PDA

View Full Version : 1.0-4363 Linux driver - Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!

Jason Becker
July 6th 03, 12:24 AM
Hi All.

I have a Nvidia GeForce2 MX 400 video card that I'm using with
Mandrake 9.1. I installed the latest Nvidia driver available from:

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_display_ia32_1.0-4363

Problem is that it seems rather flakey. It will work for awhile and
then X will fail to load. The /var/log/mdkkde.log writes the following
entry:

-begin-

Using vt 7
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

-end-

If I:

insmod ./nvidia.o

it will work fine again, for awhile.

Anyone else experienced the same? I think this driver is buggy. This
is becoming rather annoying...

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Chris Wilkinson
July 6th 03, 01:55 AM
Hi there,

Jason Becker wrote:
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 contains the definitions for screens, monitors,
drivers etc...

Try running Mandrake Control Center to make sure all your monitor,
screen res, display manager chooser etc settings are correct (max
refresh rates etc...), then check the above file to see they read
OK.

Also, are you running an AMD CPU (Duron/Athlon)? If so, you will
need the amd32 version, not the ia32 version (for genuine Intel
CPU's). Grab it from nvidia's website...

Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, New Zealand.

[email protected] writeme.com
July 6th 03, 07:47 AM
On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 12:55:56 +1200, Chris Wilkinson
> wrote:

>Also, are you running an AMD CPU (Duron/Athlon)? If so, you will
>need the amd32 version, not the ia32 version (for genuine Intel
>CPU's). Grab it from nvidia's website...

There isn't an AMD32 on the website. I use the IA32 with MDK 9.1 just
fine on my Athlon.

Andrew.

Jason Becker
July 6th 03, 04:13 PM
Chris Wilkinson > wrote in message >...
> Hi there,
>
> Jason Becker wrote:
> > (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
> > (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
> > (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 contains the definitions for screens, monitors,
> drivers etc...

It all looks good... The same config file works fine (Tuxracer,
Chromium) once I manually install the module/driver. To be more
specific, the only time there seems to be a problem is upon
boot/reboot. With the Nvidia driver the screen flickers a few times
(normal) but instead of the Nvidia splash screen I get the init 3
console screen.

> Try running Mandrake Control Center to make sure all your monitor,
> screen res, display manager chooser etc settings are correct (max
> refresh rates etc...), then check the above file to see they read
> OK.

Also looks good. I did try changing from the Mandrake DM to the KDE DM
but that didn't help.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Cheers

Jason Becker
July 6th 03, 04:14 PM
baskitcaise > wrote in message >...
> baskitcaise wrote:
>
> To the OP have a look at your /etc/modules.conf and see if it has the line:-
>

> alias char-major-195 nvidia
>
> in it ( should be down the bottom somewhere ) if not then add this line and
> reboot, see if this makes any difference.

That line exists.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Cheers

Jason Becker
July 6th 03, 04:39 PM
(Jason Becker) wrote in message >...
> Hi All.
>
> I have a Nvidia GeForce2 MX 400 video card that I'm using with
> Mandrake 9.1. I installed the latest Nvidia driver available from:
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_display_ia32_1.0-4363
>
> Problem is that it seems rather flakey. It will work for awhile and
> then X will fail to load. The /var/log/mdkkde.log writes the following
> entry:
>
> -begin-
>
> Using vt 7
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
>
> -end-
>
> If I:
>
> insmod ./nvidia.o
>
> it will work fine again, for awhile.
>
> Anyone else experienced the same? I think this driver is buggy. This
> is becoming rather annoying...
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Cheers

As a workaround I have added:

insmod /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o

to my /etc/rc.local

Cheers

Walt
July 6th 03, 07:19 PM
In the readme it explains how to start
the nvidia module on boot up it the
correct way to start a module. In
addition the readme has the neccessary
info on configuring X.

--
Linux - Debian distro of choice
Linux Counter #314187

Chris Wilkinson
July 10th 03, 11:35 AM
hi there,

baskitcaise wrote:
> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>
>>Also, are you running an AMD CPU (Duron/Athlon)? If so, you will
>>need the amd32 version, not the ia32 version (for genuine Intel
>>CPU's). Grab it from nvidia's website...
>>
>>Kind regards,
>>
>>Chris Wilkinson, New Zealand.
>
> Not wishing to doubt you here but I have never seen nvidia drivers
> specifically for the athlon ( there are some compiled for the 64bit arch but
> not 32bit )

you're right there, ooops!

ia must mean iNTEL/aMD32...

Checking the doc that comes with the nvidia driver is also a good
idea, as its a quite comprehensive one...

L8R,

CW.