PDA

View Full Version : three monitors w. DualView?


John
July 10th 03, 09:01 PM
In article >,
[email protected] says...
> I have an idea for a "surround gaming" experience, but I need more
> info.
>
> I currently play games in my home theater using an XGA projector. I
> play a lot of driving and flying sims and would like to expand to a
> sort of triptych design to provide for peripheral vision.
>
> I have a cockpit that I use for sims, and am envisioning some cheap 15
> or 17" LCD displays mounted to the front/sides to do this.
>

Sounds like you have some $$ to spare. Want to give me some? :)

> What I am unclear on is the details. I have read a little about
> DualView in the nView pdf, and understand the basic approach of using
> stretch mode. All displays must be the same resolution, and Windows
> sees this as a single large display. But how would one actually
> arrive at a triple monitor configuration? What hardware would be
> necessary? A big requirement is not sacrificing 3D acceleration or
> quality. Would it even work in D3D?

I don't think you could do what you want, because you would need a
secondary video card to get the third(and fourth display) and something
smart enough to coalesce the three seperate displays into one "view". I
don't think nVidia's drivers are to this point (yet).

There is a Matrox card which has support for several monitors, allowing
to do just what you want, but it also requires support from games to get
different views on different monitors.

Let us know if you find a way!

Thanks,
TR.

Gerald Moore
July 11th 03, 09:37 PM
I have an idea for a "surround gaming" experience, but I need more
info.

I currently play games in my home theater using an XGA projector. I
play a lot of driving and flying sims and would like to expand to a
sort of triptych design to provide for peripheral vision.

I have a cockpit that I use for sims, and am envisioning some cheap 15
or 17" LCD displays mounted to the front/sides to do this.

What I am unclear on is the details. I have read a little about
DualView in the nView pdf, and understand the basic approach of using
stretch mode. All displays must be the same resolution, and Windows
sees this as a single large display. But how would one actually
arrive at a triple monitor configuration? What hardware would be
necessary? A big requirement is not sacrificing 3D acceleration or
quality. Would it even work in D3D?

TIA,
Gerald

Gerald Moore
July 14th 03, 07:25 PM
John > wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> [email protected] says...
> > I have an idea for a "surround gaming" experience, but I need more
> > info.
> >
> > I currently play games in my home theater using an XGA projector. I
> > play a lot of driving and flying sims and would like to expand to a
> > sort of triptych design to provide for peripheral vision.
> >
> > I have a cockpit that I use for sims, and am envisioning some cheap 15
> > or 17" LCD displays mounted to the front/sides to do this.
> >
>
> Sounds like you have some $$ to spare. Want to give me some? :)

LOL. No.

Seriously, this is mainly a pipe dream and what-if exercise at this
point; no chance getting it past SWMBO until I get way ahead on my
honey-do list. A friend of mine insists that geek-factor aside, I
would come out way ahead simply investing in a Track-IR unit.

The other thing that makes it not very practical is that I use the
room and PC for more than just sims. So it will probably never
happen. But if I win a lottery, I'd like to have the option!

> > What I am unclear on is the details. I have read a little about
> > DualView in the nView pdf, and understand the basic approach of using
> > stretch mode. All displays must be the same resolution, and Windows
> > sees this as a single large display. But how would one actually
> > arrive at a triple monitor configuration? What hardware would be
> > necessary? A big requirement is not sacrificing 3D acceleration or
> > quality. Would it even work in D3D?
>
> I don't think you could do what you want, because you would need a
> secondary video card to get the third(and fourth display) and something
> smart enough to coalesce the three seperate displays into one "view". I
> don't think nVidia's drivers are to this point (yet).

I only count 3 displays: from left to right: LCD = DLP Projector =
LCD. So, three heads in some one or two card combination. All the
dual head cards are in the MX range of cards? I would like to be able
to use a PCI dual head card to handle the two side views and use a
more state of the art card to handle the central view. Does anyone
even make stuff for the PCI slot anymore?

Supposedly, the next iteration of DirectX will allow acceleration on
all cards, not just the primary one. I had understood that WinXP will
treat any connected monitors as one desktop using nView as available
now. All the examples only show two monitors though. Logically, you
could extend that to n number, but I haven't read of anyone who has.

> There is a Matrox card which has support for several monitors, allowing
> to do just what you want, but it also requires support from games to get
> different views on different monitors.

I know about the Matrox card. It is too slow for what I want to do.
If they would make one in the upper GF4 range of performance it would
be an excellent choice for this sort of thing. At least until DooM 3
comes out.

> Let us know if you find a way!

If I ever do, I will be sure to brag about it here first!