PDA

View Full Version : PSU vs FX5900

Ger Tupker
July 6th 03, 09:50 AM
I recently bought a MSI FX5900 TD (Non ultra version). On the retail box, it
says that, at least a 350Watt PSU is needed. Now at some times I do have
ssome stuttering framerates. Could this be caused by the fact that I have
only a 300 Watt PSU ? Any thoughts, ideas, opinions are welcome.

Ger

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

KingStew
July 6th 03, 10:38 AM
An insufficent power supply will cause random crashes, reboots etc. Not
stuttering framerates.

"Ger Tupker" > wrote in message
m...
> I recently bought a MSI FX5900 TD (Non ultra version). On the retail box,
it
> says that, at least a 350Watt PSU is needed. Now at some times I do have
> ssome stuttering framerates. Could this be caused by the fact that I have
> only a 300 Watt PSU ? Any thoughts, ideas, opinions are welcome.
>
> Ger

> FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
> Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter
> http://mail.giantcompany.com

July 6th 03, 11:19 AM
Power supplies are very cheap, even in the Netherlands, (I live there) so go
ahead and get a higher rated power supply at least to eliminate that
possibility. Ensure your motherboard chipset drivers are current, you're
using the latest NVIDIA drivers, and if your motherboard manufacturer
recommends any type of bios update for video problems then also do that as
well. In the Netherlands this is the webpage to shop for low prices:

http://www.tweakers.net/pricewatch

regards

"Ger Tupker" > wrote in message
m...
> I recently bought a MSI FX5900 TD (Non ultra version). On the retail box,
it
> says that, at least a 350Watt PSU is needed. Now at some times I do have
> ssome stuttering framerates. Could this be caused by the fact that I have
> only a 300 Watt PSU ? Any thoughts, ideas, opinions are welcome.
>
> Ger

> FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
> Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter
> http://mail.giantcompany.com

July 6th 03, 11:41 AM
I forgot to mention that I have an MSI FX 5800 (non ultra) and it realy
needs a 350 watt power supply.

regards

"Ger Tupker" > wrote in message
m...
> I recently bought a MSI FX5900 TD (Non ultra version). On the retail box,
it
> says that, at least a 350Watt PSU is needed. Now at some times I do have
> ssome stuttering framerates. Could this be caused by the fact that I have
> only a 300 Watt PSU ? Any thoughts, ideas, opinions are welcome.
>
> Ger

> FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
> Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter
> http://mail.giantcompany.com

Ger Tupker
July 6th 03, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the reactions sofar. Could the stuttering be caused by caching to
harddisk?, in which case a memory upgrade might/could solve the matter?

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"Ger Tupker" > schreef in bericht
m...
> I recently bought a MSI FX5900 TD (Non ultra version). On the retail box,
it
> says that, at least a 350Watt PSU is needed. Now at some times I do have
> ssome stuttering framerates. Could this be caused by the fact that I have
> only a 300 Watt PSU ? Any thoughts, ideas, opinions are welcome.
>
> Ger

> FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
> Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter
> http://mail.giantcompany.com

Incognito
July 6th 03, 07:02 PM
I am curious. Why types of games are you getting stuttering frame rates in
with the 5900?

"Ger Tupker" > wrote in message
m...
> I recently bought a MSI FX5900 TD (Non ultra version). On the retail box,
it
> says that, at least a 350Watt PSU is needed. Now at some times I do have
> ssome stuttering framerates. Could this be caused by the fact that I have
> only a 300 Watt PSU ? Any thoughts, ideas, opinions are welcome.
>
> Ger

> FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
> Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter
> http://mail.giantcompany.com

Ger Tupker
July 7th 03, 02:13 PM
UT2003, Devastation, GTA3 Vice City etc. I think it has to do with caching
of the harddisk. It's not all the time. Mostly at the beginning. I guess I
have to OC a little. Only not a lot known yet as to OC'billity from MSI
FX5900 VT.

"Incognito" > schreef in bericht
> I am curious. Why types of games are you getting stuttering frame rates
in
> with the 5900?
>

> "Ger Tupker" > wrote in message
> m...
> > I recently bought a MSI FX5900 TD (Non ultra version). On the retail
box,
> it
> > says that, at least a 350Watt PSU is needed. Now at some times I do have
> > ssome stuttering framerates. Could this be caused by the fact that I
have
> > only a 300 Watt PSU ? Any thoughts, ideas, opinions are welcome.
> >
> > Ger
> >
> > --

> > FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
> > Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter
> > http://mail.giantcompany.com

carchadon
July 7th 03, 02:42 PM
Disk activity will stutter the display of a game or any other high CPU graphical
task - this isnt the Graphics card's fault but a CPU/Disk Read problem - add
more RAM or find out what it is using the disk up.

Ger Tupker wrote:

> UT2003, Devastation, GTA3 Vice City etc. I think it has to do with caching
> of the harddisk. It's not all the time. Mostly at the beginning. I guess I
> have to OC a little. Only not a lot known yet as to OC'billity from MSI
> FX5900 VT.
>
> "Incognito" > schreef in bericht
> > I am curious. Why types of games are you getting stuttering frame rates
> in
> > with the 5900?
> >

> > "Ger Tupker" > wrote in message
> > m...
> > > I recently bought a MSI FX5900 TD (Non ultra version). On the retail
> box,
> > it
> > > says that, at least a 350Watt PSU is needed. Now at some times I do have
> > > ssome stuttering framerates. Could this be caused by the fact that I
> have
> > > only a 300 Watt PSU ? Any thoughts, ideas, opinions are welcome.
> > >
> > > Ger
> > >
> > > --

> > > FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
> > > Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter
> > > http://mail.giantcompany.com

edde
July 7th 03, 03:10 PM
It may also be the drivers.
Appaerently the 44.03's can cause problems in those games.
The software support pages for GTA VC, Enter The Matrix, and a couple other
games specifically recommend the 43.45's, and to stay away from the 44.03's.

One guy in here fixed his stuttering problems with the 43.45's after using
the 44.03's

"carchadon" > wrote in message
> Disk activity will stutter the display of a game or any other high CPU
graphical
> task - this isnt the Graphics card's fault but a CPU/Disk Read problem -
add
> more RAM or find out what it is using the disk up.
>
> Ger Tupker wrote:
>
> > UT2003, Devastation, GTA3 Vice City etc. I think it has to do with
caching
> > of the harddisk. It's not all the time. Mostly at the beginning. I guess
> > have to OC a little. Only not a lot known yet as to OC'billity from MSI
> > FX5900 VT.
> >
> > "Incognito" > schreef in bericht
> > > I am curious. Why types of games are you getting stuttering frame
rates
> > in
> > > with the 5900?
> > >

> > > "Ger Tupker" > wrote in message
> > > m...
> > box,
> > > it
> > have

KingStew
July 7th 03, 08:06 PM
Try defragmenting your hard disk but it sounds like you could do with some
more ram. 512mb is plenty for xp.

"edde" > wrote in message
> It may also be the drivers.
> Appaerently the 44.03's can cause problems in those games.
> The software support pages for GTA VC, Enter The Matrix, and a couple
other
> games specifically recommend the 43.45's, and to stay away from the
44.03's.

> One guy in here fixed his stuttering problems with the 43.45's after using
> the 44.03's
>

> "carchadon" > wrote in message
> > Disk activity will stutter the display of a game or any other high CPU
> graphical
> > task - this isnt the Graphics card's fault but a CPU/Disk Read problem -
> add
> > more RAM or find out what it is using the disk up.
> >
> > Ger Tupker wrote:
> >
> > > UT2003, Devastation, GTA3 Vice City etc. I think it has to do with
> caching
> > > of the harddisk. It's not all the time. Mostly at the beginning. I
guess
> > > have to OC a little. Only not a lot known yet as to OC'billity from
MSI
> > > FX5900 VT.
> > >
> > > "Incognito" > schreef in bericht
> rates
> > > in

> > > box,
> have
> > > have

Incognito
July 8th 03, 04:16 AM
I have yet to find a game that runs bad while using my GeForce 2 GTS Pro
including GTA Vice City, Splinter Cell, etc... at 1280x1024.

You should not have to overclock your card yet. Like others suggested make
sure you have at least 512MB RAM when running games though Windows XP. As
well, of course, your processor and motherboard may be at the end of its
useful life which if true (since you didn't mention specs) could be the
cause of your problems. The kick ass video card will not make games run
great if you don't have the kick ass cpu to go along with it.

Ger Tupker
July 8th 03, 06:00 PM
Okay People,.

Mem is already 512 Mb, (Kingston DDR 333, Value, Cas 2.5 higher settings)
under XP.
Other Spec's are; Asus P4S8X with latest Sis AGP driver 1.16a (Earlier I
returned a Hercules Radeon 9700 Pro which wouldn't work i.c.w. my Asus Mobo,
maybe also due to insufficient PSU !?) SB Live 5.1 Value, P4 2,53 Ghz 533
processor FSB 533. Maybe drivers have to be developped further by Nvidia?
The problem with the Radeon 9700 Pro was, that it would completely lock up
after some twenty to thirty minutes UT2003 and other Games. Then only hard
reset remained. Then it worked again for about the same period. My gut
feeling says that image quality and smoothness of picture were better with
the Radeon during the period it worked.

Again any ideas, suggestions etc, etc.

PS Thanks sofar for all (future)comments.