview/vi
>> dpix428x128dv/vidpix428x128dv.htm,

>> --
>> Strontium
>>
>> "Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
>> clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

--
Strontium

"Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

Strontium
July 12th 03, 02:09 AM
Be a fanboy, all you want. I am loyal to NO chipmaker.

-

--
Strontium

"Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

Dave
July 12th 03, 02:52 AM
"Strontium" > wrote in message
> Be a fanboy, all you want. I am loyal to NO chipmaker.

Fanboy? I know you ain't referring to me! (I'm Dave, dammit! He's an
im-poster ;-) ) The only fanboy I ever was was the one improving the air
circulation thru my case. I am loyal to my wallet. ATI is on top now, but if
Nvidia ever pulls their head out of their @$$ they might be on top next
round, who knows. Certainly have better things to get excited about. Still
nothing changes the fact that if the softmodding works, this:

http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?item=14-102-271
(one-more-time to the tune of Zappa's "Joe's Garage")

is currently the best *value* going. Brand loyalty be damned. I just want
RESULTS!

> Dave stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
>
> > "Dave" > wrote in message
> >> Yeah? And now Nvidia's 5600 is smoking right back!
> >> Dave
> >>

> > Smokin' something alright! Nothing beats this for the price if the
> > softmodding works (usually does...):
> >
> > http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?item=14-102-271 .
> >
> > Any questions?

Strontium
July 12th 03, 03:24 AM
I'm not concerned with bang/buck, ATM. :) I've got the cash. I sure, as
Hell, don't want to throw money at the window. However, my GF3 Ti200 oc'd
to 250/550 is just not cutting it for the games, that I play. When I slap
that 9700 np in my box, I'll get back to you. ($200, btw, no tax).

"Dave" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Strontium" > wrote in message
> > Be a fanboy, all you want. I am loyal to NO chipmaker.
>
> Fanboy? I know you ain't referring to me! (I'm Dave, dammit! He's an
> im-poster ;-) ) The only fanboy I ever was was the one improving the air
> circulation thru my case. I am loyal to my wallet. ATI is on top now, but
if
> Nvidia ever pulls their head out of their @$$ they might be on top next
> round, who knows. Certainly have better things to get excited about. Still
> nothing changes the fact that if the softmodding works, this:
>
> http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?item=14-102-271
> (one-more-time to the tune of Zappa's "Joe's Garage")
>
> is currently the best *value* going. Brand loyalty be damned. I just want
> RESULTS!
>
> > Dave stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

> > > Smokin' something alright! Nothing beats this for the price if the
> > > softmodding works (usually does...):
> > >
> > > http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?item=14-102-271 .
> > >
> > > Any questions?

Dave
July 12th 03, 04:34 AM
"Strontium" > wrote in message
> I'm not concerned with bang/buck, ATM. :) I've got the cash. I sure, as
> Hell, don't want to throw money at the window. However, my GF3 Ti200 oc'd
> to 250/550 is just not cutting it for the games, that I play. When I slap
> that 9700 np in my box, I'll get back to you. ($200, btw, no tax).

And well worth it, I might add. My first such DX9-capable card (I got it
while it was just under $300 last year). Of course I had to overclock it to
Pro spec. Actually I just reflashed the BIOS after dumping and modding it
;-). Warranty? Pff, it's a disposable commodity and by the time it dies it
will be long obsolete. The modded 9500 NP is in another box (the one I
usually end up using the most even though I have two faster ones on the LAN
here), in fact this one right here: a modest Athlon XP 2400+/SiS 735 Leadtek
mobo that has given me no trouble at all, ever. The other 3 9500 NP's
ordered for others' boxes also softmodded perfectly; in case anyone thinks
the odds are too slim: they aren't. Some of the other ATI and Nvidia cards
are in others, a Kyro 2 and V3 in the card pile, a V5 here somewhere in a
Dell Dimension XPS 400 intel BX board with a 1.4 Tualatin Celly and an old
Cinemaster 3 DVD card, and I even still have a running box with a Rendition
card innit.
Try maxing out the aniso and AA, playing the "usual suspects" then
please do get back to me...after the $#!+-eating grin fades ;-). The drivers
have come a long way. Don't even bother with the ones on the CD. Use the 3.4
or 3.5, or their Omega versions. But make sure you purge the registry of all
Nvidia-related entries, however you choose to do so, and delete all the
nv*.* crap, or you will be chasing headaches...and believe me, it's MUCH
WORSE going from ATI, as they leave *all sorts* of orphaned BS in the system
that has to be manually removed, much like with Creative soundcards. If you
use XP (I do ALAP) the rollback is your fren'...

> "Dave" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > "Strontium" > wrote in message
> > > Be a fanboy, all you want. I am loyal to NO chipmaker.
> >
> > Fanboy? I know you ain't referring to me! (I'm Dave, dammit! He's an
> > im-poster ;-) ) The only fanboy I ever was was the one improving the
air
> > circulation thru my case. I am loyal to my wallet. ATI is on top now,
but
> if
> > Nvidia ever pulls their head out of their @$$ they might be on top next
> > round, who knows. Certainly have better things to get excited about.
Still
> > nothing changes the fact that if the softmodding works, this:
> >
> > http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?item=14-102-271
> > (one-more-time to the tune of Zappa's "Joe's Garage")
> >
> > is currently the best *value* going. Brand loyalty be damned. I just
want
> > RESULTS!

Strontium
July 12th 03, 04:51 AM
-
Dave stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

> "Strontium" > wrote in message
>> I'm not concerned with bang/buck, ATM. :) I've got the cash. I
>> sure, as Hell, don't want to throw money at the window. However, my
>> GF3 Ti200 oc'd to 250/550 is just not cutting it for the games, that
>> I play. When I slap that 9700 np in my box, I'll get back to you.
>> ($200, btw, no tax).

<snip>

Yes. I've, totally, had to deal with the nVidia 'hangin around' crap,
before. Learned, real quick, that you need to clean that **** out.

I'll get back to you, when I'm running full screen AA and VSYNC to top it
off. I'm no fanboy. But, for what I want, this is where it's at...right
now. And, 200 bux is about what I'm willing to shell out.

As for the drivers, I've been down this road. I'll see what works
best....then get back to you :P And, the rest of the group. Card will be
here in 5 days. Will not have time to mess with it, for 7...work, etc...

As for your rendition card.....you gloater :P~~~~

:)

--
Strontium

"Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

Dave
July 12th 03, 04:56 AM
"Strontium" > wrote in message
> -
> Dave stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

.. Will not have time to mess with it, for 7...work, etc...

> As for your rendition card.....you gloater :P~~~~
>

> :)

I'm frankly amazed it still works as well as it does! 'Course the box it's
in is running '95 OSR2...there were always issues with Rendition cards and
'98...

Scott King
July 12th 03, 05:20 AM
how much you want for the ti500?

I'm looking at a ti 4200 too. I don't think you can get the 4x anymore in
this GPU....maybe you can, but all I see is 8x. So I guess if your MB is 8x
that might improve things on down the road considerably.

Scott

"smjohn" > wrote in message
> Hello, I am looking to replace my graphics card with a low budget option.
> currently have a Ti500 card and have been looking at various cheaper
> options. My initial choice was an FX5200 but after reading posts in this
> newsgroup, this would seem to be a poor choice. After that my favoured
> option was a Radeon 9500 Pro but I can't find anywhere that sells them in
> the UK (apart from 1 supplier which is out of stock).
>
> My latest option is a Pixelview GF4 Ti4200 Ultra 128MB card for around £85

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/companypages/products/videocards/pixelview/vidp
ix428x128dv/vidpix428x128dv.htm,
> I've also read in this group that a Ti4200 would be a good choice, can
> anyone tell me if this particular card would be a reasonable purchase.
>
> I would be willing to go up to £125 (approx $205) if you have any other
> recommendations for a good graphics card in this price range, I'm finding
it
> pretty difficult working out which card would be the best purchase in my
> price range as there are big variations in prices for the same models by
> different manufacturers.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated
>
> (My system is a P4 2GHz, 512 RAMBUS memory, Win XP)
>
> smjohn

J.Clarke
July 12th 03, 07:59 AM
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:11:13 -0700
"Dave" > wrote:

> It better blow the socks off (maybe a 30 to 40% increase in frame
> rate, that is if the rest of your system supports the increase,
> otherwise no increase at all) for $200 more. Basically the ti4200 is
> the best buy, period. Dave

For $200 _more_? Newegg lists one 9700 board for $219--that price can
be beaten. So where do I get a ti4200 for $19?.
>=20
> "Strontium" > wrote in message
> > Oops, that should read that the 9800 np is going for about $280 USD.
> > Typo, from Hell.
> >
> > -
> > Strontium stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
> >
> > > For $200 USD, you can get a Radeon 9700 non-pro. Check
> > > www.pricewatch.com and try to find someone that will ship,
> > > internationally, via CC purchase. Will blow the socks off the GF4
> > > Ti4200 pro. Can, also, get the 9800 non-pro for $200 USD.
> > >

> > > -

> > >cheaper> options. My initial choice was an FX5200 but after
> > >reading posts in> this

> > http://www.microdirect.co.uk/companypages/products/videocards/pixelview=
/vi
> > > dpix428x128dv/vidpix428x128dv.htm,
> > >choice,> can

> > >purchase in> my
> > >models> by

> > --
> > Strontium
> >
> > "Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
> > clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311
> >

>=20
>=20

--=20
--=20
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

J.Clarke
July 12th 03, 08:03 AM
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:19:33 -0700
Keith Clark > wrote:

> Does the 9500 have dual monitor support and solid Linux drivers? If it
> does I might consider one...

Most if not all current ATI boards have dual monitor support. And the
ATI Linux drivers get rolled into the source tree, unlike nvidia that
keeps their drivers closed.

> --Keith
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Strontium wrote:
>=20
> > Too bad that this article is fairly old. And, after the
> > introduction of the 9500, ATI is smoking nVidia in the FSAA arena.
> >
> > -
> > Keith Clark stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
> >
> > > Here's what Tom's Hardware says about it :
> > >
> > > http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20020409/index.html

> > >budget>> option. I
> > >posts>> in this
> > >sells>> them in

> > http://www.microdirect.co.uk/companypages/products/videocards/pixelview=
/vi
> > dpix428x128dv/vidpix428x128dv.htm,
> > >choice,>> can

> > >any>> other
> > >I'm>> finding it
> > >purchase>> in my

> > --
> > Strontium
> >
> > "Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
> > clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311
>=20

--=20
--=20
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Ron Merts
July 12th 03, 11:23 AM
Yes, it's a pretty good budget choice; but you can find the 5200 Ultra for
$199 (USD) or less all day long. The 5200 lineup is an entry-level/budget
card. The 8X 4200 (A.K.A. 4280) is probably still a better choice if you
don't mind not having DirectX9 support or OpenGL 1.3 support.

Ron

"smjohn" > wrote in message
> Hello, I am looking to replace my graphics card with a low budget option.
> currently have a Ti500 card and have been looking at various cheaper
> options. My initial choice was an FX5200 but after reading posts in this
> newsgroup, this would seem to be a poor choice. After that my favoured
> option was a Radeon 9500 Pro but I can't find anywhere that sells them in
> the UK (apart from 1 supplier which is out of stock).
>
> My latest option is a Pixelview GF4 Ti4200 Ultra 128MB card for around £85

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/companypages/products/videocards/pixelview/vidpix428x128dv/vidpix428x128dv.htm,
> I've also read in this group that a Ti4200 would be a good choice, can
> anyone tell me if this particular card would be a reasonable purchase.
>
> I would be willing to go up to £125 (approx $205) if you have any other
> recommendations for a good graphics card in this price range, I'm finding
it
> pretty difficult working out which card would be the best purchase in my
> price range as there are big variations in prices for the same models by
> different manufacturers.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated
>
> (My system is a P4 2GHz, 512 RAMBUS memory, Win XP)
>
> smjohn

Keith Clark
July 12th 03, 04:28 PM
Strontium wrote:

> http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/video_graph/ati/9500pro/9500pro_1.shtml

That's not an answer, that's a link. My question was a reasonable one...

I'm not looking for the best benchmark regardless of price. I don't really
care what card is the fastest. I want solid Linux support, *reasonable* frame
rates, good image quality, and a price around $120-$140.

If the article mentions Linux, I didn't see it. I know from experience that
the nVidia Linux drivers are good (at least with a Geforce 256), so naturally
I'm considering a dual-head nVidia card for my home system upgrade.

If you can't do anything other than post links then please go away.

--Keith

> -
> Keith Clark stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
>
> > Does the 9500 have dual monitor support and solid Linux drivers? If
> > it does I might consider one...
> >
> > --Keith
> >

> > Strontium wrote:
> >
> >> Too bad that this article is fairly old. And, after the
> >> introduction of the 9500, ATI is smoking nVidia in the FSAA arena.
> >>
> >> -

> http://www.microdirect.co.uk/companypages/products/videocards/pixelview/vi
> >> dpix428x128dv/vidpix428x128dv.htm,

> >> --
> >> Strontium
> >>
> >> "Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
> >> clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311
>
> --
> Strontium
>
> "Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
> clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

Strontium
July 12th 03, 08:54 PM
I don't use *nix.

-
Keith Clark stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

> Strontium wrote:

http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/video_graph/ati/9500pro/9500pro_1.shtml

> That's not an answer, that's a link. My question was a reasonable
> one...
>
> I'm not looking for the best benchmark regardless of price. I don't
> really care what card is the fastest. I want solid Linux support,
> *reasonable* frame rates, good image quality, and a price around
> $120-$140.
>
> If the article mentions Linux, I didn't see it. I know from
> experience that the nVidia Linux drivers are good (at least with a
> Geforce 256), so naturally I'm considering a dual-head nVidia card
> for my home system upgrade.
>
> If you can't do anything other than post links then please go away.
>
> --Keith
>

>> -
>> Keith Clark stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
>>
>>> Does the 9500 have dual monitor support and solid Linux drivers? If
>>> it does I might consider one...
>>>
>>> --Keith

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/companypages/products/videocards/pixelview/vi

>> --
>> Strontium
>>
>> "Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
>> clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

--
Strontium

"Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

Strontium
July 12th 03, 08:55 PM
OH, BTW...you don't like my replies?....kill file me, ****face.
Welcome to usenet, you baby.

-
Keith Clark stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

> Strontium wrote:

http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/video_graph/ati/9500pro/9500pro_1.shtml

> That's not an answer, that's a link. My question was a reasonable
> one...
>
> I'm not looking for the best benchmark regardless of price. I don't
> really care what card is the fastest. I want solid Linux support,
> *reasonable* frame rates, good image quality, and a price around
> $120-$140.
>
> If the article mentions Linux, I didn't see it. I know from
> experience that the nVidia Linux drivers are good (at least with a
> Geforce 256), so naturally I'm considering a dual-head nVidia card
> for my home system upgrade.
>
> If you can't do anything other than post links then please go away.
>
> --Keith
>

>> -
>> Keith Clark stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
>>
>>> Does the 9500 have dual monitor support and solid Linux drivers? If
>>> it does I might consider one...
>>>
>>> --Keith

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/companypages/products/videocards/pixelview/vi

>> --
>> Strontium
>>
>> "Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
>> clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

--
Strontium

"Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

July 13th 03, 04:32 PM
What do you guys make of the GF4 Ti4xxx cards on the following link?
http://www.shentech.com/shentech/bfgte.html
This seems to be the only place selling this brand.

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:12:44 -0500, "Strontium" > wrote:

>For $200 USD, you can get a Radeon 9700 non-pro. Check www.pricewatch.com
>and try to find someone that will ship, internationally, via CC purchase.
>Will blow the socks off the GF4 Ti4200 pro. Can, also, get the 9800
>non-pro for $200 USD.
>

>-
> smjohn stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
>
>> Hello, I am looking to replace my graphics card with a low budget
>> option. I
>> currently have a Ti500 card and have been looking at various cheaper
>> options. My initial choice was an FX5200 but after reading posts in
>> this
>> newsgroup, this would seem to be a poor choice. After that my
>> favoured
>> option was a Radeon 9500 Pro but I can't find anywhere that sells
>> them in
>> the UK (apart from 1 supplier which is out of stock).
>>
>> My latest option is a Pixelview GF4 Ti4200 Ultra 128MB card for
>> around £85
>>
>http://www.microdirect.co.uk/companypages/products/videocards/pixelview/vi
>dpix428x128dv/vidpix428x128dv.htm,
>> I've also read in this group that a Ti4200 would be a good choice,
>> can
>> anyone tell me if this particular card would be a reasonable purchase.
>>
>> I would be willing to go up to £125 (approx $205) if you have any
>> other
>> recommendations for a good graphics card in this price range, I'm
>> finding it
>> pretty difficult working out which card would be the best purchase in
>> my
>> price range as there are big variations in prices for the same models
>> by
>> different manufacturers.
>>
>> Any advice would be appreciated
>>
>> (My system is a P4 2GHz, 512 RAMBUS memory, Win XP)
>>
>> smjohn

John M.
July 16th 03, 03:35 AM
According to Toms Hardware, the 5900 Ultra beats the pants off the 9800 Pro:
http://www17.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030512/index.html

--- John

"Strontium" > wrote in message
> 5600? Not even the 5900 can touch the 9800's, with FSAA. Do some
> homework, boy. The 5600 is on par with, maybe the 9200. Hehehe.
>
> -
> Dave stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
>
> > Yeah? And now Nvidia's 5600 is smoking right back!
> > Dave
> >
> > "Strontium" > wrote in message
> >> Too bad that this article is fairly old. And, after the
> >> introduction of the 9500, ATI is smoking nVidia in the FSAA arena.
> >>
> >> -

> http://www.microdirect.co.uk/companypages/products/videocards/pixelview/vi
> >> dpix428x128dv/vidpix428x128dv.htm,

> >> --
> >> Strontium
> >>
> >> "Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
> >> clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311
>
> --
> Strontium
>
> "Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
> clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

Chimera
July 16th 03, 04:29 AM
John M. wrote:
> According to Toms Hardware, the 5900 Ultra beats the pants off the 9800
Pro:
> http://www17.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030512/index.html

cough cough choke... the 'grain of salt' has been replaced by the nVidia
approved, Toms Hardware endoresed 'brick of salt' me thinks.

Dave
July 16th 03, 05:33 AM
Speaking of smoking, I think you smoked enough crack for one thread. Now
sober up or go over to the ati fanboy NG.
Dave

"Strontium" > wrote in message
> 5600? Not even the 5900 can touch the 9800's, with FSAA. Do some
> homework, boy. The 5600 is on par with, maybe the 9200. Hehehe.
>
> -
> Dave stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
>
> > Yeah? And now Nvidia's 5600 is smoking right back!
> > Dave
> >
> > "Strontium" > wrote in message
> >> Too bad that this article is fairly old. And, after the
> >> introduction of the 9500, ATI is smoking nVidia in the FSAA arena.
> >>
> >> -

> http://www.microdirect.co.uk/companypages/products/videocards/pixelview/vi
> >> dpix428x128dv/vidpix428x128dv.htm,

> >> --
> >> Strontium
> >>
> >> "Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
> >> clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311
>
> --
> Strontium
>
> "Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
> clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

Strontium
July 16th 03, 03:04 PM
Tom's Hardware, as well as AnandTech, are both biased out the ass. Blech.
They used to be more subjective (read: about 4yrs ago).

-
John M. stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

> cough, cough...blind loyalty..cough, cough.. Got benchmarks?
>
> "Chimera" > wrote in message
>>
>> cough cough choke... the 'grain of salt' has been replaced by the
>> nVidia approved, Toms Hardware endoresed 'brick of salt' me thinks.

--
Strontium

"Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

Chimera
July 17th 03, 12:37 AM
John M. wrote:
> cough, cough...blind loyalty..cough, cough.. Got benchmarks?

plenty out there.

Chimera
July 17th 03, 01:31 AM
Strontium wrote:
> Tom's Hardware, as well as AnandTech, are both biased out the ass. Blech.
> They used to be more subjective (read: about 4yrs ago).

IAWO, what about all the posts where people are benchamarking their new card
and cant get it close to the scores that TH posts on their reviews. MMM,
smelly. From what Ive seem, synthetic optimisations or not, nVidia is good
for some, ATI in others, and nobody can say that one eats the other because
they too close. The GFFX 5900 Pro is a top card, just as the R9800 is. The
clincher may be if you have a cold house, go for the 5900 because it may
keep you warm late into the night ;p

John M.
July 17th 03, 02:22 AM
Are you saying that the 5900 Ultra benchmark numbers were faked or "fixed"
somehow in his article? That it's actually slower than a 9800 Pro? If so,
I would be very interested in hearing your objective technical evidence to
support this.

"Strontium" > wrote in message
> Tom's Hardware, as well as AnandTech, are both biased out the ass. Blech.
> They used to be more subjective (read: about 4yrs ago).

John M.
July 17th 03, 02:32 AM
I actually did find some interesting articles from ZDnet
http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Nvidia_GeForce_FX_5900_Ultra/4505-3025_16-21217902.html?tag=pdtl-list
and another in Cnet http://news.com.com/2100-1046-1009574.html?tag=txt in
which it was recently revealed that Nvidia had tweaked their drivers to run
better on certain benchmarks. Once these tweaks were turned off, the 9800
did beat the 5900 in several tests. In other cases, the original performance
differences between the two cards was narrowed considerably. I stand
corrected. --- John

"Chimera" > wrote in message
> John M. wrote:
> > cough, cough...blind loyalty..cough, cough.. Got benchmarks?
>
> plenty out there.

Strontium
July 17th 03, 02:37 AM
Nope.

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** outta me." - Lit
"John M." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Are you saying that the 5900 Ultra benchmark numbers were faked or "fixed"
> somehow in his article? That it's actually slower than a 9800 Pro? If
so,
> I would be very interested in hearing your objective technical evidence to
> support this.
>
> "Strontium" > wrote in message
> > Tom's Hardware, as well as AnandTech, are both biased out the ass.
Blech.
> > They used to be more subjective (read: about 4yrs ago).

Chimera
July 17th 03, 02:59 AM
John M. wrote:
> Are you saying that the 5900 Ultra benchmark numbers were faked or "fixed"
> somehow in his article? That it's actually slower than a 9800 Pro? If
so,
> I would be very interested in hearing your objective technical evidence to
> support this.

No pointing fingers from me, but this makes an interesting read:
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/antidetect/index.html