PDA

View Full Version : What's this input on old TV?

Erik Jšlevik
July 6th 03, 02:32 PM
This might not be strictly the right place to ask but I was wondering if
anyone knows what the output labelled VIDEO IN in the following picture is:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/erik.jalevik/tvback.jpg

It's from a really old TV that hasn't even got scart and it looks identical
to the TV out on my GeForce4. So my question is, is there any chance that
just connecting these two with a long cable would work? Or would I need some
conversion cable from the video card to RF?

Thanks.

Gary MacKenzie
July 6th 03, 04:59 PM
On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 14:59:41 GMT, "Biz" > wrote:

>Unless you can figure out how to use that audio input, the composite video input will be useless.
>Chances are you would see no visual improvement over using an RF modulator and just plugging into
>the aerial input.

is it a phillips tv by any chance ?
if so i can give you the wiring info for the audio.

Erik Jšlevik
July 6th 03, 07:27 PM
"Gary MacKenzie" > wrote in message
> is it a phillips tv by any chance ?

Nope, Granada. :/

Erik Jšlevik
July 6th 03, 07:28 PM
"John Russell" > wrote in message

> Is there a hole in the middle of the white part for a single pin?

Yes, it looks just like an RCA connector and an RCA plug also fits in it so
I suppose I'll give it a try.

Erik Jšlevik
July 6th 03, 07:29 PM
"Dan F" > wrote in message
> Looks to me like its either an RCA or BNC connector. If its BNC you will
> need a little converter but other than that it should work fine.

What's the difference? An RCA plug fits.

Loz H
July 6th 03, 11:16 PM
Erik Jšlevik > spewed forth in a fit of
boredom.

> This might not be strictly the right place to ask but I was wondering
> if anyone knows what the output labelled VIDEO IN in the following
> picture is:
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/erik.jalevik/tvback.jpg
>
> It's from a really old TV that hasn't even got scart and it looks
> identical to the TV out on my GeForce4. So my question is, is there
> any chance that just connecting these two with a long cable would
> work? Or would I need some conversion cable from the video card to RF?
>
> Thanks.

Yep. Composite video input. Should work just as well as a SCART socket
would, seeing as in most video situations, all SCART equipment uses
composite video anyway.
Connecting the two together will work just fine. I have my GF4 wired the
same way up to my old, crufty, non-SCART VCR.

As far as audio is concerned, you can get a lead from Maplins electronics
that will interface your PC soundcard to that DIN input, but why bother. I`m
sure you will get better audio quality from your existing setup. :o)

HTH

Loz H

Daniel Crichton
July 9th 03, 10:33 AM
Erik Jšlevik > wrote:

> I just tried that and I can't see a thing. What settings do I need to
> change on the computer to get the TV out signal to the TV? Is it
> enabled by default? In that case, it doesn't seem to work. I tried
> both the AV channels on the TV plus did a full search but it never
> got a signal.

You need to have the TV on and connected up before turning the PC on, as the
card needs to detect that the TV is there before enabling the TV out.

Dan

Erik Jšlevik
July 9th 03, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but still nothing, unfortunately.

"Daniel Crichton" > wrote in message
. ..
> Erik Jšlevik > wrote:
>
> > I just tried that and I can't see a thing. What settings do I need to
> > change on the computer to get the TV out signal to the TV? Is it
> > enabled by default? In that case, it doesn't seem to work. I tried
> > both the AV channels on the TV plus did a full search but it never
> > got a signal.
>
> You need to have the TV on and connected up before turning the PC on, as
the
> card needs to detect that the TV is there before enabling the TV out.
>
> Dan

Daniel Crichton
July 10th 03, 12:42 PM
Erik Jšlevik > wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion but still nothing, unfortunately.

If you go into the Display Properties does it not give the option of
switching to TV out? Once the card detects that the TV is there it should
give you the option of enabling it - it won't be turned on by default, but
you should be able to set clone/span options. If that works you can then
look at enabling DualView if you want to use the TV and monitor at the same
time showing different desktops and running at independent
resolutions/refresh rates (this is how I have my setup running).

Dan

Erik Jšlevik
July 12th 03, 10:57 PM
Excellent, thanks! I got it working after experimenting back and forth a bit
until suddenly some new tabs appeared in the properties.

I can't make the display go higher than 1024x768 on the TV though but I
suppose that's normal and it wouldn't make much difference anyway?

"Daniel Crichton" > wrote in message
> Erik Jšlevik > wrote:
> > Thanks for the suggestion but still nothing, unfortunately.
>
> If you go into the Display Properties does it not give the option of
> switching to TV out? Once the card detects that the TV is there it should
> give you the option of enabling it - it won't be turned on by default, but
> you should be able to set clone/span options. If that works you can then
> look at enabling DualView if you want to use the TV and monitor at the
same
> time showing different desktops and running at independent
> resolutions/refresh rates (this is how I have my setup running).
>
> Dan

Eudean Sun
July 13th 03, 03:00 AM
That's normal. Only newer televisions support higher resolutions; most are
stuck with 800 x 600.