PDA

View Full Version : FX-5200 hell

JB
July 10th 03, 05:38 PM
Hi

I have a fairly new Dell Dimension 4550 (P-4 2.4 GHZ) running XP, and I
decided that I needed a 128 MB video card, so I replaced the Geoforce MX-
420 that came with the machine with an FX-5200 (both AGP). No problem at
first, I used the driver from the included CD, and it worked fine.

A few days later, I power up, and the display is screwed up, multiple
images, unreadable text etc, even during the POST. I can't troubleshoot it
in Windows because I can't see what I'm doing. I called Nvidia tech
support, and got the expected "get the latest driver" speech. It didn't
help. If I use the old card, everything is great, and I don't have another
machine to test the new card in. Nvidia said to return the card, as I
figured they would.

Can anyone help? Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks.

jb

Biffo
July 10th 03, 06:29 PM
RMA the card
"JB" > wrote in message
.29...
> Hi
>
> I have a fairly new Dell Dimension 4550 (P-4 2.4 GHZ) running XP, and I
> decided that I needed a 128 MB video card, so I replaced the Geoforce MX-
> 420 that came with the machine with an FX-5200 (both AGP). No problem at
> first, I used the driver from the included CD, and it worked fine.
>
> A few days later, I power up, and the display is screwed up, multiple
> images, unreadable text etc, even during the POST. I can't troubleshoot it
> in Windows because I can't see what I'm doing. I called Nvidia tech
> support, and got the expected "get the latest driver" speech. It didn't
> help. If I use the old card, everything is great, and I don't have another
> machine to test the new card in. Nvidia said to return the card, as I
> figured they would.
>
> Can anyone help? Has anyone seen this before?
>
> Thanks.
>
> jb

dino
July 10th 03, 09:16 PM
I had the same basic problem on a friends GeoForce 256...the card was
fried..if you change it out and everything is fine RMA it back.

JB
July 10th 03, 10:13 PM
"dino" > wrote in news:nRjPa.16785$Tx.811609
@news20.bellglobal.com:

> I had the same basic problem on a friends GeoForce 256...the card was
> fried..if you change it out and everything is fine RMA it back.

Thanks everyone. I returned the card.

jb

JB
July 11th 03, 12:25 AM
"Patrick" > wrote in news:1gmPa.7537$Vx2.3632626
@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com:

> "Tawakalna" > wrote in message
>> shame that, because I was about to tell you that i had the same problem
> but
>> fixed it. still you won't be interested now in how to do it!
>>

> ...But I want to know...

So do I. The card's packed up and ready to ship, but I'd be glad to unpack
it and try your fix instead.

Please????

jb

CeeBee
July 11th 03, 12:17 PM
JB > wrote

> "Patrick" > wrote in news:1gmPa.7537$Vx2.3632626
> @newssvr28.news.prodigy.com:
>

>> "Tawakalna" > wrote in message
>>> shame that, because I was about to tell you that i had the same
>>> problem
>> but
>>> fixed it. still you won't be interested now in how to do it!
>>>

>> ...But I want to know...
>
> So do I. The card's packed up and ready to ship, but I'd be glad to
> unpack it and try your fix instead.
>
> Please????
>
> jb

Tawakalna....leg...pull.....

--
CeeBee

CeeBee's Rant @ http://www.geocities.com/ceebee_2

Bratboy
July 11th 03, 03:20 PM
sadly my only experience with a fx5200 has left a bad taste and at this
point I would not wish it on my worse enemy. Fortunatly I didnt have to pay
cash for it but it honestly isnt even worth the cost of shipping IMHO hehe

JB
July 11th 03, 03:54 PM
"Bratboy" > wrote in :

> sadly my only experience with a fx5200 has left a bad taste and at
> this point I would not wish it on my worse enemy. Fortunatly I didnt
> have to pay cash for it but it honestly isnt even worth the cost of
> shipping IMHO hehe

What 128 MB card would you recommend instead? Price is a big consideration,
and I'd prefer an AGP card.

Thanks

jb

Dave
July 11th 03, 05:39 PM
"JB" > wrote in message
. 63.156...
> "Bratboy" > wrote in :
>
> > sadly my only experience with a fx5200 has left a bad taste and at
> > this point I would not wish it on my worse enemy. Fortunatly I didnt
> > have to pay cash for it but it honestly isnt even worth the cost of
> > shipping IMHO hehe
>
> What 128 MB card would you recommend instead? Price is a big
consideration,
> and I'd prefer an AGP card.

This one right here.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=14-102-271&DEPA=1

All four I have received so far (one for me) have softmodded like a champ,
run flawlessly at 300/300, and perform on par with my 9700. There is a
reported ~80% success rate. So far, I'm above the curve. Nvidia has nothing
that even comes close in the price range.

> Thanks
>
> jb

Bratboy
July 11th 03, 05:56 PM
not sure what to tell ya as a choice but just make sure if you do go the
fx5200 route that you triple check that is using good memory and 128 bit mem
path because companies like Gainward are pushing out cards that have no
marking on the box but are 128 meg with 64 bit path and my dieing gf3 beat
it. I discovered in actual testing and games that it performs at approx 50%
worse, and Im being kind saying 50 more like the fx5200 is 60-70% worse than
the dieing card. For example running 3dmark01 at 1280 x 1024 32 bit 2x AA
and 2x ansio

GF3 2698
fx5200 1058

"JB" > wrote in message
. 63.156...
> "Bratboy" > wrote in :
>
> > sadly my only experience with a fx5200 has left a bad taste and at
> > this point I would not wish it on my worse enemy. Fortunatly I didnt
> > have to pay cash for it but it honestly isnt even worth the cost of
> > shipping IMHO hehe
>
> What 128 MB card would you recommend instead? Price is a big
consideration,
> and I'd prefer an AGP card.
>
> Thanks
>
> jb

Dave
July 11th 03, 06:25 PM
The Prolink 5200 128MB with 4 ns ram is the fastest 5200 that I know of.
It's clocked at 275 mhz core, 500 mhz memory.
Dave

"JB" > wrote in message
. 63.156...
> "Bratboy" > wrote in :
>
> > sadly my only experience with a fx5200 has left a bad taste and at
> > this point I would not wish it on my worse enemy. Fortunatly I didnt
> > have to pay cash for it but it honestly isnt even worth the cost of
> > shipping IMHO hehe
>
> What 128 MB card would you recommend instead? Price is a big
consideration,
> and I'd prefer an AGP card.
>
> Thanks
>
> jb

AnybodyŽ
July 12th 03, 03:54 AM
My own exp with my Asus fx5200 is great, I have not had a single problem and
it plays all the games I want it too with high settings and no glitches, lol
did I get lucky?

"Bratboy" > wrote in message
> sadly my only experience with a fx5200 has left a bad taste and at this
> point I would not wish it on my worse enemy. Fortunatly I didnt have to
pay
> cash for it but it honestly isnt even worth the cost of shipping IMHO hehe

Bratboy
July 12th 03, 12:56 PM
You may just have gotten the right card hehe, The main "problem" is that
unfortunatly there are 2 flavors out there fx5200's that use 128meg/128 bit
path, which may perform great as I havent had a chance to try one & 128meg
or 64meg of slower memory using 64 bit. The 64 bit versions are crippled by
the path and thus run so poorly. It wouldnt be as big a deal IF ppl like
Gainward made this clear as to which path they used on the card on the
OUTSIDE of the box so a buyer could see which it is, heck even inside a slip
saying "this is a 128/64 or 128/128" would be better (I looked everywhere
and no markings on anything inside or outside of the box) instead they
disclose it on their web sites and deliberatly leave such important info off
their packaging. As someone else stated this sort of practice should be
nipped in the bud by Nvidia cause it is giving their chip, which may be
good with the better pathway, a really bad rep now.

"AnybodyŽ" > wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
> My own exp with my Asus fx5200 is great, I have not had a single problem
and
> it plays all the games I want it too with high settings and no glitches,
lol
> did I get lucky?
>
> "Bratboy" > wrote in message
> > sadly my only experience with a fx5200 has left a bad taste and at this
> > point I would not wish it on my worse enemy. Fortunatly I didnt have to
> pay
> > cash for it but it honestly isnt even worth the cost of shipping IMHO
hehe

Dave
July 14th 03, 07:20 AM
What is it clocked at?
Dave

"CeeBee" > wrote in message
. 6.67...
> "AnybodyŽ" > wrote
>
> > My own exp with my Asus fx5200 is great, I have not had a single
> > problem and it plays all the games I want it too with high settings
> > and no glitches, lol did I get lucky?
> >

> Same card, same experience. No problems, great buy.
>
> --
> CeeBee
>

> CeeBee's Rant @ http://www.geocities.com/ceebee_2

CeeBee
July 14th 03, 06:30 PM
"Dave" > wrote

> What is it clocked at?
> Dave

I put it in the slot, closed my PC, started XP, installed the drivers and
continued using my PC. I like to keep it simple.